T34 vs. King Tiger

The more I think about it the more I think - I should just try to build ONE tank to start and actually finish it.

Guess that why I called this Scale Model Addict and not Scale Model Realistically Well Balanced and In Moderation.

Scott Girvan said:
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. Honestly, I envy your knowledge of all this stuff. It's so cool. I should get some WWII DVDs.

I'll get some info about the Sherman I have - A winter scene would be fun.

I have to finish the Spitfire first......

Seems like you have a lot to do, Scott, haha!

I'd love to lock myself in the mancave for a week or two with a couple cases of Coke and a bucket of chicken. Might actually get some model building done...after the chicken.

Last thing I worked on was the battle Droid and that was 2010. Insanity.

SMA! - It's like opening a campground because you like camping. :p

Ok without digging for info and going by what I remember, which isn't very much lately. Battle of Kursk was 43, so definite PzIV G or H, Panther and no KT. The Tiger I was in service on the Eastern front and during the Kursk battle. Their were also PzIII 's still around including the Stug III.
As for the T-34, you might have had the later /76 and the /85. The 85 could knock out the Tigers on their flanks and rears, but not head on. Same situ for the Sherman. The rounds could penetrate the side armor of the Tiger I, vertical plates..but the KT had sloped armor like the Panther. So the best way to knock them out was from the rear, or of course the tracks.
Also to remember the Ferdinands were there as well. And another thing is that what is shown on the History channel is basically correct, except for some of the footage. They may show a KT, but it was from someplace else. I have DVD's that show N.Africa with the Germans using late war tanks on the russian plains or N. Italy. They use what footage they have to fill the space but it's not always correct. You'll also notice they use the same segments several times. just food for thought and help clear some things.
KT in the Bulge area is OK. It also doesn't have to be knocked out in any way...they always ran out of fuel in late 44 and especially in 45.

Whatever you do I am looking forward to seeing you build it.

scratchmod

Thanks again - I'm no rivet counter but man I do love reading all this history. All the names of tanks kinda spins my head but that's part of the curve.

Next season of SMA - a tank for sure. It's decided.

I agree with scratchmod.
And dont forget, most Tigers were knocked out by Aircraft, cause american and british tanks couldnt match them. Only M-36 and Sherman Firefly were dangerous for the Tigers

The breakdowns did most Tiger I's in on the Eastern front...toooo technical compared to the T-34 and Sherman. What kept the German going was the workhorse PzkPfw IV.

scratchmod

Have you ever heard, that german maintanance needs !3! Sdkfz 9 to pull a Tiger ?? Awesome!!

Yep very good point chief, but they didn't always have them around :D The KT's were basically on there own...would need a boat load of Famo's to pull one of those. The maint crews did an awesome job considering. Many a tank was recovered, but some were demo'd by their crews, as on all the fronts.

scratchmod

I read somewere, that Maybach sends civilian workers to the maintenace-units helping to repair and maintain the engines.

The only vehicle able to pull a King Tiger quick out of the line of fire was another KT. For that reason much KT crews lay their pulling cables cross the hull

Chiefpettyofficer said:
The only vehicle able to pull a King Tiger quick out of the line of fire was another KT. For that reason much KT crews lay their pulling cables cross the hull

That was a Common directive from th OKW( German High Command) Most Crews were instructed to keep Their Tow cables "hitched" on th forward end, Especially when going into Combat.

Chiefpettyofficer said:
Have you ever heard, that german maintanance needs !3! Sdkfz 9 to pull a Tiger ?? Awesome!!

CHIEF, I have some Pix from th 653rd. Combat history showing 4-5 Famos trying to Pull a Ferdinand ! (70 tonnes empty, 90 tonnes Fully armed & crewed !)

Yeah , SCOTT send up a Flair ..... You'll get hooked Fo' Sho ! Also .... as Much as We collectively know about WWII Armor, I bet you know about th Star Wars Universe. So I might be hitting you up for a "Trade" on Intel ?

LOL - I guess that's true. I do know what race Ponda Baba was. I'm such a geek.

That greatest tank battles show got me primed up.

:D ;D ;D I read that somewhere.

Ok this evening I checked out the previews to part 2 of what you saw Scott. They basically show the Pz IV, Panther and the Tiger I. For the Russians it was the T-34 models /76 and /85. I don't know if the Russians still had lend lease Shermans at Kursk.

scratchmod

Scott, I wish I could help on this subject ..but I have no clue ... I just wish you would build something so I could put something of yours in the gallery ... lol

I agree 100% about the rivet counting..but this is a bit different. Placing the correct vehicle or plane in the right theater of op. is important. Kinda like a B29 flying missions over Europe ;) or a KT in N. Africa, or an F1 car racing in Daytona.....you get the point right.
The most important thing is to have fun but also not to forget historical accuracy. You could say it's a what-if tank. I'm not very anal about most things and just love to build and paint so what ever you do will be cool.

scratchmod

Rob, I agree 110%.

No one building sci-fi would place a Ma.K. on Tatooine - or an X-Wing on the moon. Well, some one actually might do that - .

As far as human history goes getting the correct vehicle in the correct theatre is important.

Latest posts

Back