My feeble attempt at a T34/76

flyboy2610

I used to build model tanks when I was a kid, back when all we had were wood burning TV's! (The early 70's.)
I kind of fell away from the hobby during my adult life, what with work and family and all that. But I've rediscovered my passion for it. This is the first model tank I've built in decades. I'm getting better at using an airbrush, but am by no means an expert at it.
The background is a photo of a set from the movie "Stalingrad". It depicts the Barmaley Fountain, which stood in front of the main train station. This photo was taken with my Nikon D7000.
Tamiya T-34.jpeg

(I need to get a new printer. That one's dying.)
These next photos were taken with my Kodak EasyShare Z981. I think I need to adjust some color balance settings on that camera.
100_0089.JPG

100_0090.JPG

100_0091.JPG

100_0092.JPG

Those pics came out too red. I'll have to work on that.
Insp

I know the T34/76 didn't have the extra armor plate on the front, but I liked it, so on it went! Modeler's license. Or lie-sonce, as Inspector Clouseau pronounced it.
My next project is going to be a 1/35 (32?) Monogram M48A2 Patton, painted and decaled as an IDF Magach 2.

The Monogram Patton tank is 1/35 scale. Most likely you’re going to find out real quick it’s a re-pop and nothing fits anymore. The original molds are so old, they lose their quality of fit.

My son got me the P-61 Black Widow kit a couple years back. Horrible kit because it is a Revellogram kit. Nothing fits, parts looks too skinny/too small from the original white box version of the 70s and 80s.

My advice? Get the Tamiya Patton tank instead….

I used to build model tanks when I was a kid, back when all we had were wood burning TV's! (The early 70's.)
I kind of fell away from the hobby during my adult life, what with work and family and all that. But I've rediscovered my passion for it. This is the first model tank I've built in decades. I'm getting better at using an airbrush, but am by no means an expert at it.
The background is a photo of a set from the movie "Stalingrad". It depicts the Barmaley Fountain, which stood in front of the main train station. This photo was taken with my Nikon D7000.
View attachment 110291

(I need to get a new printer. That one's dying.)
These next photos were taken with my Kodak EasyShare Z981. I think I need to adjust some color balance settings on that camera.
View attachment 110292

View attachment 110293

View attachment 110294

View attachment 110295

Those pics came out too red. I'll have to work on that.
Insp

I know the T34/76 didn't have the extra armor plate on the front, but I liked it, so on it went! Modeler's license. Or lie-sonce, as Inspector Clouseau pronounced it.
My next project is going to be a 1/35 (32?) Monogram M48A2 Patton, painted and decaled as an IDF Magach 2.
Nice build. Pantherman

Nice work both the tank and the display stand.
Thanks, Jim!
The display case is from Hobby Lobby. IIRC it cost around $8. The pavement is O scale Plastruct stone sheet. I painted it gray, used some panel liner to accent the stones, and used some HO scale talus as debris. I used contact cement to glue the sheet to the display case bottom, and Elmers white glue to attach the tank to the sheet. If I ever need to remove it I can just wet it down and wait for the glue to soften.

The Monogram Patton tank is 1/35 scale. Most likely you’re going to find out real quick it’s a re-pop and nothing fits anymore. The original molds are so old, they lose their quality of fit.

My son got me the P-61 Black Widow kit a couple years back. Horrible kit because it is a Revellogram kit. Nothing fits, parts looks too skinny/too small from the original white box version of the 70s and 80s.

My advice? Get the Tamiya Patton tank instead….
I have read some rather spirited discussions on different sites as to the actual scale of the M48A2! The heads of the figures do seem to be the same size as those that came with the T34/76 kit, though. My opinion is that it is in fact 1/35 scale.
I am aware of the issues and limitations of the kit. I love a challenge. Bring it on.
To paraphrase something Ernest P. Worrell once said: "Real men are not intimidated by a model kit with fitment issues. And, ironically, neither am I."
I appreciate your feedback!

With 50 plus years in model building, I do love a challenge. However… kits with fitment issues - especially re-pop kits….they’re not worth the time and headaches. “Real men not being intimidated by a model with fitment issues” goes far beyond that. Not the first time I’ve trashed a poor fitting re-pop kit - not because I’m intimidated by them but the fact they‘re just pure garbage and they’re not what it used to be.

Latest posts

Back