T34 vs. King Tiger

Junkie

Hi,
Planning my next videos - wanna build a tank.

I have a T34, King Tiger and a Sherman. Just wondering which two of these would have battled each other face to face? Possible diorama ideas?

Looks like the T-34 is your best bet, I Googled King Tiger and in a wiki article there is an entry that says this..On the road to Oględów, three Tiger IIs were destroyed in an ambush by a few T-34-85s (which was cited from the book IS-2 Heavy Tank 1944-1973 by Steve Zaloga), it goes on to say this as well,
Up to fourteen Tiger IIs of the 501st were lost in the area between 12 and 13 August to flanking ambushes by the Soviet T-34-85 and IS-2 tanks in inconvenient sandy terrain.

Tiger two's (king tigers) and 'Sherman' tanks must have met up in the Ardennse offensive (battle of the bulge)

8)

I would think you can't go wrong either way, KT vs Sherman, or T34 vs KT.....I am sure that each of them met up with a KT on the battlefield at some point.

Now if you want to dive a little more into it....what version of the KT, T34 and Sherman?

There were far less Porsche turreted KTs then there were Henchel turreted ones, as well what T34? a 76 or 85? Which Sherman.

I found two Images in my collection. Each contains a Sherman and a different type of King Tinger (Porsche and Henschel turret) Maybe they help :))

King Tigers and T-34 met at the german Plattenseeoffensive at Hungary, March 1945

[attachment deleted by admin]

I have the T34/76 and the KT Henschel turret.

I watched History Channel's Greatest Tank Battles last night. It was about The Battle of Kursk - T34 vs. Panzers I think. It was so cool to learn about that battle. The T34's actually drove up on the Germany tanks - would make a great diorama but I don't have a Panzer.

There was another story where a T34 was in a gully and as driving up the side to get out of it (the gully) a Panzer was directly above him (they would be perpendicular to each other) - another great display there....

I should just get me a Tamiya Panzer already.

This one:

TM35059.jpg

Hey Scott, here`s a T34/76 i did last year....................might wet ya appetite buddy ;D

DSCF1837.jpg

DSCF1838.jpg

And a couple prior to the snow.....

DSCF1596.jpg

DSCF1589.jpg

`Boots`

Ah, the last Type/76. Hm, so far as I know, the russian Tank units were unique fittet with the T-34/85 when the King Tiger entered service....

So, I would recommend the Sherman for your Diorama

Thanks Cheif, my first attempt at snow and a base...LOL, probably a little bit of Rob Scratchmod influence with the rustin` as well.. ;)

`Boots`

Looks great Boots.

Dave - good points. Although - couldn't it could be plausible that there were some T34/76s around when the KT was around?

I'm just thinking about that scene with T34 in a huge ditch coming up under the Tiger - Or T34 hiding from Tiger - they are so different in size, the contrast could be cool.

Is that Ken I hear? Build how you like and like how you build.

A panzer would be both, what I wanna build and accurate.

SCOTT,

I believe the T-34/76 would have been outdated by th time the King Tiger entered th battle field. Plus with th T-34/76's smaller gun it would not have been able to penetrate th KT's armor.

Here are a couple of Links that I found on both Tanks & when they entered Service.

T-34/85 - http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/russia/rpt34/rpt34.htm

King Tiger - http://www.worldwar2aces.com/ They also speek specifically about th Henschel Turreted ones.

Now, of course it all comes down to How accurate you actually want to be.

The Sherman's met th KT's in battle during th Winter of '44, as KEN stated, during th Ardennes Offensive & afterwards on into Germany. But then again ..it depends on What type of Sherman you have. As these tanks went through a few production changes after being introduced to th ETO.

Not that I'm trying to rain on your Parade , by any means. I love th Kursk Idea with th T-34/76 on an incline & a Panzer IV gettin ready to get Blasted. Now IF you wanna do that Dio - Get a Panzer IV G early, or th Dragon Panzer IV F1 ( which essentially IS a Panzer IV G)

OH !!!! Another Good Dio - Kursk - Same Idea, but instead of a Pz. IV G ... How about a Ferdinand rolling up onto th incline & the T-34/76( at th bottom) gettin ready to Blast it's belly ? If you chose th Ferdinand I have th Combat History of both th 653rd. & 654th ( They were Ferdinand Divisions, starting out in Kursk) Tons O' cool pix from th battle field !

Again ... I'm not trying to come off as a know it all. But I've studied up a little on th German Panzers.

Of course if you did go th Sherman vs KT route it would make for a Very Cool winter Snowy setting ??

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. Honestly, I envy your knowledge of all this stuff. It's so cool. I should get some WWII DVDs.

I'll get some info about the Sherman I have - A winter scene would be fun.

I have to finish the Spitfire first......

Scott Girvan said:
Is that Ken I hear? Build how you like and like how you build.

8)

*but I would do the Sherman...

just sayin'

panzerace007 said:
The Sherman's met th KT's in battle during th Winter of '44, as KEN stated, during th Ardennes Offensive & afterwards on into Germany. But then again ..it depends on What type of Sherman you have. As these tanks went through a few production changes after being introduced to th ETO.

...and by "a few production changes" he means HOLY CRAP THEY HAD HOW MANY VARIATIONS?!?

;D

Latest posts

Back