Stripping paint safely.

fubar

Hi all.

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what they use to strip paint from plastic models safely without melting or damaging the plastic underneath.

I ask because i've been given a Games Workshop Carnifex but the last owner had started to paint it up, i want to paint it in my Hive Fleets colours but think just painting over the top will start to hide some of the models finer details.

20130504_174756.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

TTFN

Not sure where you live, but if you are near a Walmart, go into the automotive section and you will see an item called Castrol Super Clean. Comes in a purple bottle, and is basically a degreaser/cleaner.

Stuff works wonders for taking paint off. Just get a plastic container with a cover, pour in the CSC, your parts you want to strip, cover and wait.

Once you are done, take out the parts, you may need an old tooth brush to get into seams and corners to help get the old paint out, but then take your used solution and run it through a fine mesh filter, or coffee filter works well also, filter out the used paint from the solution and pour the solution back into your bottle to be re-used on a later project.

CSC won't harm plastic or resin, just make sure you are wearing rubber gloves when handling it. It isn't really bad stuff, but it will liquify the dead skin cells on your hands, which will make your hands slimy and slippery (however your hands come out nice and soft afterwards! ;D ;D)

Thanks for the reply, i live in the UK but i imagine we have that over here also....i shall pop into my local motorists centre for a look see, nice idea about the coffee filter and reuse it, i probably wouldn't have thought of that myself!

Also it sounds like a nice replacement for my Nivea skin cream too. ;)

TTFN

For chrome, CSC will work also. I have used in the past just straight ammonia, but that is nasty stuff.

Last few chrome pieces I have stripped, Windex in an ultrasonic cleaner. There is enough ammonia in Windex and with the agitation of the USC, it takes the chrome right off. Mine runs on 8 min cycles, I think I ran 3-4 cycles and the parts were down to bare plastic. Works like a charm!

Elm City Hobbies said:
For chrome, CSC will work also. I have used in the past just straight ammonia, but that is nasty stuff.

Last few chrome pieces I have stripped, Windex in an ultrasonic cleaner. There is enough ammonia in Windex and with the agitation of the USC, it takes the chrome right off. Mine runs on 8 min cycles, I think I ran 3-4 cycles and the parts were down to bare plastic. Works like a charm!

I was wondering about that, i'll try it next time! would you advise the ultrasonice for prepaint cleaning too? maybe with water only?

Drpepeprz said:
Elm City Hobbies said:

I was wondering about that, i'll try it next time! would you advise the ultrasonice for prepaint cleaning too? maybe with water only?

You mean for cleaning the parts to get mold release off of them?

I don't know if just water would do it. Mold release is a petroleum product, and of course oil and water won't mix. However, the same Windex would probably be enough to take the mold release agent off of parts in a USC.

I know that good old 91% Isopropyl Alcohol will strip most paints and chrome if left in long enough. It will even eat Lacquer paints.

Yeah I use simple green. I've used it to clean paint off many Citadel plastic and lead models. Also resin. It won't damage the plastic.

It does take about 12-24 hrs depending on how thick the paint is. Also, wear gloves or it will seriously irritate your skin. I use an old toothbrush and just scrub it off, may need a pick or pointy instrument to get into the crevices.

Cool thanks, i use good ol' Isopropyl Alcohol at work so hopefully can lay my hands on some, but ive never heard of 'simple green' before!

TTFN

Just a note on this old tread...

Just went to get some Castrol Super Clean today and it just called Super Clean now :D

Still works like magic!

Drpepeprz said:
Just a note on this old tread...

Just went to get some Castrol Super Clean today and it just called Super Clean now :D

Still works like magic!

Yeah I think Walmart bought the name or something from Castrol and just changed it to Super Clean, same stuff in the bottle. There is also another one out there (although not sure it is available in Canada) called Purple Power or something like that...essentially the same thing.

Latest posts

Back