[SFMTS] Entries and Group Build Questions

Re: Entries and Group Build Questions

Sorry about that blurt, I was having strange sense of humor day... :D

However some time I think it might be cool to do a build that kind of mashes two really well known SCi-fi scenes, kind of like those Youtube videos, "Star Trek vs. Star Wars" or "Ironman vs. Batman" or such.

JMac said:
How about; Ironman shooting an Imperial Tank in Docking Bay 94...(with optional explosion)

Ok - well maybe not

I thought it was funny........

Let me get this straight, this will be a group build, but everyone does their own thing? I have a couple of ideas in mind.......

Yeah, More like a Group Theme Build. Should be fun!

Grendels said:
Let me get this straight, this will be a group build, but everyone does their own thing? I have a couple of ideas in mind.......

Yah, like Scott said, it's a theme build :)

Amended/added rules:

Prizes:
Entry into raffle for each completed entry (one win per member)
$20 Gift Certificate for Starshipmodeler.com store (3 will be given away)

GB Rules & Details
* You may add more models/materials to your scene after you had declared your initial models/materials as long as they are in an un-started condition.

More prizes will be added to the raffle later :)

Grendels said:
Thanks, just wanted to have it clear

NP. We'll run some shorter SIG (Special Interest Group) builds though in between here and there. I don't see why we couldn't do a one month Jager build or a one month Ma.K build just for fun. :)

I'm aproaching the end of my current project, and allready have an idea for the entry, so I'm deffinately in.
So if I manage to get all the stuff required for this idea (and I probably will) this is going to be a scene of a rebell's snowspeeder takeoff from the Echo-base (Episode V)

Solander said:
I'm aproaching the end of my current project, and allready have an idea for the entry, so I'm deffinately in.
So if I manage to get all the stuff required for this idea (and I probably will) this is going to be a scene of a rebell's snowspeeder takeoff from the Echo-base (Episode V)

AWESOME! :)

Echo Base would be really super cool. I still think that Empire Strikes Back is the best of the Star Wars movies.

I’ve been doing a little looking around and some quick research; I had a couple ideas for this group build. Both ideas were from Babylon 5 universe.

My first idea was to get a few of the Alliance Thunderbolt Starfuries and model the scene when the Starfuries are setting up the bombing run of Mars. The problem with this idea is I can’t justify the initial expense of purchasing the kits (my wife & I are renovating our house - one project at a time, and she is a forth year nursing student). So, I’m going put that one on the backburner for another time. I had for a very brief instant considered modelling Sheridans Flying Tiger doing the Death Star trench run (with Vader in pursuit)... ;D

The other idea is an Earth Force Destroyer group on patrol. I’ve wanted to have an Omega in my collection since I started modelling again a few years ago. The group might consist of an Omega, a heavy cruiser, and a couple smaller support ships with some fighters. I think I can scratch build them (I’ve been really inspired by the scratch builds on this forum). A year should give me enough time to ramp up or scale back the project as required. Lower cost to start, plus we have styrene off-cuts and scraps at work I could use, and all sorts of stuff around the house...This is what I think I’m going to do.

After watching The Last Starfighter again, I've decided to make the scene near the end where the gunstar has landed on a platform on Rilos and everyone is addressing the crowed below. I'll light up the spotlights and everything (watch the movie!)

I was going to do the gunstar landing at the trailer park but I like the other idea better. Plus I think it makes a perfect diorama as it's a tidy fixed size.

of course, it really comes down to being able to afford the $175 gunstar model...

sorien said:
After watching The Last Starfighter again, I've decided to make the scene near the end where the gunstar has landed on a platform on Rilos and everyone is addressing the crowed below. I'll light up the spotlights and everything (watch the movie!)

Geez, just slap me with a bag full of fond memories. lol The Last Starfighter. I gotta go watch that now. lol Sounds like a great idea! :)

DreamKnight said:
Haha yeh. I might be getting over my head here but worth a try!

That is what I thought when I started my contest build. I barely finished it. But, I learned a lot, and I am happy with the results.

One of my ideas for this build is the good old original series Enterprise being captured by the Tholians. I have two Tholian ships in scale with the Enterprise.

For a while I was planning on building Mos Eisley. 4'x8'. Gonna scale it back a bit. 4'x4'. I should really finish Hoth first I guess. Hate to not finish what I started but that Falcon is calling my name.

My initial thought/plan is to do a Dominion War diorama type thing. Though I have a question, can you add ships that were not seen on screen (fan based designs)?

Talen said:
My initial thought/plan is to do a Dominion War diorama type thing. Though I have a question, can you add ships that were not seen on screen (fan based designs)?

As long as it MOSTLY depicts the scene. It has to be something seen on the screen. As long as it's mostly accurate, I don't have a problem with "embellishing" or "toning it down" a little as long as it makes sense. Know what I mean? So as long as it's a battle shown in one of the shows and most of the main elements are there, I don't see why you couldn't put in some non-cannon ships. Remember, this GB is about depicting a scene that was seen in a movie or show.

The guys at ILM put in the Millenium Falcon into the Battle of Section 001 but I'm not putting a 1/2500 falcon in mine. It was only on for a brief second.

Anyone else caught the Falcon the first time? It was easier to catch in the big screen. When I saw it in the theater, I actually caught it but I wasn't sure. Turned to my G/F at the time and said, "Was that the Millenium Falcon?" She thought so too. She was the bigger Star Wars fan than Star Trek. I'm vice versa. So I figured she's catch it faster than I would.

Scott Girvan said:
For a while I was planning on building Mos Eisley. 4'x8'. Gonna scale it back a bit. 4'x4'. I should really finish Hoth first I guess. Hate to not finish what I started but that Falcon is calling my name.

Man, reading that I just went and ordered an old MPC Falcon kit. lol

Don't think my Star Trek 4 scene will work. Finally rewatched the movie and the whaling ship is only about 3 inches long. Not worth making the scene just to add something that tiny. I could double the size of the ship but I can't find any fishing ships even remotely in that size. Scale problems arise, too.

Instead I'll do the scene where the Bird of Prey is landed in the park.

Latest posts

Back