Scott's Speeder Bike

Looking at those pics, I only hope that You would once return to filming your show to demonstrate us the ways You've achieved this fantastic look, Scott.
Seriously, this is simply incredible! Even the studio model is absolutely no match for this masterpiece in its realism and overall look.
Thumbs up, buddy! I'm taking my hat off in front of your skills. :)

Thanks guys. That's quite a compliment Sol. Wow. I need to buy a power cord for my camera...really should make a video....

You all need to know that without coaching from several members here, and some loooong conversations with Ken, I'd just be slapping a wash on everything.

It's awesome that we can all share and learn. Awesome.

LOL - thanks MJ.

Solander said:
Looking at those pics, I only hope that You would once return to filming your show to demonstrate us the ways You've achieved this fantastic look, Scott.

I have to say that patience has been the biggest part. This weathering has been a process of more than a week - maybe 2 by now, a little each night. It's all AK Interactive Products...some grime here, dust there...wait...some rust here, streaks there...wait...some dirt here, chips there...wait.

I've repeated washes over several nights, chips over several nights etc... Not just one round of chipping, then washes then thi,s then that. I'm sure I've chipped the paint at least 3 times, added dust 4 times, washes - at least 3 - (even with the same color). Each layer changes the colors under it.

I'd have to say it's all that layering that makes the look...but that takes committing to many days of working on it, not just one night of weathering.

Sure is fun to practice. I think I'll try a HOTH version a bit later on.

Well, that sounds absolutely right, sort of what I'm trying to do with my models. Seems extremely logical, that when a vehicle is working it gets dirty, than smashes on a corner and gets some paint chipped off, than again some dirt, then a guy tries to give it a nearly better look by some cleaning but then woa! some rain and all the work done goes nowhere, then...e.t.c. So such an approach simulates the real processes, and thus looks so extremely realistic.
But one thing I want to ask You a lot, is if you seal each layer with some lacquer?
Cause if not, I really should try also not to do that. Its just that every time when I get to placing a next layer of whash over the previous one, I'm so much afraid to get no evidence of the previous layer I've been doing for quite a time, that I do seal it completely. I each time want to try not to, and each time can't overstep myself (I know, sounds bit sily :))
So if You say right here - don't do it, man, try not to - it will be of a very help for my nowtime condition ;D ;D

I too am interested in knowing if you clear coated/sealed each individual layer. I am weathering for the first time and am wondering if I should clear coat between layers.

Thanks agian scott!!!

I think the only way you can answer these questions Scott is with a video? ;D LOL

Take $5 from petty cash and get a new cable already, enough with the excuses ;D

Your public needs you , teach us 'o' master, teach us :D

Gag

(PS, just stunning weathering)

Why waiting in between each round? I am assuming you are waiting for it to dry?

Go to the Dollarstore, and pick up a cheap hair dryer, will speed up your waiting immensely!

Scott, the speeder is looking awesome dude, all the time taken for the weathering and washes have really paid off! just to throw an idea out there, have you thought of making this a sandtrooper version? i was considering this for my next project and your colour scheme would fit perfectly. Just an idea. :D not sure i have every seen one done but have seen reference to rebel speeders. Be cool if you did a vid of your next speeder build.

Scott Girvan said:
LOL - thanks MJ.

Solander said:

I have to say that patience has been the biggest part. This weathering has been a process of more than a week - maybe 2 by now, a little each night. It's all AK Interactive Products...some grime here, dust there...wait...some rust here, streaks there...wait...some dirt here, chips there...wait.

I've repeated washes over several nights, chips over several nights etc... Not just one round of chipping, then washes then thi,s then that. I'm sure I've chipped the paint at least 3 times, added dust 4 times, washes - at least 3 - (even with the same color). Each layer changes the colors under it.

I'd have to say it's all that layering that makes the look...but that takes committing to many days of working on it, not just one night of weathering.

Sure is fun to practice. I think I'll try a HOTH version a bit later on.
Scott are you sealing each layer of effects with a clear coat to lock them in? The AK Interactive dusts...they mix when applied one over the other, yes? If your not sealing them in doesn't a wash/filter literally wash away some of the dust effects?

Just back home...Hairdryer...got one. Works good.

I sealed the initial filter layer, and the general wash layer. After that I did a layer of oils and sealed it then it completely disappeared.

Since then, no sealing. I added the dust and some other AK FX's and then walked away. Both to allow the enamels to dry and to 'look away' from the work, then return to it fresh and a bit more objective. Added a different color of dust, pin wash etc...walk away. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I'm adding so very little AK at one time and even less thinner that it's not removing the previous stuff...well maybe a bit but not to cause a problem or 'loose' something.

I think sealing each layer is smart (and 'correct') but after loosing all the oil work I really want to practice on a dud build first - a car hood or something, not risk loosing any of this one.

AK FX's are liquid? This is why your sealing them in each time they dry? I understand the oil wash/filters washing away since your using thinner but are you sealing in the dust FX too in between layers? So here's the million dollar "dolt of the month" question. What are you using to seal each layer in with, Future? Roughly how many sealing layers would you say you've applied before final dull coat?
I know it's a lot of questions....I generally do a pin wash and carefully apply some oil filters being careful not to disturb the pin wash (also probably the wrong application for the technique) then seal. Lastly I will use Tamiya pigments, colored pencils if and when needed. then seal that in with a final dull coat.

All the AK stuff is enamel paint. Liquid, yup.

I only sealed two. Once over the filter, again over a general wash. I used Micro Satin.

No dull coat over anything on this.

I've been toolbaggin around with my AK product combinations and such. I can say there's really almost no perfect science it. I just tinker with the little bits here and there. If they're allowed proper dry time, I've found that the washes and pigments stack rather well. Pigments need to be pushed in exactly perpendicular to the surface...more like poking than brushing. The brushing is what blends it all together.....which if you want a light blend, a fluffed cottonball or poly-fil wad works well for it.

I'm delightfully jealous of how amazing these look in comparison to my Speeder Bike :)

Scott Girvan said:
and then walked away. Both to allow the enamels to dry and to 'look away' from the work, then return to it fresh and a bit more objective.

That's the best bit of advice right there Scott. I sometimes find that you can get in an almost hypnotic state when weathering, you have to remind yourself to get up and make a cup of tea or pour a pint or whatever takes you 15 minutes, you dont want to over do the weathering which is very easy to do. Less is more and all that.

Last night work started on the Scout. Copper wire armature then some aluminum foil to save on Super Sculpy. He isn't sitting 'just right' yet because he doesn't have a butt yet. LOL.

3991.jpg

3992.jpg

Going for somthing like this but with a slightly faster / in pursuit feel...and banking left.
3993.jpg

This is a MAJOR challenge...here's to trying!

Great to learn I have been doing everything about right :)
And the scout's foundation looks to be really promising. Keep it coming, buddy! ;)

Latest posts

Back