derangedwookiee's enrty: Star Wars Speeder Bike

Boy i am having one hell of time painting the scout.I cant get the white to look right.can anyone offer tips. Should i reprime in white?. Should i attempt to airbrush it. Or continue with the brush. I am using tamiya paint. I really don't want to switch brands.lack of funds.

Coverage mainly. I know i have to do multiple layers but it looks like i too white out to it and brush marka are everywhere. I stripped the white off. I am just gong to start over. Reprime it should i prime it in white , gray, or black.?

SOunds like your paint is too thick. Try thinning it.

I'd primer it grey so I could get a bit of shading.

I have a little trick.... but I am pretty sure.... some will cringe at it ! so I Paint all my scouts with FLAT white ! No shinny stuff... too hard to get a good looking white !

After my White FLAT paint has dried ! a few coats later.... I start buffing it ! to a semi shine... look ! it takes all the bumps and imperfections in the paint ! which always look frosty... cuz I spray at high velocity ! my bad !

ok.... what do I use for buffing ? a ""USED-up "" Scotch pads... (scratch pads) or (Green pads).... hope you know what I mean ??? it has to be very well USED so it is ""extra soft"" ! at the extreme limit I would use an OLD Cotton T-Shirt!

That way my Flat whites becomes Smoother and shinny ! then I seal with FUTURE !

Ok... that's My WAY !!!! and not the only way! I too had the hardest of time painting white !

later dude !

The green one you use for washing dishes... or sanding down fine woods...

Yeah nice tip Norm. But it is tricky hand painting tamiya, it dries so quick that you end up with brush marks and blobs etc. Have you not got any accecs to any enamel paint (which brushes better) or better yet Vallejo? But if you definitely want to stick to Tamiya you could pick up some retarder?

I have to second Norm's method, I had a pain painting the wheel bays in my A-10. I used flat white and then glossed it with future.

Good luck!

Well my 3rd attempt at the white armor. I think one or two more coats and i am ready for some buffing like yall suggested. If that doesn't work I will strip it and maybe mask and spray paint some white.
2012-05-05_19-57-56_757.jpg

I would buff in between coats! To make sure you don't burry some paintbrush strokes to deeply into the layers below! You would never get them out! If any are present!

And don't be afraid to buy a few thin brushes.... There is a lot of tight places around the Armour pads you will need to contour...

Take your time! Lots of time left!

Keep up the good work!

Great work so far, the finish is excellent, I can't wait to see the figure complete.
I will be starting this kit when i finish the AMT Slave1 i am working on.

White paint!!!!! I hate you white paint! 3rd attempt failed looked good in the pic but not good in real life. To top it off the Scout got dropped and the arms cracked off at the joints.gotta redo that aswell. So i took alcohol to it and stripped down to primer.. I am going to meditate relax and try to be come one with the white paint. I think am going to forego brush painting the white on and try a rattle can or something. then brush paint the back on. I wish white behaved like black

waiting for payday to proceed with the painting. mean while I had an itch to crack open another kit. A 1/72 scale Panzerhaubitze 2000. Its so tiny compared to what I am use to...

I should have some pics up in a day or two. I got a nice coat of paint brownish on the speeder and finally a coat of white on the trooper i am happy with. The trooper needs one more i found a few scratches in plastic that didn't show ip well till i put paint on it.

Latest posts

Back