Rusty M4 half track

Thanks guys...hoping to start the painting this weekend, at least get the primer and base rust color on.

Erik, I won't be making it to the Nat's in Va. next month. Sorry bro. Lifes priorities you know.

scratchmod

Hey Rob! Thanks for the plug over to SMA! I can't wait till you start your painting. Looking forward to seeing the RUST! ;D

Hey T nice that you came over to SMA buddy. Yep I'm looking forward to the rusting myself, just have to finish off a few small details the it is ready for paint.

scratchmod

A final build pic and one with the primer on....she's getting there.

M2primer001.jpg

M2primer005.jpg

scratchmod

Rob, that is looking superb! Can't wait for the rusting to begin! I was out shopping today and saw this kit....well the original anyway. Got some great pics from my grandfather of one, just with the quad 50's on the back....may have to do one up one of these days!

Patiently waiting on your next update! ;D

Thanks T, hope to get the base rust color and clear coat on today.

Looking forward to the M16 HT of yours. ( HT with quad .50 cals)

scratchmod

I didn't get as much bench time as I had hoped. But I made up for it today.

The following pics show the steps in the painting so far.After the base rust color was applied, I then gave the model a couple of light coats of flat clear enamel to protect the rust base from the HS chipping. Once dry I then applied the HS in light layers.

The chassis will get chipped and rusted using the sponge tech and small brush. The reason for this is that there aren't many areas that can be chipped without knocking off parts. I also applied a couple of light pin washes to bring out details and aid in the rusting and weathering.

So here is where she stands at the moment.

M2painting001.jpg

M2painting004.jpg

M2painting005.jpg

M2painting006.jpg

M2painting007.jpg

Still a lot more to do.

scratchmod

Brilliant start on the paint Rob , I think this will be one of my fav's from the rust shop ;D

Chris.

The rust colour looks about right. This is really neat as it is a half track and not a tank. Haven't seen one of these junked up yet. :)

Thanks gents, glad you like the start of the rusting. I've done most of the chipping on the chassis and have started on the actual rusting....still a lot more to do.

chassischipping001.jpg

chassischipping002.jpg

chassischipping003.jpg

chassischipping004.jpg

chassischipping005.jpg

chassischipping006.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to get all the rusting of the chassis done in the next week. If you don't know by now, I build up the rust in layers to get a more realistic effect so bare with me. Hope to get the green, or what's left of it, on the body this week.

scratchmod

Stunning work Rob, this is heading to be an out and out winner in my opinion!!! ;), keep that masterpiece rolling buddy ;D

`Boots`

Well done! This is looking very realistic. It's always a good sign when it looks good up close as this does. You can tell you've done your homework.

Thanks T, Boots and noname good to hear you guys are liking the sloooow progress ;) ;D

I did some work on the front wheels but no pics yet. I tried to replicate dry rotted and cracked rubber so we'll see how that turns out once the weathering is done. Keeping my fingers crossed.

scratchmod

Latest posts

Back