Revell - D7 Battlecruiser - Romulan Stormbird

Thanks gents. I wasn't going to do anymore tonight, but something took over me and found myself doing this :

My first try at pre-shading. I'll practice this first with the command section. I've also tried to create a panel texture using some 6mm tamiya tape. Not sure how this is gonna go, but it's worth a try. If it doesn't work, I can always resort to a uniform base colour.

A few spits from the air compressor, but that should be fine once everything is coated again, I'm thinking with a light grey.

2012-05-17_22-54-13_863.jpg

2012-05-17_22-54-00_303.jpg

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome. I think I did OK, but I reckon I can improve and reduce the spitting with a lower air pressure.

Igard.... I think I may have spotted you around the Klingon ship yards. ;)
Excellent work on this!
Love it, and you KNOW I love the Klingon Battle Cruisers!!!!!! ;D

I think You did absolutely great here, Igard!
And those pseudo-panels look outstanding! When covering it all up via a layer of light gray don't go to much: these cool effects You've made are really worth visible + this is a klingon ship, it deserves some fair soot and dirt ;)

Thanks for the great comments all! Remember though Mike and Sol, this is now a Romulan ship. Not as filthy as the Klingons would have it. ;)

Sol, pseudo-panels is a great term to describe them! I'm a bit concerned about erasing them, but it didn't take that long and was quite enjoyable to do, so I can always have another go if I'm too heavy. Hopefully I'll get better with more practice too. I might add a few smaller ones just to help with scale.

Thanks Glor. I think it fits the Romulan desiign philosophy. The D'deridex warbird didn't even appear to have impulse engines.

After a light coat of grey with a hint of Tamiya light blue (which is more green). I made a couple of 'L' shaped templates in some masking tape and added some new whiter panels.

I'll do some more blending in and maybe another couple of lighter panels later.

2012-05-19_03-58-25_677.jpg

2012-05-19_03-58-41_255.jpg

Had to re-do some of the pseudo-panels at the back here. I think I got a little bit of orange-peeling. Not too bad though.

2012-05-19_03-59-10_321.jpg

Here's the bubble shape that goes on top of the command deck.

Stage 1...

2012-05-18_22-34-15_268.jpg

...and stage 2. I might add some more to this, but not much. It doesn't come through well in the photo, I had to darken the image slightly, there's more contrast in person.

2012-05-19_04-04-18_699.jpg

Just a verbal update for now before people comment on the last post, I've re-started the paint. I was happy with the panel texture, but not happy with the darkness of the final coat, and it had a slight blue-ness that was unsuitable.

I'm going to go for a very light, maybe off-white grey.

Also, I think putting down the panels along with the pre-shade was the wrong way to go. I'll put down my base coat over the pre-shade, and then start adding the panels. That should work better. I think....

I'll keep you posted, but again, I'm going round in circles on this build! :-\

Sorry for convincing this bird for a klingon ship, buddy-it is easy to got slightly confused here because of the design, but now the color of the hull will be a good reminder for me ;)
I think You're doing absolutely great with the surface painting. it already looks great! And don't worry about what You call going in circles. Consider it better as a moving forward progress. Not repainting, but modifying what's already done with more depth and using the great skills You've developed so far. The fact that all the layers of paint which a currently on would be hiden under the new ones is not a sign of reduing-that happened on my models lots of time, when I was simply running for perfection, spraying more and more shades of paint, so that the initial ones have been burried completely. That's the working progress after all ;)

Paint work looks nice and subtle. makes me want to see it in person to better appreciate the effect

Solander thanks for that comment, all good experience for me. I must admit, I don't find working to a schedule suits me at this point in time. Maybe it's my inexperience, or maybe it's just the kind of modeler that I am. I simply couldn't keep this build simple as I had planned.

Not to worry though, because things are starting to progress at last!

Quaralane, I think you'll like these pics a little more than the last ones. ;)

I've found some gorgeous graphics for the hull markings online. They were created by an artist called Thomas Marrone for a game modification for Homeworld 2 many years ago.

Thomas now works as an artist for Cryptic Studios developing the Star Trek Online video game.

He very kindly gave me permission to use his textures for my project. Awesome! And a nice bloke to chat with he is too.

I'm really pleased with how they came out. Here's a dry fit of the command section.

I'm also really happy about the colour and pseudo panel/pre shade effect.

2012-05-25_23-11-04_459.jpg

2012-05-25_23-11-40_101.jpg

Now, I need to fix some seams on the rest of the ship and then I'll get back to the painting.

Oh yes, and the 'luxury' chocolates have all been gobbled up! Yummy. ;D

Igard that looks great! I have to tell you though that mine ended up at Rura Penthe. I can't wait to see yours finished.

Oh no Glor! It would have been really cool to have our 2 D7's in Scott's final vid together. They are very similar, yet would contrast each other nicely.

Latest posts

Back