Revell - D7 Battlecruiser - Romulan Stormbird

Thanks for the awesome comments, gents. :)

The green LED was a stroke of luck. I was going to use a green/blue LED which is clear, but for some reason decided to open my LED box and found those green LEDs.

Thanks Grendels and Gag! 8)

Not a big update I'm afraid. Haven't spent much time modelling this week, and I seem to be thinking about building more than actually doing any building!!

I've had a change of plans! I'm going to replace all the grills on the ship with my own. This will allow me to safely and cleanly paint these grills with Alclad. Some of the details are a little bit soft for my liking anyway.

Cut these greebles off and scratched my own. I think I was able to get sharper detail. So, I'll fill all those grills later and replace with evergreen.

Click to enlarge :-

2012-04-28_00-49-12_232.jpg

Cut off the grills from behind the command section, and scratched my own. These were definately the softest detail on the model and this is what tipped the balance and made me want to start cutting things off and replacing them.

Made a little cloaking device with some 1/72 scale Spitfire photo etch! I think it works really well.

2012-04-28_02-33-28_101.jpg

Thanks for reading, and take care all. :)

Thanks ND, Grendels and Q.

@Q, so am I. I've got some ideas to make the paint more interesting (and time consuming). I'll hopefully find the time to practice a bit tomorrow and post the results.

Looking great so far!! Thinking your patience is paying off now!!! nice work!!! ;D

Hey thanks T! :)

Well it's a week later and still feel like I'm going round in circles. Why didn't I plan anything? Oh wait I did. I just did it very poorly.

Practising the hull primary colour and feasibility study for panel detailing.

2012-04-29_18-25-22_41.jpg

Nah, I don't think I'm gonna go with it. I didn't expect it to work or anything, but just something I wanted to try.

2012-05-05_17-53-24_913.jpg

Replacing the grills on the engineering section. This way I can simply glue them on after painting them with alclad.

2012-04-28_17-45-02_427.jpg

Now, the clear parts were very poor fitting. I broke this piece trying to bend it to conform. I'll use some clear plastic sheet instead.

2012-05-03_23-56-17_736.jpg

The clear plastic sheet is an absolute mess! I'll have to think of some way to fix....

.... or hide this.....

2012-05-05_22-26-12_905.jpg

The Romulans have decided to increase their stealth cabability by covering the impulse engines. Crafty buggers.

Here's the top one. Not too bad. Passable, but the bottom will be harder to scratch.

2012-05-05_22-26-31_199.jpg

Oh dear. I'll have to think of something else.

2012-05-06_02-09-16_919.jpg

Here are the impulse engine LEDs. 5mm orange with 3mm reds either side.

2012-05-06_00-07-11_802.jpg

Here's how they look.

2012-05-06_00-07-44_630.jpg

Hang on a minute! I'm doing this all wrong. That top clear part is supposed to be the shuttle bay doors!!!! And that's the one that looked OK!!!

Right, here are some shuttle bay doors!

2012-05-06_03-31-06_778.jpg

Here's the fit.

2012-05-06_03-39-13_829.jpg

Thanks for reading! :)

Great modification on the grills Igard. And the idea of the armor plating really isn't that far off base. I can see that being a tedious task to perform but the results would be sort of revolutionary, for a model that is.

Coming along well here.
Nice to see you clearing some of the hurdles she throwing in your way

Awesome job, my friend! You're doing really great.
For the large lower (which turned to be the only) engine grill I might recommend You to make 2 separate pieces - left and right, and them put the together. You might add a vertical line to the center of each one of them, so when put together there gonna be 3 vertical lines in the resulting grill.It'll look like as if it was initially intended to be so + You'll avoid the problem of horizontal plastic lines loosing their straightness.
Or You can go another way and make that grill out of metall (like for ex. pieces LED's contacts)

Sol has a great suggestion there. I have a far weaker one. Perhaps creating a decal to lay over the clear part? Just throwing it out there, I don't even know if that would work in this situation.

Nice work ! love the extra details you are putting all over this model !

Adds a lot !

Keep up the good work !

Norm.

Thanks for all the great comments chaps! :)

@Sol, I've got a rather simple looking grill built already (with only 2 straight lines), but I can add to it with some LED connectors and put them in vertical positions behind the plastic. I'll let you know how it works good or bad! ;D

@Glor, That might be just what I need. I'll see how the grill works out first and then if I need a decal, I'll make one for it. I may even end up using some clear orange and red paints, if that's all that is necessary. :)

Making very slow progress with this, but I'm starting to see things pick up now.

If you've seen my Vor'cha build, you'll know what this means.

And no, it doesn't mean I have exquisite taste. ;D

2012-05-06_04-42-01_941.jpg

Tough to get this alclad chrome right. My compressor has no pressure guage, so I'm guessing. This is the result of too much psi.

2012-05-09_18-11-24_187.jpg

Adding brass strips to the warp pylons. This is pretty solid now.

2012-05-16_17-19-23_52.jpg

Here's the light test. The warp lights are subtle, but this is what I was going for (Romulans don't like to draw attention to themselves). Notice also, I'm building the command section separate that's why it's missing at this time (it's getting paint!!!!).

2012-05-16_20-36-38_58.jpg

And this is how the chrome should look. I had to put my compressor to its lowest setting and hardly pulled back on the trigger.

2012-05-16_21-02-46_802.jpg

Oh yes, I think the 'good taste' factor of this build just went off the charts ;D

Ferrero Rocher: "The Ambassador's Party"

Here is my solution to the impulse engine. I tried a couple of things, vertical grills, lattice, but none of them felt 'sophisticated' enough for the Romulans.

In the end I came up with this. I took some evergreen v-groove and cut out 3 horizontal stripes along the grooves. This helped keep them nice and straight. I then painted it with alclad white aluminium and super glued a piece of clear plastic cut in the shape of the impulse engine to the back. That way it locates its position fairly centred.

2012-05-17_16-10-46_513.jpg

Latest posts

Back