Revell - D7 Battlecruiser - Romulan Stormbird

Thanks Glorfindel, Grendels, Sol and Dave.

Glorf, not a mod, the kit comes with that really nice pattern. It can be seen only in the Deep Space 9 episode, 'Trials and Tribble-ations'.

Here's a screeny :-

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hey great work this week, I'm L@@King forward to more on this build!

Keep up the great work! :D

I've never seen this kit in person before it looks so much better then what I'm working on. Oooo..I scored an Enterprise E 1/1400 scale on EBay last night for $68.00. I'm sure I ticked someone off here or at SSM.

@errains, thanks Eric! 8)

@ Glorfindel, This kit was only released a few months ago. Compare that with yours which must be around 1979/80? I'll definately build one of those one day. Nice score with that Enerprise E. :)

@ CPO, Thanks buddy. She's in the hands of the Romulans now though. No filthy Klingons allowed. ;D

A lot of work, smoothing out those panels, but I agree that it fits the Romulan aspect better that way

In true smsno fashion, I'm going for 2, 3mm LEDs pointing inwards to light the warp nacelles. ;D

Sprayed with gloss black paint for light blocking and I've added some aluminium tape around the holes to help spread the light.

2012-04-11_04-44-40_230.jpg

I started using CA glue to attach the clear parts. You can see where it was running too much and almost fogged the entire thing! (man I wish I knew how to glue things together, it would come in so handy in this hobby! ::)) I stopped using it and switched to epoxy resin. Also used epoxy resing to glue on the LEDs.

2012-04-11_22-47-41_780.jpg

Using blue/green LEDs. Not going for anything dazzling here. I figure the Romulans wouldn't like having their engines too bright. The on screen model looks like it has very subtle glow coming from the engines.

2012-04-11_22-50-49_366.jpg

Igard do the inside nacelles come cast in clear? From your pics it's almost as if it was engineered for being lit. I'm digging the great job they did in designing this model. Why do I see R2 making a 1/350 D7 and K'Tinga in the future?

Glorfindel said:
Igard do the inside nacelles come cast in clear? From your pics it's almost as if it was engineered for being lit. I'm digging the great job they did in designing this model. Why do I see R2 making a 1/350 D7 and K'Tinga in the future?

Yes, lots of clear parts, windows, nacelles, impulse, all cast clear. The model is very well designed in this regard. I can paint most of it without having to put in the small window clear parts. This should save alot of time on masking!

There are only a few windows that aren't cast, nor are they pre-drilled in the plastic because the curvature would make it impossible to mould. :)

That is so good to know and am glad your working this. Nice to see a well engineered kit. I'll be picking this one up in the near future for sure.
And Igard thanks for the info.

It's been slow progress, partly couldn't get near it and partly because I was messing around with Alclads!

Now for some progress..

Put some Aclad chrome inside the torpedo tube.

Click to enlarge :-

2012-04-18_18-37-22_493.jpg

I'm using a green LED. It's coloured so even when switched off, it reflects green on the inside of the tube.

2012-04-21_01-24-41_829.jpg

Switch it on...

2012-04-21_01-18-01_126.jpg

I'm trying not to use too many LEDs inside the command section, so I'll be using white gloss paint, foil tape and.....

...mirrors!

Yeah, I know.. I'm trying to make it exciting! ;D

2012-04-20_22-37-03_715.jpg

Here are the insides of the bulbs and neck. Since taking this photo, I've added more foil tape.

2012-04-21_02-26-32_837.jpg

The bridge section has been painted with Alclad white aluminium. It has a small mirror inside to reflect light from the command section out the windows. No masking necessary on these windows, just placed them inside after painting.

2012-04-21_04-19-49_690.jpg

Wow, such a great work, Igard, and so clean one!
The torpedo tube is amazing, absolutely brilliant, and even being unlit as SSS says!

Latest posts

Back