Panit start to finish

Psylow

I am about to start on my first model(star trek) and want to make sure I understand a few things.

Wash the outside to remove flux(?) or any other gunk.

To avoid light leak I should spray the inside of the model. Either black, silver whatever. Does it matter what color?

I should prep the outside with a white wash(does color matter?) or primer to accomplish what?

Where does future come into play and do I need to use it? I understand it can remove minor scratched and make clear pieces look thinner but is it necessary to spray the whole model? And to you add more then one coat? Do you dilute it with water? Do you add it to paint?

I already have an air compressor does the type of airbrush matter?

In a non-pint related question, what does "jointing" accomplish and when does it need to be done?

Nail polish remover (acetone) should be mixed with paint to do what purpose? Just thin it? And why would I need to thin it.

Thanks for stick with me. :eek:

You wash the parts to get rid of any factory mold release residue that may interfere with your paint job.

I dont know a great deal about lighting, but I have mostly seen people use flat black to light block, which makes the most sense to me.

Primer is necessary for a few reasons. Once you are done with construction it allows you to see any flaws and seam lines that remain on the model, and it gives the paint a better surfaces to adhere to. I will generally primer, fix mistakes, re-primer, fix mistakes, etc,..etc,...until there are no visible issues.

Future is glossy acrylic varnish. It all depends on what type of finish you want the model to have. Future will give you a nice shiny glossy finish. Some people will apply it to the whole model before doing decals and weathering because it leaves a slick surface to work on and then either re-seal everything with future or a matte varnish. You dont have to dilute it, you can airbrush or hand brush right out of the bottle. Its not typically added to paint.

If you're serious about the hobby then go ahead and get yourself a nice dual action airbrush, everyone has a preference as to which airbrushes are the best, I recommend Badger airbrushes. As long as you have the correct fittings the type of airbrush doesn't matter, they will hook up to any air compressor.

Not sure what you mean by "jointing" Are you asking about joining two parts together??

I have never used acetone as a paint thinner. Not sure if too many people do or not. For the best results, use the brand specific thinner. For example, I airbrush with Tamiya Acrylic paints most of the time so I use Tamiya Acrylic paint thinner. If you cant find your paint brand's thinner, then generally most acrylic paints can be thinned with Isopropyl alcohol or water. Lacquer and enamel based paints can be thinned with regular generic lacquer thinner you get at the hardware store.

Hope this helps :)

For light block there are a few different ways to accomplish this. One a flat black paint is good for this, and you can spray it on either the inside or the outside. I have done both and I will tell you that the inside is the easiest.

After you spray the inside black, you can then spray it a different color on the inside. Most use white because it is very reflective of light.

If you don't want to use paint, you can use aluminum foil tape. Since it is metal, it will block light very well. But you will spend quite a bit of time getting it on there correctly.

for your air compressor, just make sure if it isnt designed for a air brush to get a regulater to keep the psi down. The kind of airbrush really depends on how much you want to spend. Mine is the neo by iwata, a 40 dollar cheapie. after about a year i already want something better, so when i buy it i'll be going for the badger krome

Latest posts

Back