New to air brushing...what paints to buy?

RocketFoot

So, as the title states, I am new to air brushing and ready to start buying some paints for plastic models. I just picked up an Avanti Air Brush kit from Harbor Freight. It has the gravity fed, dual action trigger spray gun. I've been looking at different paints but I can't decide what is a good line to go with...I want a good, long lasting paint with easy clean up and the less harsh chemical smell the better! I've been looking at Tamiya and Testors but they can get pretty expensive so I am wondering about some other brands that are more affordable like Vallejo? I also like that Vallejo has a bunch of different sets that you can buy that include multiple colors. What about some of the Amazon offerings like XDOVET, US Art Supply, ARTME and Shuttle Art? I think I might like the air brush ready paints to cut down on mixing and messing around time!

Anyway, I am just looking for some thoughts and opinions on the "Best, Economical" paints out there! Thanks!

Tamiya's paints are formulated for airbrushing. I use their acrylic line, the X/XF paints. I find them no more expensive than other brands. I thin them with Tamiya's proprietary acrylic thinner.
I also use other paints, such as the now-defunct Model Master line of enamels. Those I thin with generic mineral spirits. And some lacquers, which I thin with generic lacquer thinner (though right now, I'm working through a can of Rustoleum's lacquer thinner).
As far as Vallejo goes, I do not use their Model Air paints-the line they created specifically for air-brushing-because I already have plenty of other paints, but also, because from reading comments across various forums, it sounds you get the best results just with Vallejo's additional products-their thinner, retarder, etc. Too much fuss, and as far as price goes, that's more to spend beyond just the bottle of paint. And as far as those sets go, yes, that they put a selection of colors together for any given subject, taking the guesswork out of it. But, you can also just buy the individual bottles, especially as you gain experience, instead of buying a set whose contents include colors that you may or may not use all the time.
I do use Vallejo's Model Color line of water-soluable acrylics, but for hand-brushing. But that's just one of several brands of paint I have in the paintbox.
If you really want to spend less on paints, you can buy the craft-store brands of water-based acrylics: Apple Barrel, Americana, Folk Art. I've airbrushed those and they work reasonably well, too. For airbrushing, they can be thinned with water or isopropyl.

I would keep away from Vallejo. My thoughts Vallejo for hand painting. But airbrushing no.

Best advice.

First you are going to find out how to airbrush. So get some paint suggestion Tamiya XF. only as it is my favorite. :p

Get an empty large water bottle. Use that to practice airbrushing. Best with thinners same manufacturer as paint. Spend lots of time. Thinning paint. Close up distant airbrushing distance. Well worth it all.

When you have some feel for airbrushing. Get a pot of paint from say 4 manufactures. Have a go with each. Most paints are relatively the same. Tamiay I get for £1:70 local supplier.

Another. Keep your airbrush moving left to right. Or up & down. If you do not you will get wet patches running.

Laurie

You do know Vallejo Model Air is for airbrushing, right? Vallejo Model Color line is strictly for handbrushing.

Any hobby paint brand can be used for airbrushing aside from Tamiya:
AK Interactive
Gunze / Mr. Color
Testors ModelMaster (discontinued but if you get lucky to find any, grab them - acrylic and enamels)
Testors enamels in small square bottles
Humbrol
LifeColor
Mission Models

Good advise everyone! I have heard nothing but good about Tamiya so why rock the boat, LOL! I think my cost issue is just because I am starting out with nothing! I don't even have gloss and flat black yet! So I think I will start with the primary colors and work my way into camo and military colors as I need them. My first build is an AMT 71 Mustang Mach 1 that I am going to build exactly like the actual yellow Mach 1 that I own! That will be my practice build...once satisfied, I will start on a Revell 2023 New Tooling 71 Mach 1 that I just picked up! After that, I plan to build some fighter jets and such! So I guess I'll just buy a little paints here and there and eventually I'll have a stocked paint box to draw from!

373720833_10223573918041481_7682000404712385267_n.jpg

I
Good advise everyone! I have heard nothing but good about Tamiya so why rock the boat, LOL! I think my cost issue is just because I am starting out with nothing! I don't even have gloss and flat black yet! So I think I will start with the primary colors and work my way into camo and military colors as I need them. My first build is an AMT 71 Mustang Mach 1 that I am going to build exactly like the actual yellow Mach 1 that I own! That will be my practice build...once satisfied, I will start on a Revell 2023 New Tooling 71 Mach 1 that I just picked up! After that, I plan to build some fighter jets and such! So I guess I'll just buy a little paints here and there and eventually I'll have a stocked paint box to draw from!

View attachment 105520
i treid a few paints & then went to Tamiya.

Bought a full set of XF at a good price. They also produce sets for relevant aircraft cars etc.

I

i treid a few paints & then went to Tamiya.

Bought a full set of XF at a good price. They also produce sets for relevant aircraft cars etc.
I'll have to some searching...I didn't really see any sets from Tamiya but I have been overwhelmed with the all of the options available, LOL! Once I have my direction figured out, it will be easier to focus on what I want/need!

I'll have to some searching...I didn't really see any sets from Tamiya but I have been overwhelmed with the all of the options available, LOL! Once I have my direction figured out, it will be easier to focus on what I want/need!
Just put in Tamiya the company products. there are 27 pages of paints & accessories.

I'm a Tamiya Acrylic user too. Some people don't like them because you have to mix some paints to get the color you want but it doesn't bother me, in fact I enjoy it. They spray well and clean up easy.

I'm a Tamiya Acrylic user too. Some people don't like them because you have to mix some paints to get the color you want but it doesn't bother me, in fact I enjoy it. They spray well and clean up easy.
Easy clean up is what I like! I have limited time to work on hobbies as it is, I don't want to spend a lot of time cleaning paint messes!

I personally find Tamiya paints the best all around, at least for Acrylic

No matter which paint line you use, I would recommend sticking with what ever the paint brand thinner is.
i.e. for Tamiya I use their thinner. Vallejo, I use their thinner. Not all acrylics use the same type of thinner either. Some are water based, others alcohol based

for example, I believe if you try thinning Vallejo with alcohol type thinner, it will actually clump up and go all gooey, where as with Tamiya, it works ok

I know people try their own home brew and it may work, but I prefer things specifically formulated for that line as their are often other ingredients specific to flow retarder etc... that really work best for that paint type

That being said, the only downside I find with Tamiya is if you do certain military modeling, Tamiya often does not have many straight from the bottle colors for many common FS colors (at least for USAF and US Navy aircraft/ships), and they also do not list the FS colors on the bottles even when they might have a match

I could be wrong, but most of their paints are geared towards Japanese military colors?

Sometimes you can find some mixes online, or in the paint guides for the kits, but often your on your own mixing colors

For example a Light Gull Grey, or even Light Ghost Grey and Dark Ghost grey color common to most base coats has to be mixed if using Tamiya

a possible custom mix for FS 36375 (Light Ghost grey) used in most modern low vis schemes for F-18s that matches Model Master's color very closely.
XF19 4 parts
XF66 1 part
XF2 5 parts
I think that 36320 (Dark Ghost Grey) might require a touch more XF66 or a small addition of black.

This is where other paint lines come in handy, and my next go to is Vallejo Model Air for common FS colors, and their paints will be labelled with the FS Color in addition to the Vallejo color number

Therefore I can get the common FS colors I need for aircraft like the Light Gull Grey, Light Ghost Grey etc... simply matching the FS number

However some people find Vallejo hard to use. I personally never really had any issues with their paints, but others complain of tip drying or clogging.

Also note that just because it says the Model Air can be used straight from the bottle in the airbrush, certain colors benefit from adding a bit more of the Vallejo airbrush thinner

i.e. When I am not painting military aircraft, like with Star Wars stuff for example, I always go with Tamiya as I have to mix anyway and prefer Tamiya but when I need a specific FS color, unless there is a direct Tamiya equivalent I have found, I will go with Vallejo Model Air

ps I would try Model Master line, but I think that is a dead/discontinued brand and is getting harder to find these days

Last edited:

View attachment 105520

View attachment 105520
When I started I just bought the colours I needed for the build I was doing. Did the same for every build since so now have a good selection and because it was only a few at a time it kept the cost down.

I now find Tamiya best for spraying and vallejo for hand brushing. Pantherman

Attachments

• 20230601_060152.jpg
    20230601_060152.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 2
When I started I just bought the colours I needed for the build I was doing. Did the same for every build since so now have a good selection and because it was only a few at a time it kept the cost down.

I now find Tamiya best for spraying and vallejo for hand brushing. Pantherman
That seems like the best plan for sure! Nice set up! That's another thing I need to get is an indoor spray tent...my basement is finished and I'm sure my wife doesn't want any over spray on the walls and carpet, LOL!

That seems like the best plan for sure! Nice set up! That's another thing I need to get is an indoor spray tent...my basement is finished and I'm sure my wife doesn't want any over spray on the walls and carpet, LOL!
Made my own from broken storage box, computer fan and an old turntable. Pantherman

Attachments

• 20220424_203944.jpg
    20220424_203944.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220428_183011.jpg
    20220428_183011.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220508_155947.jpg
    20220508_155947.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220523_192201.jpg
    20220523_192201.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220526_191434.jpg
    20220526_191434.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 1
Here's another note I should mention. If you are going to use Tamiya paints make your first few builds Tamiya models because their instructions will list what colors to use or mix to get the proper color. Their cheaper ones are good ones to start with to find your groove.

Latest posts

Back