Best way to move forward?

hoakin1981

A warm hi to all. Working on another sub. which has a two color hull (upper dark grey/lower red).

I just finished the upper section and I am wondering what is the best way to move forward. With that, i mean what is the best way to safeguard the already painted section considering that it was not so easy to achieve (for me at least).

I was thinking to spray-paint (in a couple of days) a coat of Satin varnish on top of the upper section (as you see it now, with the masking tape in place) to seal it, and a couple of days after that switch the masking tape on the top part to paint the lower section. This way when i remove the masking tape when done i assume the upper painted part will have remained problem-free.

Any problem with this plan? Any potential pitfalls i do not know about?

In my mind, one question is whether spaying the varnish (partially) over the masking tape might create an issue when removing it.

Is perhaps putting on the Satin varnish coat after first removing the shown masking tape (eyeballing to try and keep it on the upper section only) a better option?

Thanks in advance.

Untitled.jpg

You'd be better off removing the tape and then overtopping that with the varnish .
Let that cure fully and then mask off the upper portion .
The one thing you want to avoid is a heavy depth of resin ( paint ) at that waterline . Varnishing over the top color and across that border between the colors will prevent that .
With the tape out of the way you will be able to easily ascertain the surface continuity , i.e. no ridge .

Light coats on the lower portion to avoid bleed over and again building too much paint thickness .

Latest posts

Back