New to air brushing...what paints to buy?

I have put every type of paint you can imagine through an airbrush.
House paint, enamels, automotive lacquers and urethanes, poster paint, inks, acrylics and canvas oils...
Not always with great success, but it can be done!

Any paint can be used in an airbrush as long as it's properly thinned.
Thinning can be a personal experience, but generally starts with the manufacturers suggested thinning ratios.
Its also important to use the right "thinner" for the paint.

Many paints have been designed premixed with airbrushing specifically in mind.
*they are pre-thinned to a certain level and often have flow enhancers added.
But I find they still usually need more thinning to flow smoothly.
These flow enhancers can react with the wrong thinner.

Thinning can vary by the type of paint, and the conditions under which you are spraying.
Factors such as humidity play a big part in how paint flows and how it adheres and dries on the surface.

The type of paint, and its thinning ratio, is mostly governed by the needle and tip size of your airbrush.
Most paints will require a specific tip size to flow properly.
This is very important to understand.
As a tip gets smaller, for finer detail, the medium must get thinner.

Ready made "airbrush" paints will be specific about the tip size range they require (to spray properly).

I'm still shopping around and trying different options but so far, I really like the Tamiya paints and thinner for airbrush. I did get some Vallejo acrylic but it seems a little hard to get the mix right but I do like how it goes on with a brush! That may be my combo right there...Tamiya for air and Vallejo for brush. I've been buying a few bottles every payday so hopefully I can get ready to start building here soon!

Tamiya paints are probably the most fool proof. You almost can't screw them up.

If you want to avoid smells and you want easy cleanup, buy Tamiya acrylic paints. These are the X and XF series jars.

When you thin them for airbrush use you can start with 1 part paint to 1 part thinner. That usually works. But if you are finding that it takes extra coats for full coverage, then you can do a 3 parts paint to 2 parts thinner mix. Really Tamiya paints are hard to screw up.

I have thinned X and XF paints with water. I don't care what anyone else says, you can thin them with water. It works. However thinning with water can slow down drying time.

The best thinner to use on X and XF paints in my experience is Mr Leveling Thinner. With Mr Leveling Thinner you thin 3 parts paint to 1 part thinner. And the paint cures fast and lays down nice and smooth.

Tamiya Acrylic Thinner is also a great option.

I have even accidentally shot Tamiya XF paint through my airbrush with no thinner and it still worked. It is that easy to use.

I'm still shopping around and trying different options but so far, I really like the Tamiya paints and thinner for airbrush. I did get some Vallejo acrylic but it seems a little hard to get the mix right but I do like how it goes on with a brush! That may be my combo right there...Tamiya for air and Vallejo for brush. I've been buying a few bottles every payday so hopefully I can get ready to start building here soon!
That's my exact position on paints. I find hand brushing with vallejo very satisfying especially if you thin them at least 50/50 with water, even gone 75 water and 25 paint. Lot's of thin layers that build up the finish. It also runs into the details easier and still let's the detail show rather than covering it in a few thick layers. My 2 cents worth. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back