Omega 7 Helicarrier

Quaralane

All right, figure I've got just enough time left in the Big Spring Contest to try for one more, relatively ambitious build.

What I'm going to try and do is take THIS:
The 1983 vintage 1/542 USS Saratoga from Revell
Helicarrier-SMA-01.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-02.jpg

And turn it into a 1/700 scale model of Omega 7's version of THIS:
The SHIELD Helicarrier from The Avengers.
Helicarrier-SMA-00.jpg

Now, first and foremost, I am NOT trying to duplicate the Helicarrier shown here. I'll leave that for others.
What I AM trying to do is make a version that works with what i have in mind for my fictional "Omega 7"

Started by working on a little stock assembly work, while fighting flash and ill-fitting parts much of the way.
( The instructions aren't all that great, either )
Helicarrier-SMA-03.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-04.jpg

Finished up much of the kit's exterior detailing for the bottom hull, then started the first mod work.
I drilled out the mounts for the ship props to allow for my jet thrusters
Helicarrier-SMA-05.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-06.jpg

Then, using cut down syringes with the needles removed and the caps opened up, I glued my new thrusters into place.
This seam work will get fixed with Aves Apoxie Sculpt in a bit
Helicarrier-SMA-07.jpg

Youtube link:
Omega 7 Helicarrier-SMA 2013-Part One

Thanks, guys.
Me, I'm just hoping I haven't bitten off too much to get done in the time left

YEAH!!!!!! Q!!!!!!! I think your the first one ever anywhere out of the gate to tackle this beast. I'm psyched for me and you.
Right on brother!

You definitely wouldn't want to stray too close to those rotors, could be a big mess to clean up! Actually they'd never find your remains, and Nick Fury would have to answer to many OSHA safety violations on this ship.

But, what a cool model to tackle, Quaralane!

Thanks, John.
Well, Cave, my version doesn't have to worry too much about Col. Fury.
Mine's more "inspired by" than "based on" the Avengers version.
Layout will become a lot more clear with the next update

Now this is incredibly interesting, Q!
I'm digging how You're going to apply the wheels - great creativity!

Time for a quick update on the Helicarrier build.

I cut some pieces of balsa to act as the "mounts" for my hoverfans. Then, using an exacto and my dremel's sanding wheel, I cut out the openings in the mounts for the "fans."
Helicarrier-SMA-08.jpg

With the fans in their mounts, I did a quick layout to give me an idea of where I wanted to place the fans.
I've since flipped the rear two so the bevels face the other way
Helicarrier-SMA-09.jpg

In looking at the wheels, I decided they needed some added detailing in order to look like the fans I needed.
So, I cut some circles out of card stock I had handy (actually, a menu from a local eatery)
Then I cut a hole in the center. With those cut, I went in and cut the blades for the fans.
With the blades cut, I twisted them to give a better impression of them being fans
Helicarrier-SMA-10.jpg

Picked up some accessories for the build to better help me sell the 1/700 scale aspect of the thing from Squadron's online store
Helicarrier-SMA-11.jpg

From Eduard, I picked up 1/700 hatches and windows
Helicarrier-SMA-12.jpg

From White Ensign, I have 1/700 ladders and walkways
Helicarrier-SMA-13.jpg

Then, we have planes and helicopters at 1/700 scale.
These are from Trumpeter and ALL of them feature engraved panel lines and decals.
We've got F-14s, F-18s, Seahawk helis, and SU-33s to add some variety
Helicarrier-SMA-14.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-15.jpg

Went for a custom control island on this one, using balsa for the rough structure
Helicarrier-SMA-16.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-17.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-18.jpg
I've since added another layer to the bottom of this assembly which will be seen in the next update

Youtube link:
Omega 7 Helicarrier-SMA 2013-Part Two

Latest posts

Back