Omega 7 Columbia Helicarrier MkIV

Wow, that's a nice big update Q. Looking cool. This is a nice scale you went with.

Thanks muchly, guys.

And, John? The Bondo actually worked better for me than Squadron. Definitely cures faster than Aves, which is the biggest reason I went with it

Definitely right on that, Scott.
And she's being built at 1/700 scale. I wanted her big, and wanted to be able to find planes for her

Thanks, Chaos

Time for a quick update on this:

Using 1mm styrene, I cut and placed the detail strips for the hoverfan mounts
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-32.jpg
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-33.jpg

Once I'd trimmed those and cleared the openings again, I installed the fan mounts themselves
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-34.jpg

Again with 1mm sheet styrene, I built up the "CIC" section for the lower hull.
(Think of this as being like Fury's "command center" from the Avengers version)
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-37.jpg

Using balsa to set the spacing, I attached the main engines to the back of the lower hull
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-36.jpg
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-35.jpg

While I figure out how I want to fill the main engine section, I used Bondo on the seams for the CIC section
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-38.jpg

Using five thicknesses of balsa, I created the core for what will become the island on the flight deck
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-39.jpg

I then skinned that with 1mm styrene sheet.
The seams on this will be filled and sanded before I go in and add the first of the details
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-40.jpg

Youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uacGV29f6Tc

I love seeing something come from nothing.
This is coming along nicely Patrick.
I'm following.

Jim

Thank you, Scrach.

Thank you, too, Jim.
Definitely interesting to see it evolve from the scrap pile on my bench into this

Thanks, John.
Just have a couple of things to figure out, and then it's on for the final push

Very inspiring scratch-build. One day, I've got to try my hand at something that takes up the entire bench.

It's definitely a different way to go at things, Unreality.
Sometimes, though, it's the only way to get what you want.

Time for a LONG overdue update on my progress with the Helicarrier build.

The flow here in the written version will be a LOT better than the "all over the place" from the video

Picking up with the deck island, I marked out the levels and locations for the viewing levels in pencil, and then glued a piece of Evergreen "L" channel into place to hold the top plates in place.
These were then angle cut to accomodate the filler pieces
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-41.jpg
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-42.jpg

Using 1mm styrene, I cut the filler pieces to fill the angle I was looking for
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-43.jpg
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-44.jpg

With those cut and sanded to the proper shapes, I filled the seams with Squadron green putty and sanded the assembly
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-45.jpg

Using strips of electrical tape cut to the proper width, I placed the viewing area windows.
WIth those in place, I used a sharp blade to cut the window frames into the strips.
I also cut smaller pieces of tape to stand in for the man hatches at the base
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-46.jpg

I cut the circular disks for the hover fans. Then, based on my original plan, I drilled out the centers for the eventual motor mounts.
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-47.jpg

There was a change of plan as I figured out how I wanted to work the mounts.
Starting with some strips of balsa, I created a basic form for what I was now looking to do.
The center is formed from the end of a syringe, and the details were filled in with clay.
The plan is to cut them down to the right diameter for the insides of the particular fans
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-48.jpg

With the master built, I made a silicone mold to use in casting the necessary mounts for the ship
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-49.jpg

Now, in a MAJOR retrofit from what I'd done previously, I decided that the previous build of the main engines was WAY too big for what I was going for.
So, I cut the previous engines from the back of the ship and started over.
Using the centers from the old engines, I made new mounts from 1mm styrene. The caps were epoxied to the back plates, while I used Tamiya extra thin cement to glue the other piece into place
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-50.jpg

After cutting rear plates for these new assemblies from balsa, I then skinned them with 1mm styrene
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-51.jpg

Seams were filled with Bondo
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-52.jpg

The new assembly was put together along with some balsa cut for the center supports.
I figured I'd leave them long to act as a bit of added detail to the back
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-53.jpg

This new assembly was then glued into place on the back of the ship, and the back plate was trimmed to shape
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-54.jpg
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-55.jpg

The rather large gap was then filled with balsa scrap to give it structure while saving the weight that filling with Aves would have created
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-56.jpg
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-57.jpg

This was then shaped in roughly with the drum sander in my Dremel
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-58.jpg

That was then filled with Bondo and sanded, followed by a second treatment using Squadron green putty
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-59.jpg

This was then sanded down, and the exposed wood was treated with Testors tube cement to seal the wood
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-60.jpg
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-61.jpg

Youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H87yXM7oc2Q

Latest posts

Back