Omega 7 Columbia Helicarrier MkIV

Quaralane

All right, here we go with my first entry in this year's Big Spring Contest.
I'm taking a "mulligan" on one of my builds from the 2013 contest, namely the Omega 7 Columbia Helicarrier.

This time around, I have a plan.
I started by building a 3d version of her in Google Sketchup that looks more like the SHIELD version from Avengers than a real-world carrier with fans tacked onto the sides of the deck.
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-01.jpg

Proof of start, and showing that this one is going to be a serious scratch build project.
There's no kit for this. Going to be fun
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-02.jpg

Started out by gluing two 3/16" slabs of balsa together along the edge, then cut it roughly to length.
With that done, I measured out the 1mm styrene pieces for the main flight deck.
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-03.jpg

Flight deck pieces were glued down to the balsa with Gorilla Glue. Used Gorilla Glue because of the large amount of surface that I was gluing.
Next step was to take some .5mm styrene and lay out the fan support skins.
Those were then glued down with 5 min. Epoxy.
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-04.jpg

Once the Epoxy had been given a chance to set, I went in and trimmed off the excess balsa from the main form.
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-05.jpg

Right now, she's about 21" long x 12" wide

Youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4skPMH2B3k

Build update time, folks....

Added a second layer of balsa under the hover fan housings to add depth to them.
I also lined in the locations for the actual fans and started filling the seam on the flight deck
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-06.jpg
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-08.jpg

For the hoverfan housings, I'm using som 1 3/4" OD cardboard tube for the smaller fans and some 2 1/4" OD PVC pipe for the larger ones.
These will be trimmed down a little once in place on the model
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-07.jpg

Drew in some guide lines for use in tapering the outer edges of the fan housings
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-09.jpg

With the edges tapered, I went in with a drill and rough cut the holes for the fan housings
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-10.jpg

After smoothing out the openings with a sanding drum in my Dremel, I re-worked the flight deck seam a little with some Squadron Green putty to supplement the Aves.
That done, I laid out the flight deck elevators and catapults for scribing.
These were scribed with a dental-style pick that I got from Harbor Freight.
I also laid out the location of the deck island structure as well as the guides for the runway
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-11.jpg

I cut out the skins for the lower sides of the fans and began gluing them down.
I'll trim the holes to final shape a bit later
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-12.jpg

With the skins in place, and most of the trimming donw, I cut out the initial pieces for the keel and glued them into place with Elmers white glue
BSC-2014-Helicarrier-13.jpg

Youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFksAPUMmtU

Thanks, Jim and Mike.
Fun's going to come in skinning that hull after I lay the rest of the "keel"

Latest posts

Back