Omega 7 Helicarrier

Nice touch with the photo etch parts man you got skills you should do a YouTube tour of your kits some day

All right.
Update time on the Omega 7 Helicarrier "Columbia"

Using the Eduard etch set, I placed 1/700 hatches in various locations on the ship.
Where I could, I used locations provided by the kit. In other places, I improvised
Bridge Island
Helicarrier-SMA-48.jpg

Various locations around the hull
Helicarrier-SMA-49.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-50.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-51.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-52.jpg

Got the interior of the hangar primered, as I likely won't be able to get at it very well once the deck is in place
Helicarrier-SMA-53.jpg

Using a series of steps and clamps, I glued the flight deck to the hull.
Fair warning to those using this Saratoga kit, the deck does NOT fit without help.
Helicarrier-SMA-54.jpg

Hoverfan mounts glued to the hull. I didn't mess around here, I used Gorilla Glue
Helicarrier-SMA-55.jpg

Decided to rework the aft thruster setup to give the impression of a much more substantial power plant.
Using various syringe caps, I set up a pair of quad thrusters and glued them to a balsa back plate
Helicarrier-SMA-56.jpg

Then, I glued a brace piece to the back plates.
Helicarrier-SMA-57.jpg

That done, I mounted them to the hull with Gorilla Glue. They'll be trimmed, shaped, and the sections filled later
Helicarrier-SMA-58.jpg

Using Aves, and a few other bits, I set to work finishing the gaps on the underside in my hoverfan mounts
Helicarrier-SMA-59.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-60.jpg

Youtube link:
Omega 7 Helicarrier-SMA 2013-Part Six

Thanks, guys.

yeah, after looking at pics of the movie version, mine didn't have ennough 'bang' back there

Thanks a lot, guys.

Working an a BUNCH of Aves work with the new thrusters over the last couple of nights. I'm hoping to get paint on her during the long holiday weekend here in the states

I am looking forward to see this finished.
It seems there's quite a bit of work left for only one week. ???
Good luck!
Guido

--smiles--
Well, Guido, you'd be surprise how little actually needs done. It just looks like a lot because she's all mis-matched right now.

Glad you're liking her

Deadline is fast approaching for this girl to be finished.
So, without further ado, here is the next update on the helicarrier build.

Added more detail to the bridge island with some more of the guns from the ParaGrafix Galactiuca etch set.
I used these to create the impression of the sensors you'd find on a real world carrier
Helicarrier-SMA-61.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-62.jpg

Trimmed up and filled the thruster supports, as well as scultping a 'housing' for them out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt to better integrate the thrusters into the existing hull
Helicarrier-SMA-63.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-64.jpg

On the advice of my younger brother, I added some large washers to the upper fans to detail them better.
I also decided NOT to use the screening I'd originally planned to use as it would have obscured any detail you might see.
As a bit of added detail, I added one of the etch Galactica guns to the middle of the fan motor to hide the center hole.
Helicarrier-SMA-65.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-66.jpg

Using some sheet styrene, I filled the opening between my hangar wall and the flight deck.
On both long sides of the opening, I glued strips of sanding screen to stand in for the elevator's lift mechanism
Helicarrier-SMA-67.jpg

WE HAVE PAINT!
I started with a coat of Krylon grey primer from rattlecan
Helicarrier-SMA-68.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-69.jpg

I officially christened the ship "Columbia" by gluing the nameplates from the Galactica etch to places on the stern and the bow
Helicarrier-SMA-70.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-71.jpg

I gave the lower hull an overall coat of the Vallejo light grey surface primer to match what I'd done on the bridge island, and to lighten the overall color
Helicarrier-SMA-72.jpg

On the upper hull, I only sprayed the lift fans the lighter grey as I've noticed that most carrier decks seem to be darker than the rest of the hull.
Helicarrier-SMA-73.jpg

After decanting some paint from the rattlecan into a jar, I used the airbrush to paint the thrusters in Testors Graphite Dust Lacquer.
I also opted, as a bit of color breakup to use the same color on the fans and the actual gun mounts
Helicarrier-SMA-74.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-75.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-76.jpg
Helicarrier-SMA-77.jpg

On my computer, I drew up some runway strips at the right size, then printed them along with some extra "Omega 7" markings
Helicarrier-SMA-78.jpg

Youtube link:
Omega 7 Helicarrier-SMA 2013-Part Seven

Latest posts

Back