Major surgery coming up

Roommate from hell left a few days ago, finally slept good.
Doing good now, the wound vac is helping a lot. Since the area is so big I may be on it for a few months but as long as it helps I don't mind. The biggest area covered is about the size of my hand, lots of sponge in there. The hospital is waiting on the home unit now so I should be headed home Friday after they change the dressing in the morning. When you hear "go home" in the hospital it just fills you with energy.

Most of my major pain is gone now luckily, just some minor aches like sore muscles. Probably because there isn't a lot of feeling in the area.
Good news is I'll only be on the vac a few more weeks then off to surgery. My Dr visit on the 4th was enlightening as he pushed both sides of my stomach together till there was just a small gap, not the 2 inch one I'm used to. I didn't think it would push that far. He gave me 3 options, (1) was leave the vac on and let it all heal over (months worth) (2) cover it with a skin graft, 3 remove some of the mesh in the middle and push it together and sew it up. I went for (3). While that's done a plastic surgeon will be taking care of my extra scrotal skin so I'll be back to normal soon. After living with that problem for decades I'll really have to adjust to being almost normal. Maybe after I'm back to full strength I can get a real job.

I know I haven't posted in a while but not much has been going on. I'm healing up nicely, feeling pretty good, eating too much again. I finally did hear about my next (final) surgery this week. I have wnother whole month of waiting before I go in. It's scheduled for Feb 25th at Crouse Irving in Syracuse NY. Nice place since I spent a total of 42 days there so far! This will be to close up the wound, remove the extra skin and do some plastic rebuilding of the stretched out skin. With luck I should be all healed up and ready to get back to somewhat of a normal life.

Thanks for the update. Great to hear that things are moving along well. I can't imagine the process but you do sound like you're doing alright and that's cool.

Almost time for the last round, getting a bit anxious/nervous. Will be under around 4 hours this time but I'll be rid of a few things when it's over. Not sure how long recovery will take since I'll be having some stretched out skin (from the hernia) removed and a possible skin graft. Hope there isn't much pain, kinda tired of pain and I don't want to take too many meds for it.
Scheduled for 11:15 Friday morning, less then 24 hours after the shuttle launch (hopefully) with my picture (and thousands of others) from the NASA Face in Space program.

I'll keep you in prayer man. You'll make it through. I'm sure it sucks - not trying to sugar coat it for you but we're all behind you here.

I agree with the others you are in the last rounds of it. I can't imagine going through something like that. Let us know what happens!!

Thanks everyone. Surgery took about six and a half hours but all seems well. I'll have a nice scar to show off this year. Still a bit groggy from a terrible nights sleep. More updates soon.

Glad to hear you go through it and if you're able to take the time to post here then you must be feeling half decent.

I found out some interesting trivia about my original condition today (inguinal hernia). Such extreme cases are rare and there are only about 6 papers written on it worldwide. Most of those were written in the 80's. So in a way I did the medical field a favor by letting them work on me, for all my surgeons it was a first for them. The plastic surgeon told me today that some of the work he did on me was a first for him. Without being to graphic he had to reposition a part of my male anatomy so I would be more comfortable. The intern surgeon that was there for the first part was there again and she will be collaborating with the plastic surgeon on finishing her paper. I hope to get a copy once it's done even if it's not published. Pain isn't too bad I just don't like where it's located.

Latest posts

Back