Screwed up big time

LHC

:mad::mad: Despite having been told not to put steel spheres (inox) into my paint jars, I did it anyway… so, this is the result.
Now I can’t either pull it out or clean the frigging paint. I have at least 30 bottles this way…That’s how you waste money.

Here

Attachments

• A3D41C3B-0714-411E-A06D-7C20A5FB0618.jpeg
    A3D41C3B-0714-411E-A06D-7C20A5FB0618.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 9
  • B004AD2E-2602-4BDF-8CE5-4941C1859381.jpeg
    B004AD2E-2602-4BDF-8CE5-4941C1859381.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 6D4ADD18-B03E-47FC-85AE-DED667912E7C.jpeg
    6D4ADD18-B03E-47FC-85AE-DED667912E7C.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 9
There's 100's of formulations for " stainless steel " , high chromium content austenitic steels ( will not be magnetic ) are best for that application .
You won't know if you're buying cheap somewhere .

I've always just removed the cap and stirred them but I have some I dropped some 00 lead buckshot into .
I know people like to avoid lead though .

This guy below seems to have good results with the AK ones .
He says he has about 3 years of usage with no sign of corrosion :

great tip... I've heard glass bearings also work pretty fine, but can't find it here.
I didn't go for the cheap ones, these are branded and used for air guns.. but still... (or steel?) :confused:

Stainless will rust . it can also be ferromagnetic ( martensitic stainless steels ) despite common misconceptions .
It depends on the alloying metals and their percentages .( The magnetic property is determined by the actual phase of the iron )
Specific formulations are intended for specific environments .
I'm sure AK specified to their supplier what the intended use was and the proper stainless steel was provided .

You could always do some testing in the future on candidates for the application .
Immersion in water with a Ph of around 9 will be sufficient .
Acrylic paints are usually around 8 to 8.9 max in Ph .
Give it at least a week of immersion . Higher temperature will accelerate the test .

... I've heard glass bearings also work pretty fine, but can't find it here.
If you have any arts & craft supply stores near you, like Michael's or HobbyLobby, they should have glass beads, as well as beads made from other material, and those will work as agitators in your paint bottles.
I just picked up a paint stirrer (Badger's model) and am playing around with that. I haven't tried it with an eyedropper bottle yet, but it works well with my craft-store brand paint jars, like Folk Art or Americana.
I use a toilet paper core to put over the jar, to help minimize spattering the paint accidentally.

A PS-if you visit an arts & crafts store for beads, you might have a look at beading wire in various gauges, too. That can be useful for scratchbuilding.

I had to grind down the diameter of the paddle on that Badger paint stirrer to fit into the eyedropper bottles like Vallejo uses .

You could make your own shaker balls from epoxy putty .
I don't no if they'd have enough mass for stubborn paints but you could also form the epoxy around a metal core for added mass .

If you have any arts & craft supply stores near you, like Michael's or HobbyLobby, they should have glass beads, as well as beads made from other material, and those will work as agitators in your paint bottles.
I just picked up a paint stirrer (Badger's model) and am playing around with that. I haven't tried it with an eyedropper bottle yet, but it works well with my craft-store brand paint jars, like Folk Art or Americana.
I use a toilet paper core to put over the jar, to help minimize spattering the paint accidentally.

A PS-if you visit an arts & crafts store for beads, you might have a look at beading wire in various gauges, too. That can be useful for scratchbuilding.
thank you, Baron! As I live in Brazil, I think that none of these have any branches here, but we do have nice art & craft supply stores, some are nearby, and I'll look for those glass beads. Nice idea about the beading wire, will search for it too! Have a nice weekend, sir!

You could make your own shaker balls from epoxy putty .
I don't no if they'd have enough mass for stubborn paints but you could also form the epoxy around a metal core for added mass .
I bought one of those China agitators that are intended for nail polish, it works ok with Vallejo eyedropper bottles, but nothing like a bearing.. Epoxy putty may work fine, but I'd go for the cheap ones, not Tamiya's... lol

I also have that DAS modelling clay, do you think it could melt on the paint?
I'm still trying to find some use for it..

The paint won't dissolve it but that stuff effectively has no mass so it would be useless in that application .
It might swell up if left submerged in paint -- I don't have any experience with that stuff so I don't know .
Roll up a ball and after it hardens submerge it ( will it float ?! ) and see what happens to it after some time .
I'm curious but have none on hand to experiment with .

That's shocking, feeling really sorry for you as vallejo air are not the cheapest to buy. I suppose live and learn but it's a real kick in the.........
Onwards and upwards, lesson learnt.
Pantherman

The paint won't dissolve it but that stuff effectively has no mass so it would be useless in that application .
It might swell up if left submerged in paint -- I don't have any experience with that stuff so I don't know .
Roll up a ball and after it hardens submerge it ( will it float ?! ) and see what happens to it after some time .
I'm curious but have none on hand to experiment with .
Will do it and post the result here.. it seems to be very robust and heavy after drying

That's shocking, feeling really sorry for you as vallejo air are not the cheapest to buy. I suppose live and learn but it's a real kick in the.........
Onwards and upwards, lesson learnt.
Pantherman
You got it right, my friend, with taxes and shipping, I must have spent almost US$200 on this Vallejo suitcase, and I thought it would last forever... Like you said, onwards and upwards.. making mistakes is what you learn!

Decades ago I used an air dry clay but I think it was a specifically light weight formulation so I remember it being almost massless .
Close to papier-mâché in density .... Of course it was so long ago I may be remembering it wrong ! ;)

You got it right, my friend, with taxes and shipping, I must have spent almost US$200 on this Vallejo suitcase, and I thought it would last forever... Like you said, onwards and upwards.. making mistakes is what you learn!
It's good that you posted it as we can all learn from it.
Pantherman

Latest posts

Back