Hasbro Hero Millennium Falcon Modification

Not a lot to see LrdSatyr8,

This plastic is strange stuff, its hard to ge it to a good finish.....although I'm using a scalpel, there are still frayed edges where I'm cutting.....

Hopefully paint will cover obvious cut work

IMG_1333.jpg
IMG_1336.jpg
IMG_1334.jpg
Trying to replace some of the more obvious bulky pipework:
IMG_1335.jpg

I had to remove one of the supports which was in the middle of one of the vents:
IMG_1337.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

OK
I've been doing a bit of painting also:

IMG_1340.jpg
IMG_1341.jpg
IMG_1342.jpg

I cut the lower half of the cockpit tube & attached it to the rest of it
IMG_1343.jpg
IMG_1344.jpg
IMG_1345.jpg

I've got thr Revell TIE in silicone so hopefully it will mould alright

Thanks for looking
John

I haven't started gluing yet, but after advice and experience of others I ordered JB Weld:
043425826558lg.jpg

Just a thought though,.....if you are using CA glue after the surface has been treated by Adhesion Aid & primer......do you think the issues would be sorted?

.....anyway heres the Revell TIE wing mould:
IMG_1346.jpg

I've cut away the side-wall, It looks to me, because it was designed to have a sticker applied, to be not as deep into the mandible as I'd like.
Attaching greeblies to this wall would in turn make the details too prominent, unlike the pre-greeblied section beside it.

As usual the plastic is easilly cut & removed:

IMG_1349.jpg

I've also removed some of the details on the Jawbox

Thanks again for looking
John

I wouldn't use JB Weld on this plastic (its not your typical model kit type of Styrene plastic, it's more like the softer PVC Piping plastic as evident from your cutting and all the burrs it creates making it difficult to keep a smooth line)... it could warp it while the JB Weld is curing and cause it to melt. When JB Weld cures, it generates heat. Its great for metal items, but not for plastics. I had a similar problem with Squadron Green Putty awhile back that the entire surface I had used it on melted because the putty got too hot for the softer plastic (like this is made out of). I would recommend using either Magic Sculpt or Apoxie Sculpt. It doesn't heat when its curing and you won't have to worry about doing more harm then good.

So what's up with the Tie panel? I'm missing something...

no comments... law..l. cough.

Scott Girvan said:
So what's up with the Tie panel? I'm missing something...

no comments... law..l. cough.

The TIE panels should make a good grill cover for the six engines on the falcon. I was thinking the same thing!

Hey Jai... any ideas to share on what you've got in mind to tackle the missing side detail and the lower landing gear on this puppy? I've been racking my brain to figure it out myself.

OK, did a wee bit of work today:

IMG_1379.jpg
IMG_1380.jpg
IMG_1381.jpg

The landing gears shouldn't be too bad LrdSatyr8, I'm not too worried about them,....probably make them optional as open or closed

Thanks fer lookin'
John

Hey guys, here's where I'm at:

The cast turned out dead on:
IMG_1382.jpg
IMG_1383.jpg

Getting them to fit in....& at the right depth was a pain,......I'll have to cut small rings to place over them (in white in picture) as I had to destroy the ones on the toy/kit
IMG_1384.jpg

...not glued yet,...just pushed in for photo:
IMG_1385.jpg
IMG_1386.jpg
IMG_1387.jpg

.......hmmm......dunno??

J

Hey J... didn't they use some sort of material lace for the original falcon engine grills? I think I remember seeing that somewhere... lemme see what I can find!

Na, they made a reduced sized (shrunken) mould of the Koolshade material for the smaller TIEs.....they used that cast for the 32"

J

Jaitea said:
Na, they made a reduced sized (shrunken) mould of the Koolshade material for the smaller TIEs.....they used that cast for the 32"

I knew they used something like that. I've got 2 Falcon kits in my stash and now this big boy. Wasn't sure if the same type of material would work with those engine grills or not.

Looks great bro... I was thinking you'd want those more transparent so you could see the engines inside. I'm still looking for something like that for mine

....I know, I'd prefer PE,....especially on a ship this big but I can't find anything yet.....If anything does become available I should be able to knock out the resin vents

John

Latest posts

Back