Forge World Horus Heresy series - Abaddon VS. Loken

TDA

Hi all, thought I wanted to share my latest showcase project with you all :)

The kit in question is this http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/ABADDON_AND_LOKEN.html which depicts the battle between Ezekyle Abaddon, 1st captain of the Sons of Horus and 10th captain Garviel Loken from the Horus Heresy part of the background for the Warhammer 40,000 universe, also referred to as 30K or HH (Horus Heresy)

The kit is awesome to say the least and I plan to enter it into a national painting competition in mid April.

I've dubbed my take on the kit "Pride and Hate" as that is the essence of the scene and it seems fitting.

On to the models:

Here's the first WIP picture of what I'm going with, a more stylized version of the base included.

In colour.
AvsLcolour_zpsef0e1386.jpg

And then in black and white to give a more unified feeling of what it looks like.
AvsLBnW_zps224a34a7.jpg

I started on one of the 2 models that will be the real centerpiece of this.

Ezekyle Abaddon WIP:
Head before OSL.
abaddonheadwip_zps31058c41.jpg

And after OSL.
abaddonwip2_zps0c7e5fd6.jpg
abaddonwip1_zpscaaea008.jpg

I've been working with a polished black sheen for his armour, so I tried tackling the black in a completely new way to what I would have done in the past, it's hard to see here, but I'll go into greater detail when I get a bit longer in the process and can take some pictures that really shows off the work on the black.
I also need to tidy up some of the extreme edge highlights.

The head has been treated to some under lit OSL (Object Source Lighting) to give him a bit of a looming look, but I didn't want to overdo it as I think it tends to look cartoonish if his gorget is glowing like a big light bulb. I'm really pleased with how it turned out so far.

More updates will follow soon :)

I will be following this for sure! This kit looks awesome!

A little more progress:
The base is nearly done, I've made some covers for the back of the bases edges, which hopefully blends in well when painted.
AvsLbasewip2_zpsfdc26196.jpg
AvsLbasewip1_zps08892db3.jpg
AvsLbasewip6_zpse64e0a05.jpg
AvsLbasewip5_zpsebf6dfcb.jpg
AvsLbasewip4_zpsd8686422.jpg
AvsLbasewip3_zps285193c7.jpg

Oh, as a fan of 40K since it first began i'm really looking forwards to seeing this take shape.....fantastic paint job so far mate, wish i could paint 1/10th as well as that!

Keep up the great work.

fubar said:
Oh, as a fan of 40K since it first began i'm really looking forwards to seeing this take shape.....fantastic paint job so far mate, wish i could paint 1/10th as well as that!

Keep up the great work.
Thanks for the nice comments mate :) I also painted Angron , which is also an awesome model to work with. And I'll keep an eye on your work and give you some pointers whenever I can :)

I'll just sneak Angron in here before the update;
ANGRON_zps4a86cdde.jpg

And now for a small but important update; I have found a green I like for Loken.

lokenandbasewiptopview_zps46321641.jpg
Lokenandbasewip_zps76aaefc2.jpg

I originally tried matching the colour to the artwork in Betrayal, but for some reason I ended here and decided I liked it. It turned out it looked pretty similar in colour to the FW paintjob, which was either pure luck or my sneaky subconscious at work :p
lokan2p.jpg

The recipe for my result was fairly simple actually, the old GW hawk turquoise with a little bit of VMA burnt umber in it, and a few drops of Secret weapon's green wash. Highlights are made by ading VMA sand to the base mix and then when I was happy I gave the armour a glaze of Secret weapon's green black wash.

Wow that Angron dio is freakin' sweet m8....how did you do the 'blood spray' effect? :eek:

Thanks guys :D

the blood spray is done by heating some clear styrene over a naked flame and manipulating it and then cutting it to a desired shape, glue it in place and cover it in Tamiya clear red :) Quite simple actually :D

hook1169 said:
Angron is swweeeeettt!!!!!

A small update:
Loken is progressing nicely.
IMG_4192_zpsd4411b70.jpg

And there's an internet cookie to the person who guesses what this is for :D And no, it's not a cape..
IMG_4182_zps0c9e85d6.jpg

A duvet cover? If so can i have one also.....king size plz! ;D

Looks great so far mate, do you use any sort of magnification while painting the fine details?

TTFN

fubar said:
A duvet cover? If so can i have one also.....king size plz! ;D

Looks great so far mate, do you use any sort of magnification while painting the fine details?

TTFN

Nope, it's not a duvet cover XD

And no, I don't use a magnifying glass/ lamp with magnifying glass, it's all done with my own eyes looking at the subject :D

On to the update, there's a week left til the competition, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it.

Loken's head:
1weekleft_zpse38e714a.jpg

Abaddon nearly done:
1weekleft1_zps21b4c47d.jpg
1weekleft3_zps2c9b8cef.jpg

Abaddon and Loken at their current state.
1weekleft2_zpsd3d24d4f.jpg

The base as it currently looks:
1weekleft4_zps45019f90.jpg

1weekleft5_zps748fb68a.jpg

And the mystery piece of felt was for this particular part of the plinth, to give it a bit of an exclussive feel:
1weekleft6_zps16f9b2ed.jpg

Better get back to my workbench!

Ahhh, so thats what it was for! ;D

Loving the work mate, especially that base.....so many details in it.

Truly awesome stuff.

TTFN

Thanks mate, yeah there's an enormous amount of detail on the base, and I added a lot more :p

I'm nearing completion on this piece, but still have some detail work left to do on them both, and Abaddon will be getting a small squad of justaerin to support him :p Because I've fallen in love with them ::)

Here's a little further progress:
IMG_4369_zps0ba70e7b.jpg

I am delighted to say that the piece took gold in the duel category, and of the 5 entries I placed I took 4 golds and a bronze + overall winner! So I'm pretty happy.

Pics of the finished piece:
AbaddonVSLoken3_zps2cc9ac03.jpg
AbaddonVSLoken1_zps965ddebc.jpg
AbaddonVSLoken2_zpsb500fe18.jpg
Basedetailruin_zpsa664bf90.jpg
Abaddon_zps9fd781e4.jpg
Abaddondetail_zpsa6704939.jpg

Lokencape_zpsb9ab2d75.jpg

Lokensideviews_zpsad051ad1.jpg
Lokenfront_zpsf9308278.jpg

basedetailsewer_zps2feb3481.jpg
frontback_zps63d0bf75.jpg