Entries, Questions and References

Re: Battle of Britain - Air Superiority: Nerd Herd Group Build

Mac said:
Should you ever find yourself owning a shop, do not leave your supplies about.
My TenX was left uncovered and I am now without. And the LHS has a sad story of TenX7R no longer being made. . . AGAIN.
So off I go into this venture without my favorite tools and glue. . .

That bites dude :(

It's been awhile since I gave an update also. I've managed to decal all three planes, but washing the panel lines is not going so great. Just means things will take a little longer.

Thanks for the deadline extension BTW. :)
I'm still having fun with the build, and it will get done.

DreamKnight said:
How's everyone doing with their submission? :)

The vacuform canopy I got for the kit I destroyed!

D.K. - where did you run in to problems with you canopy? I have a similar set and am looking to learn form the experience of others...

JMac said:
D.K. - where did you run in to problems with you canopy? I have a similar set and am looking to learn form the experience of others...

OK... first thing... be VERY VERY patient with it. It's almost like doing precision work because those vacuform is just like a plastic tray for cookies (like Oreos) so it's like very bendy and very thin.

Second, ALWAYS use a new blade to cut it out. Don't use a scissors. Use the new blade and to cut it out of the "mold" you have to score it.

Once you got it cut out, you're going to have to use some putty as a foundation. Like I said, very bendy. So it's safer to use putty so it gives the whole structure some bracing.

Everything else is pretty standard. Masking shouldn't be a problem if you got putty to strengthen the canopy so you can work with it easier. The thing that got me was cutting it out part.

It's been awhile. Lately I've been swamped with family stuff and work / cub / scouts wrapping up for the year. But I'll be back grinding away again soon...

How are your builds coming along?

that looks great.

OK. So I'm starting my Spitfire for this GB. I have decided that this will also be my next series of videos. I have a few questions and I need help from the best group of modelers on the planet - the NERD HERD!

When a plane crash lands, would any of the flaps/rudder be in a moved position?
Where would a Spitfire get hit in order to kill it?
Would the prop be feathered? What does feathered mean?
What are the black and white stripes that you sometime see on the wings all about? Is that a Battle of Britain thing or a D-Day thing or.....
I'm searching for reference of crashed SFires. If you have any would you post a link?
Anything else of importance when modeling a downed Spitfire, please share.

THANK YOU! I know it's not about the details but I love the details and really want to learn. You think these are alot of questions?? Wait till I take on a tank!

I am no expert! but the black and white stripes where called "invasion stripes" they were a D Day thing if I recall right. "feathering" the prop means that the prop is adjusted to that it windmills or is unhooked from power. It is a way to reduce resistance when your fighter, became a very bad glider. Downing a plane, I would imagine that terminal hits to the engine, pilot or control surfaces. It is a interesting idea Scott, maybe a scene with a Spitfire that just barely made it back to base. could be a interesting scene.

http://www.vord.net/609/spitfires.htm

I think Jeep answered most everything...

Scott Girvan said:
When a plane crash lands, would any of the flaps/rudder be in a moved position?

I think just from that crash the rudder/flaps would have been moved in any position. :)

Scott Girvan said:
Where would a Spitfire get hit in order to kill it?

Kill it as in exploding? I don't think a plane exploding into pieces was common back then. Mostly when a plane got shot up enough it the pilot looses control and starts a dive. This can happen from what Jeep says; Engine, Pilot, Controls get hit but other factors can be a shredded tail or wing or rudders and flaps from machine gun fire. Also something that's commonly seen is since the fuel tank sits between the cockpit and engine, it can get hit and rupture and catch on fire in turn causing a ton of smoke and fire getting pushed into the cockpit, choking/burning the pilot.

Not an expert mind you. I learn most of this stuff from hours on end playing "Red Baron" back in the days. LOL

Scott Girvan said:
Would the prop be feathered? What does feathered mean?

They didn't have feathering capabilities in WWI that I know of. This was produced in planes right before WWII (correct me if I'm wrong). Feathering is the ability to rotate the props parallel to the air flow to reduce rag. This is done when the engine goes out so the pilot can glide further.

But if the Spitfire had the capability in WWI and a pilot is shot down and tried to land for a save, then I would assume the pilot would feather the props.

Scott Girvan said:
What are the black and white stripes that you sometime see on the wings all about? Is that a Battle of Britain thing or a D-Day thing or.....

What Jeep said. It was for D-Day so that allied forces can identify them better and reduce friendly fire incidents.

DK

Thank you, both of you. Jeep, that photo in the cornfield is awesome! Might have to try that - 1:48 scale corn.

Kill as in shot down, yeah. Was just wondering where bullet holes would account for a kill.

Thanks for the info - great stuff. A really photo reference library here. Cool.

So the Battle of Britain was WWI???? I thought it was WWII.

Scott Girvan said:
So the Battle of Britain was WWI???? I thought it was WWII.

Dude. I just was looking through the Squadron catalog and was looking at getting some WWI planes when I ran back to the puter to see if I actually said that. LOL Ignore the WWI comment. I've been having migraines and I think it's starting to affect my thinking.

I just looked it up and the spitfire props can feather so assuming he's going down and trying to get a good landing in, he may have feathered his props.

It was 1940 so that's very early WWII right? I know pretty much zilch about this stuff - but I love to learn about it.

So non feathered, the props are flat on to the wind - the pitch of the blade caused to turn by the engine and wind. Feathered they rotate 90 degrees. Cool.

Yeh, BoB happened the second year into WWII.

Here's a photo of props in the feather position:

220px-Prop_feather.jpg

Scott Girvan said:
So non feathered, the props are flat on to the wind - the pitch of the blade caused to turn by the engine and wind. Feathered they rotate 90 degrees. Cool.

Scott, take a close look at the Jeeps' 4:39 pictures, in both cases the planes prop doesn't appear to be feathered for gliding at the time they met the ground.

Here is a scan of a German He 111 bomber (1940) from a book I have here at home. See how flat the blades are relative to the axis of the engine.

As a totally unrelated side question; how do you guys insert images into a post without using the attachment tool?

[attachment deleted by admin]

True. Good point. I know from Googling it myself, that the first one is a recreation. Very cool. I have seem pics where the props are really bent badly.

Like this:
foyles_war_06.jpg

This photo is very inspiring for me. Take this and throw it in, or at the edge, of a cornfield. Pilot stumbling out from the wreckage and I think I got a plan.

Code:
[IMG]http://www.wherever.com/yourimage.jpg[/IMG]

Latest posts

Back