Entries, Questions and References

DreamKnight

Well, I was told to start one I guess but since this is my first ever group build that I'd ever attending, please let me know if I'm off on anything. I went around looking at how other sites do it and stuff so I figure this would be a fun one to do and get some activity going for Nerd Herd while we all eagerly wait for Scott to get back and start the Tiger group build.

Theme: Battle of Britain - Air Superiority
Scale: 1/48
Date: Jan. 9th to the August 29th (Extended another 3 weeks)
Prize: Entry Raffle (Not sure what the prize is that Scott is throwing in yet though)

Rules
Pick a side. Either the RAF or the Luftwaffe. Then pick a plane. It has to be a plane used in this battle.

Entry Post
Reply to this topic of what you will be doing for this group build. You can accompany the reply with a photo of the box of the model.

Work in Progress
Start a new topic in this forum for your "Work in Progess" thread so you can post updates to your build and others can make comments.

Reveal Post
When you have completed your build, post a new Topic in the "The goal is completion, not perfection" using [BoB GB] to begin your topic and follow it with a description of your build (e.g. "[BoB GB] Supermarine Spitfire 1/48")

Some quick references to get you started:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain

Aircrafts used in the Battle of Britain:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_of_the_Battle_of_Britain

Re: Battle of Britain - Air Superiority: Nerd Herd Group Build

Hey Chung, Mate the rules are fine by me except one the build time you might want to make it a bit longer than two weeks !!! Im' going Luftwaffe : Ju 87 Stuka old monogram kit with a bit of aftermarket gear! Paul....

Hey Speedster,

How long then would be good? :)

I'm in, I just need to decide on a plane. I agree the time frame is pretty tight. Maybe a month? I've seen other groups do 30 day builds.

Thanks for the links also. Those will help.

OK. Jan. 9th to Feb. 7th then :)

Thats fine by me Chung, Now to see how many more we can get on board!!! .O yer Bud this is the kit im doing ,One other thing are we building to the Movie or history !!!. Paul...

DSC04843.jpg

What's the difference between movie and history? :) I suppose it doesn't matter I guess.

Well I looked in my stock pile and I found a kit. I'm in with the Bf 109. It's a G, not an earlier model, but it will have to do.

Ok kool. :) I'm still trying to find a plane to do. I wanna put in a RAF one but it's hard to find 1/48 scale stuff. I thought 1/48 was a popular scale?

I like the idea, too, and I have some subjects lined up for this year that would fit, but I'm with the others, the timeframe is really tight.

Over at AgapeModels, we usually set them to be a year, which may be the other end of the spectrum. But the idea in setting a long deadline is that the participants don't feel pressured to meet the deadline, especially for guys with families or other duties. You might want to make it at least a month; that's a deadline of sorts that I use, to try and finish things for the next club meeting.

Regards,
Brad

Yeh, I was looking at some other places for group builds and I notice that have them going to 3 to 12 months. I was like wowzers. I just used to sitting down with a model or two or sometimes three and going through them pretty quick but I got one of them things where if I'm tunnel focused on something, nothing can pull me away from it so things get done pretty quick.

Let's pull this up to four months (or until the participants turn them all in as completed). This way maybe get some late bloomers in here. :)

DreamKnight said:
What's the difference between movie and history? :) I suppose it doesn't matter I guess.

Not to be a rivet Nazi, but if I'm not mistaken, the 109s and Heinkels used were post-war Spanish-built aircraft (of necessity), with different engines. I can't remember if the outward changes were so noticeable on the He-111, but the 109 has a very different profile with its Spanish license-built Merlin engine. Of course, someone could choose to build that specific aircraft and paint it as it appeared in the movie. I've seen guys take the Monogram Texan kit and bash it into Zeros and Vals, just as the 1:1 versions used to make the aircraft used in "Tora! Tora! Tora!"

Also, the Ju-87s were scale models, if I remember correctly, with very good special effects photography.

I'll go for my 1/48 f-111 Ardvark with upgrades ;)

bttfspencer said:
I'll go for my 1/48 f-111 Ardvark with upgrades ;)

They used f-111 Ardvark's during the battle of britain? LOL

Hey Chung, Mate its already the 9th down here bud so can i start or do i have to wait for you guys LOL!!!! Paul...

If the date is here... GO! :) SO for it's just 2 or 3 so go for it. :) I still have to go get my model. I'm not sure if

speedster said:
Hey Chung, Mate its already the 9th down here bud so can i start or do i have to wait for you guys LOL!!!! Paul...

Haha! I just realized you're down under! I was wondering why you were saying it was the 9th already.

Sorry Chung, Us Aussie's have a funny sense of humor , Il post my start in the morning Bud. Paul...

speedster said:
Sorry Chung, Us Aussie's have a funny sense of humor , Il post my start in the morning Bud. Paul...

Yep, we sure do have a wild sense of humor.

Latest posts

Back