Dueling PZ IV L70 (A)

Gee and Jose, thank you very much!! Making some progress...trying to get there!! ;D

LOL..Thanks a bunch Adam! Plugging away today!! Wife left a little while ago to shop...only need to run out later to pick up my new phone and this can progress!! ;)

Everything on the Base looks so "wet", what did you do to make that appear so real and fresh? Superbly done! Very impressed, and jealous! :eek:

Hey Hook! Thanks a bunch!! Appreciate it! As for the mud.......Third time today I was actually asked so I will post my first response as it covers the base process and I can just copy-n-paste...LOL!Taking the standard base plinth the bulk of the definition for the mount will be achieved through the use of XPS (extruded polystyrene) of in other words that funky pink and/or blue foam used in construction for insulating foundation and commercial roofing.

057_zps8bfdc2c8.jpg

As you can see to the left of the base piece there is 3 small pieces of the foam. These were literally hacked out of a small piece leftover from the corner. These will end up being the granite street markers. I used the term "hacking" because I did not take much care in making a nice smooth cut on all sides. This will help with the look when don.

Ready for the Mud?....

Plaster (powdered version of USG drywall compound

058_zps3f8d388c.jpg

Sand for texture

060_zps5e89a451.jpg

Pigment for base color

061_zps49b922a2.jpg

Switching to the other corner for a moment...standard PVA Glue...very technically spread....with my finger!! :D

063_zpsb9f4199f.jpg

Application of sand for texture....you must be getting tired by now?

065_zps83101d66.jpg

Again using the most expensive tool I own, my finger, I spread the sand out somewhat smoothly but leaving this irregular.

067_zps5e401d11.jpg

Time to apply the "mud"!! I have a healthy supply of Popsicle sticks and tongue depressors on hand just for this purpose.

069_zps9ad8d5b4.jpg

071_zpsc7cf95d2.jpg

At this time I applied about 1/2 of the foliage and saplings, leaves and what have you!

074_zps2b1ade14.jpg

The next parts actually move a little too fast. Using different combinations of AK's Dark Mud Wash and Damp Earth Wash, I airbrushed the foliage and saplings and the entire dirt/mud covered space. Then I appled more foliage and saplings, and then a light spraying on the mixes.

053_zps48acd35f.jpg

The stone work...all to these was hand painting with Vallejo's Model Color - Stone Grey and letting dry. Then a quick light wash with AK's Naval Wash for Wood Decks, let dry for about 5 minutes, then applied AK's Slimy Grime Dark to the bottom edge in an uneven patten, next a little Slimy Grime Light just above the Dark, slightly blending. Finally finishing off with AK's Salt Streaks dry-brushed onto the top...Sorry for the lack of pics at this stage...this entire process to this point was done in one sitting and moved along rather quickly.

Hope this helped a bit!!

Welcome Adam! I think one of our conversations at that last show were on base work too. You can try different mediums for these...plaster, joint compound, PVA , etc... What you feel comfortable with and what you are looking for an end result. ;)

Thanks Rob! LOL...you and me both!! I am really looking forward to seeing what you do with your StuG? Err, that sounded funny when I said it out load!! ;D ;D

Thanks a lot John!! To kind Sir! Most appreciated!! ;)

TRM said:
Your welcome Roy! Glad something helped!! ;D

Every little thing adds to the big picture. The question is when I start my base can I bring it all together ;D

Latest posts

Back