Building Bronco´s 1/35 Type XXIIIB "Seehund" Midget Submarine

The initial streaking is really important. And of course the wash around the weld lines and whatnot really add to the character of this sub.

Outstanding work Alex!!! Great attention to all the details!!! A real pleasure to watch your progress!! ;)

Hi Alex that is a great update and it was worth waiting for.
You wrote that this camo is fictional so do you mean that you made it up or that it wasn’t official camo and was made by crew man on there own?
Regards
Lukasz

Heeyyyy everyone! :)
Thanks so much for tuning in and getting involved!
Awesome!

@Biskup
Hey my friend! :)
Well, I saw a 72nd scale submarine on a Dragon Wagon at a model show early this year.
This sub had some similar effects as a camo. I found it to be very pleasing and felt inspired.
I decided to try something like this, wheter it indicates a natural effect or a camo.
One can maybe put it along some sands on a dio base and show it like a sub lurking at the
bottom of the sea. Would be ok for a sub like this. They serviced mainly in the northern sea
and the british channel, full of shallows and sand banks. That would be the natural effect then.

I think i gonna render it kinda inbetween sorties, currently on land.
Torpedos attached and laying on bracings. Pretty worn at the end.

The torpedos actually had been attached only short before put´n to sea, so it might make no sense
to arm this one and lay it on bracings, but at least we shave something interesting in terms
of corresponding effects, that way.
In this case, the spectator would assume its a man-made camo scheme.
Well, there is no evidence for that.
The only thing I found was the dot-scheme on the periscope.

Conclusively It was definitely not official and there is no evidence for a field-modified scheme.
Its fictional.
This boat is a cross-section model anyway.
Thats the freedom i need. :)))))

@all
Again thank you very much for the nice words!
This time there soon gonna be an update!
I hope.... ;D

cheers everyone!

best

Alex

Thanks for the answer Alex. I thought this camo was a field modification and it looks really cool. But that’s usual with your builds :) Looking forward to see more.
Cheers
Lukasz

Wow.... I missed this !!! Awesome work my friend !

The Water reflection Camo is NUTS.... looks so real !

and those Torpedoes... Off the chain ! they look like real metal !!!

Great little project you have there.... Take good care of it... it's a show stopper !

So glad you're back with an update Alex. Nothing short of INCREDIBLE paintwork on this!! Very inspiring. Look forward to more.

Hey guys,
thanks soooooo much for the friendly feedbacks!

On we go:
What happened in the last few days?
Well..... a lot! :)

On the last picture we had kinda glossy model right?
Now the job was about tune and balance everything.
It was a creative process, i didnt follow any plans.
All i did was playing with colors until it has made some kind of sense to me. :)

DSC03318Medium-vi.jpg

Thin and misty. No heavy color coats on that project anymore.

DSC03322Medium-vi.jpg

More faded rust streaks and rain marks. Its kinda bleached here and there right?
Thats Tamiya buff.

DSC03326Medium-vi.jpg

With some streaks i´m happy, with some I aint. Modeler´s faith...

DSC03332Medium-vi.jpg

The chipping followed the AFV concept since this is a 35th scale model as well.
You know this, right? Bright "unweathered" chips with a brush and a sponge?
Using a bright variation of the base coat?
Followed by some some rusty chips? Yeah, this sort of approach.
In this case the bright part was just a simple drybrush, followed by the mentioned
sponge technique with burnt sienna oils. The result is kinda mix of everything.

DSC03333Medium-vi.jpg

GREEN! Ok, that makes no sense somehow, since these boats had just short sorties
and was painted with kinda anti-fouling stuff I assume, but looks cool, right?
Artistic license.

DSC03335Medium-vi.jpg

How do you like the lil white streaking below the "R"? Does that make sense?

All right.
Lets paint the torpedoes and then we ´re just about to finish that one.
There aint much work to do anymore it seems.

Catch you later :)

God bless you

best

Alex

That is so completely gorgeous. Those caustics are incredible. Incredible. This is art. Good choice of words Norm.

Incredible.

Really Digging this Alex!! The buff highlights and the streaking is top notch..and the greens are more than characteristic, warmer waters would give you all sorts of greens and yellows. Outstanding work on this so far, looking forward to the finale'!!!! ;)

I haven't posted much in your thread here Uschi van der Rosten; but man I've really enjoyed seeing your progress on another beautiful build. Looking forward to seeing everything done, torpedos and all.

JMac

Hey Alex you did a great job there. If I'm not mistaken you finished this piece already? Could you share the pictures with us?
Cheers
Lukasz

Latest posts

Back