Butchered XXI U2540 submarine (cutaway view) kit.

Peter54

This kit is yet to be completed, but at the moment I have another one to focus on. What I seem to do is work on a model until it either gets to me or I come across a stumbling block. That is when I need a distraction for awhile. This kit was one of my distractions. So, I am fairly sure I will bet back into it again and eventually get it completed.

This is my first, and probably my last, plastic model kit. Mainly because I don't like being restricted as kits tend to be.

Revell 5078 U-2540 Int.JPG

When I started this kit, it did not take me long to maverick it. So this is what I have done to it so far...

U-2540_001b.jpg

U-2540_002.jpg

U-2540_003.jpg

It was here, the interior, where I started doctoring things.
U-2540_004.jpg

to be continued...

Experimenting in situ.
U-2540_015.JPG

Making extra torpedo to show underfloor storage.
U-2540_016.JPG

Adding extra bits.
U-2540_017.JPG

U-2540_018.JPG

U-2540_019.JPG
to be continued...

U-2540_020.JPG

Now for the living quarters. Adding railings to the bunkers.
The XXI actually had carpet.
U-2540_021.JPG

Added an illusive passageway between starboard and port compartments.
The holes are for LED lighting the passageway.
U-2540_022.JPG

U-2540_023.JPG

Painting the beds to look like beds.
U-2540_024.JPG
to be continued...

Fixing up the furniture. Painting the boxxes to look like tables.
U-2540_025.JPG

U-2540_026.JPG

Scratch building a radio room.
U-2540_027.JPG

U-2540_028.JPG

U-2540_029.JPG
to be continued...

I decided to make a cutaway section of the battery room.
U-2540_030.JPG

Bought some unpainted figurines to paint and add to the model.
U-2540_031.JPG

U-2540_032.JPG

The battery room will depict a dangerous scene of chlorine gas poisoning from damaged batteries. The gas is light green in colour..
U-2540_033.JPG

U-2540_034.JPG
to be continued...

Experimenting in creating a crewman with a torch. He will be sent down to check on the electrician in the battery room.
U-2540_035.JPG

Watchout! Here comes the Captain.
U-2540_036.JPG

U-2540_037.JPG

Painting the battery room and cross-section.
U-2540_038.JPG

U-2540_039.JPG
to be continued...

Well, the startled crewman found the electrician overtaken by chlorine gas.
U-2540_040.JPG

U-2540_041.JPG

Replacing the cannons with optical fibre to show gun flashes.
U-2540_042.JPG

U-2540_043.JPG
Cannot remember what actually happened with the LEDs, it's been a while since this happened. I am sure to get it going again once I return to complete this model.
To be continued sometime down the track.

So damaged batteries exposed to a seawater ingress creating chlorine gas and a sailor with a non-explosion proof torch entering a hydrogen rich environment only to also be killed by chlorine . ... and killing everyone beyond the watertight hatch .
Smoke em if you got em .
Count Me Out !

I'm surprised you didn't build any torpedo handing gear --- or is that coming ? :D

I figured it would be a synthetic rubber .
I assume it's for acoustic dampening . Can't imagine keeping it clean .

We always thought it was funny that we were to shut down our 4 steam driven fire pumps upon sub detection -- cuz yeah , once those pumps are off , that 100 thousand ton ship swinging those four 66 thousand pound screws just disappears from passive sonar . It becomes a stealth ship . You'll never find us !!

So damaged batteries exposed to a seawater ingress creating chlorine gas and a sailor with a non-explosion proof torch entering a hydrogen rich environment only to also be killed by chlorine . ... and killing everyone beyond the watertight hatch .
Smoke em if you got em .
Count Me Out !

I'm surprised you didn't build any torpedo handing gear --- or is that coming ? :D
Battery torch sparking? I am not biting.

Smoke em if you got em .
Count Me Out !

So many ways to die on a sub, chlorine gas, implosion, invisible high pressure water or air that can cut a man in half ... It ain't for the faint of heart that's for sure

Latest posts

Back