Blohm & Voss BV 155V-1

Well ,
She's finally ready for color-coat .
But it's been so long that now I'm back to undecided on the paint scheme :D

I had sliced off that tiny air scoop just forward the canopy to get it out of the way for the corrective work , and of course when I went to reattach it , it had evaporated from the container I had tossed it into .
So , I made a replacement from a tiny chunk of 1.5 mm aluminum tube and some lacquer putty .

( That will be the only question I'll have in the afterlife - " where did all that stuff go ? Those bolts , that gasket , that entire friggin 2X12 .... " )

lKXWpXs.jpg

RpJa4Jo.jpg
eRmKhOF.jpg
5eGn1n1.jpg

She's getting painted TODAY .
I keep pushing this thing back in front of myself - " dude , you need to finish this F#*$@r "

The underside will be MiG's Hellblau , so I'm starting there and by the time that's dry I will have decided on her camo .

Well ,
She's finally ready for color-coat .
But it's been so long that now I'm back to undecided on the paint scheme :D

I had sliced off that tiny air scoop just forward the canopy to get it out of the way for the corrective work , and of course when I went to reattach it , it had evaporated from the container I had tossed it into .
So , I made a replacement from a tiny chunk of 1.5 mm aluminum tube and some lacquer putty .

( That will be the only question I'll have in the afterlife - " where did all that stuff go ? Those bolts , that gasket , that entire friggin 2X12 .... " )

lKXWpXs.jpg

RpJa4Jo.jpg
eRmKhOF.jpg
5eGn1n1.jpg

She's getting painted TODAY .
I keep pushing this thing back in front of myself - " dude , you need to finish this F#*$@r "

The underside will be MiG's Hellblau , so I'm starting there and by the time that's dry I will have decided on her camo .
Haha I know that feeling... Where the f%#& did I put that thing?! Even worse, when you're dead certain you put the damn thing in that container!

Anyway I wote pink and violet polka dots!

Yep , I definitely threw it into the little container with the prop , spinner and landing gear components - which are all still there ( fortunately )
I was so happy that I removed it so cleanly with the ultrasonic knife .... oh , well . I think the replacement looks better anywaze .

" Anyway I want pink and violet polka dots! "
;)
Don't temp me . It won't take much ; I've been considering something crazy but it will probably be some iteration of the examples on those Me 262 .

I painted the underside with this AK , Medium Grey , " Brand New Formula "
I forgot I had chosen that over the Hellblau .

Cdh5Xjg.jpg
QXjFAUt.jpg

First time using them .
DO NOT use any alcohol with it ,, unless you want it gooey and chunky . It's one of those emulsions
Isopropyl , ethanol / methanol , butoxy ethanol etc etc . No .

I used that Golden airbrush medium , but the Vallejo works also .
I can't verify the contents of the Vallejo , but the Golden is 70% propylene glycol ( retarder ) with the rest water and a tiny amount of Ammonia ( ammonium hydroxide 26% ) , only .2 % .
I assume that's used as a surfactant .

When looking for info on the Vallejo thinner , I saw way too many saying it was mostly isopropyl alcohol .
Well , we know that can't be right .
Probably pretty close to what Golden has concocted .

qv3hmMk.jpg

E0fkpZC.jpg
hRAYTTT.jpg

Into the food dehydrator for a couple of hours @ about 100 F .
Speed up whatever crosslinking is happening , before I start masking atop it . Probably a pretty fast cure with these AK Real Colors .

XZeyj4G.jpg

Liquid masking in progress :

Wr0jEHZ.jpg

LOL
well , Hello , Wrx

That confused me when I posted -- I didn't know you had posted that and when I saw that camo-art , I though " Oh great , what tha? - it posted into the middle of the thread ?? what just happened ? " :D
The site tells you if someone has posted while you're composing yours but I guess I missed it since I kept getting interrupted by all these dogs . o_O

I'm obviously doing the other scheme . Kinda
Thinking of doing a hybrid with the lines .

Last edited:
Which AK ?
I chose all the paints for their color . I'm familiar with the AK Real Color , it's another " lacquer acrylic " , probably similar to Tamiya's , though I've never used Tamiya paints .

Which AK ?
I chose all the paints for their color . I'm familiar with the AK Real Color , it's another " lacquer acrylic " , probably similar to Tamiya's , though I've never used Tamiya paints .
The ones you showed in the previous reply. The Grey ones. I was just wondering, but if it's for no other reason than it's paint you know, it's good enough. I'm just asking cuz there're a lot different paints and I'm always interested in knowing why people chose this or that particular paint... I only know humbrol and Tamiya... And I just bought vallejo for figure painting.

But I did consider trying AK or was it mig, can't remember, purely cuz they have a ball inside for stirring the paint.

So I'm just curious as to your experience, that's all.

Mission Models has the shaker ball .
I wish that shaker ball was in every paint container out there .

The grey AK - those are new to me , hence the search for their composition and proper thinner .
I really like the AK Real Color , Mission Models and Createx for airbrushing .
Any of the " lacquer acrylics " are superior for AB work IMO .

The Mission Models and Createx use the butoxy ethanol as a solvent .
I still can't find the MSDS for the AK High Compatibility Thinner -- it has methoxy propanol and methyl ether in it per the label so there MUST be one out there . It should be accessible on their website . But nope .
I HATE these paint makers .
If I want info on a Liquitex or Golden or Rustoleum ( they'll answer your phone call and tell you ANYTHING you need to know ) or any other established manufacturer's product , no problem .
These guys like Valllejo , MiG , AK ? - good luck .

Mission Models has the shaker ball .
I wish that shaker ball was in every paint container out there .

The grey AK - those are new to me , hence the search for their composition and proper thinner .
I really like the AK Real Color , Mission Models and Createx for airbrushing .
Any of the " lacquer acrylics " are superior for AB work IMO .

The Mission Models and Createx use the butoxy ethanol as a solvent .
I still can't find the MSDS for the AK High Compatibility Thinner -- it has methoxy propanol and methyl ether in it per the label so there MUST be one out there . It should be accessible on their website . But nope .
I HATE these paint makers .
If I want info on a Liquitex or Golden or Rustoleum ( they'll answer your phone call and tell you ANYTHING you need to know ) or any other established manufacturer's product , no problem .
These guys like Valllejo , MiG , AK ? - good luck .
Thank you for taking the time to answer...

When I got back into the hobby half a year ago I only had my old humbrols... Så i used them while waiting for my Tamiya paints... I have to admit they go down a lot smoother and are a lot stronger than Tamiyas paints...

The next thing on my to try list are the metallics from AK... I think they're called extreme. I have a revell 1:32 Pby I want to try it on.

I have the brass in the AK " Extreme Metal " , it's an enamel and performs very well .
I'd definitely buy more of it .

I emailed Humbrol a couple years ago to inquire about their paint components .
They sent me back a canned reply that my question didn't conform to their requirements or something .
LOL - I was never going to use them anyways but I'll definitely never use them now .
I had used some of their enamel paints as a kid . Always liked their cute little containers :p

So the 155 spent around 6 hours in the dehydrator yesterday and is doing all day again today -- at 100 F .
I'm not taking any chances with lifting off the paint when I remove all the latex .
I removed the masking from the underside since I'm always afraid I'm going to weld the tape on ; it's never happened , but ....

Pix prior to insertion :

8SqAe5e.jpg
cZlNjXk.jpg
p8Gtpbo.jpg

I mixed the olive with the red-brown to tone it down ,

mQInHiZ.jpg

jswLbcA.jpg
BgamboP.jpg

I haven't finalized the plan for the empennage yet ,
Want to put some color fore and aft , but I want to see what this pattern looks like first .

Last edited:
I like 'em .
Sprays very well and easy to clean from the AB .
No problems yet :D
A guy over on Armorama recently posted that he had issues with the stuff bonding but I've never had a problem .
The people replying to him confirmed my experience .
They're pretty much AB ready but I do use their butoxy ethanol thinner ( I would definitely not use lacquer thinner in them ! )
Appears the owner of the company is quite helpful if you need him :
https://forums.kitmaker.net/t/mission-models-paint-does-not-play-well-with-others/11100

That Khaki Drab I sprayed on there last had a bunch of grit in it .
It is a few years old now but I was surprised .
I never mix paints and thinners in the paint cup of the AB , so I was able to add the paint to the AB while leaving the grit on the bottom of the mix container .
Maybe they have a shorter shelf life ? - or it was just dried paint from the lid / upper part of the container that got mixed in when I shook the heck out of it .

Thanks !
It didn't take all that long to remove the masking . Only a little longer than applying it .
I used a toothpick to roll the blobs up until they either just came off or I could grab the latex with tweezers .

It will darken up with the panel line wash .
I want to paint the spinner and the tops of the horizontals yellow .
Think I'll paint the engine plumbing and canopy frame first --- I keep changing my mind on the horizontals .

Latest posts

Back