Bismarck 1/400 Papermodel

The 7m Rangefinder is now completed and installed on top of the Artillery Control Rm. When you put it in perspective of the whole ship, this thing was huge.

Forward on view.

Forecastle%2014_zpsrvddpocj.jpg

Side view. You can also see the forward section of the funnel and the aircraft hangers, that were installed this afternoon.

Forecastle%2015_zpsaew2hrmr.jpg

The main section of the funnel is constructed. There was a former for the top of the funnel but not one for the bottom. So a second sheet was printed off, so that a bottom one could be added, stiffening the whole funnel.

Funnel%201_zpswj0svfvi.jpg

Just a more rear view to see the hangers.

Funnel%202_zpsjxiodoj3.jpg

Slowly starting to stretch her out.

Thank you for following.
Questions and comments welcome.

Jim

Thank you Texastony.

Here is an update for tonight.
We have a Funnel!

Finished off and installed the main funnel tonight. The grating was a little fiddly, luckly it was supplied over size so easy to cut to size.

Funnel%203_zpspidrrylo.jpg

Funnel%204_zpsrxh5hihh.jpg

Funnel%205_zps0msyktjz.jpg

There are still exterior details to add yet, so not completely finished with the funnel. That's a job for tomorrow.

Thank you for following.

Jim

Looks amazing.. Luv the fact that it is paper!!! great work.. Looking forward to more...

Thank you Scott and Cargoman.

For the last couple of days, have been working on the rest of the structural details for the funnel area.

Constructed and installed the 2 decks that attach to the funnel.

Funnel%206_zpskmrsf07h.jpg

Funnel%207_zpsgk2gbjsi.jpg

With them attached, worked on the structural supports for these decks, as were the 2 booms for lifting the aircraft on and off the launching rail. These booms I decided to cut out all the beams to give a more natural look.
The last thing constructed and installed were the domes that are used to cover the search lights, on the forward deck. One minus here is that these cover up the support beams for this deck, but they are visible from the front.

Funnel%208_zpsmigbiymw.jpg

Funnel%209_zpspxjlrve4.jpg

Funnel%2010_zpsiz2mfq0f.jpg

Now I can return to the Forecastle and start work on the tower.

Thank you for following.

Jim

Thank you again Cargoman.

I'm really enjoying this build and so far moving ahead at a good rate. Mind you still some fiddly bits to come.

Jim

Man, lots of work going on here. This is coming together nicely.

As I was reading through I found myself thinking of the cool possibilities of this medium. It has almost a 'cellshaded' look to it. Pretty cool.

Thank you Scott.
The possibilities with this medium are indeed vast. There are builders out there that I am just amazed at what they do, and am a constant student of their work and techniques.

Jim

Good Evening.
Time for an update.
The main section of the tower on the forecastle has been assembled, as has the Admiral's Bridge and the Searchlight Platform. This assembly was then installed onto the Admiral's Sea Cabin.

Forecastle%2016_zpswqh10ru3.jpg

Forecastle%2017_zps4c2jgtgk.jpg

Forecastle%2018_zpsebo8pfki.jpg

With this tower installed, started work on the Foretop Artillery Post. With the deck and house complete it was attached to the top of the tower.

Forecastle%2019_zpsqsnrkzmy.jpg

Forecastle%2020_zps4b3boilh.jpg

Forecastle%2021_zpsjimvwxun.jpg

The only major structure left for the tower is the 10.5m Rangefinder.
There is a mast that goes on the back of the tower, but I don't want to risk breaking it while still working around the forecastle. So, will leave that to last.
After the Rangefinder is completed, it will be time to move aft of the funnel.

Thank you for following.

Jim

Good evening.
Good progression this weekend.
The 10.5m Rangefinder is now complete and installed on top of the tower.

Forecastle%2022_zpsuayztwth.jpg

Forecastle%2023_zpspu3bdtnm.jpg

There was one small part still on that sheet. They were the 2 manual small rangefinders for the Admiral's Bridge. So they were cut out, assemble and installed.
The Launching Rail for the aircraft has also been assembled and installed.

Forecastle%2024_zpshtiqhebm.jpg

Upon checking some photos it was found that there is a railing across the narrows of the support platform for the 2 swing booms behind the funnel.
I have photo etch railing in stock and cut one to use in that position. It may be hard to see in the 4th pic, but you can see it.
The upper decks for the Mizzen have now been started. As with all the other deck roofs, this one had to add some superstructure under the deck to support it.

Mizzen%201_zpsrjmsmiuo.jpg

I had an odd piece on the sheet that I have been wondering about for a while. It's purpose finally showed up. It's the back wall to the 3rd hanger and part of the support for the next deck.
This is where I am at tonight.

Thank you for following.

Jim

Latest posts

Back