Bismarck 1/400 Papermodel

Papermodder

Modeller in both Plastic and Paper Card
For my effort this year, I have gone back to another ship. The 1/400 scale Bismark designed by F. Prudenziati, a very prolific model designer who passed away last year.
I've had this kit in my stash for quite a while and felt it was time to bring this model into the light. This model may not be as detailed as some of the 1/200 offerings, but I do not have room for a 4' model ship at this time.

So this is my start, with all 13 pages displayed.

Start_zpsglyvj87b.jpg

This time I hope this one gets finished on time. Last years choice was too aggressive for the time period allotted.
Thank you for following.

Jim

Re: Bismark 1/400 Papermodel

Looks like a cool kit. Another watercraft entry is great!

A paper kit? That's different. I have a papercraft X-Wing "in the works". Someone we all know is doing me a favor and is resizing the pdf's for me.

Sounds interesting Scrach. :) I bet you'll have those pdfs sometime next week.

Thank you Scott and Scrach.
Scrach I look forward to seeing your build of the x-wing.

Went out today and purchased a board to use as a keel board to mount the hull so as I am not over handling the model. It also makes it easier to work on the model with it secured down and keeps the hull straight and true. It's basically the same practice as if one were building a wooden ship model.
Since this is a waterline model, I have started laying out the lower hull. Will have some pics later.

Jim

Looks like you've got another ambitious build here

Scott Girvan said:
Sounds interesting Scrach. :) I bet you'll have those pdfs sometime next week.

The paper X-Wing will be sidelined till after this BSC build is finished. I'd imagine you're very busy yourself, as before, no hurry.

Thank you Adam and Patrick.

This project is now started. the lower hull sections were cut and assembled, then double laminated with card for strength. This section was then mounted to the keel board to keep the hull straight and flat. This also helps in reducing physically handling the hull during construction and preventing damage.

Hull%201_zpshugwq4ig.jpg

Blind nuts are used to secure the hull in place. These will be epoxied in place once all the bulkheads are installed. this makes for easy removal and installation of the ship during the process.
Also in the photograph you will see centre support for the bulkheads, which was assembled today and is drying.
As she stands now the length of this model bow to stern is 24".

Thank you for following.
Questions and comments are always welcome.

Jim

Short update. So far today was able to install the centre support for the bulkheads.
This piece had a slight bit of image stretch, but nothing that will be a problem as it will be hidden inside the hull. All the bulkhead positions line up, that is the most important.

Hull%202_zpsamgry9ee.jpg

Hull%203_zpsrriuq1fi.jpg

Next up is to start cutting out the bulkheads and getting them into place. There are 25 bulkheads, I think I am just going to install them as they are cut out, rather than cutting them out all at the same time.

Hull%204_zpsjbtxsppt.jpg

Thank you for following.

Jim

Watching you do these paper kits is my favourite part of the Big Spring Contest.

Hi Scrach.
My standard paper is 110# card, but it can vary up or down depending the part that is being made. I also laminate card to get the required thickness of strength that is required. I stock up to 2.5mm card in my inventory.
As for glue, my standard is Aleene's clear tacky glue, but also use Aleene's fast tacky glue and thick CA.
As for that artist, yes his work is fantastic, there are others who are just as good if not better.

Jim

Thanks for the details. I'll be putting that glue on the shopping list.

Working on the tedious part of the build tonight, the bulkheads.

Hull%205_zpsvetw53uk.jpg

I would like to get the deck on before the end of the weekend. We'll see.

Thank you for following.
Questions and comments welcome.

Jim

Patrick you like scratch building, should give one a try sometime. Just for something different.

Jim

Latest posts

Back