Basic to Rusting and weathering

Thanks Erik!! Glad to see you stop by!!!

Thanks Scott!! Holiday festivities are done and over and I can begin getting back into a building schedule!! ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)

Looks awesome T. Good that you will be back to the bench soon. Got lots of mojo pics for you brotha.

With the holiday behind us now it's time to get back in the game.

In the next few posts here is a shot of what I think I will be using...

050-2.jpg

Each one of the bottles is just another layer to the picture that I am trying to create.

But, before I go too far, I need to add a few things that will help with the layering process. I some of my reference pictures there are clump of leaves strewn around and jammed into corners and such. I will add these before the next weathering step as the leaves would weather to...in different stages.

052-2.jpg

These "leaves" are just colored Birch seeds. I bought this as a 3 pack at a show for about $10USD. Sorry I have forgotten the actual name of the supplier. However, with a little time and very little skill, you can cultivate your own from some Birch trees and add a bit of color to get the more natural look.

So using a little white glue, I applied these faux leaves to various areas.

055-2.jpg

Later on, I will add a few here and there at different point in the weathering process. Naturally leaves will fall and decay and more fal, and so on and so on.

057-1.jpg

Next, taking some AK Streaking grime, I applied a dark wash to and around the leaves I added.

062.jpg

064.jpg

Letting this dry just a little, I grabbed some AK Slimy Grime Dark. Similar to a pin wash I placed some dark was into the creases and corners, mostly on the horizontal plane as the moldy green slime would settle in to these areas.

067-1.jpg

The keen eyed modeler would notice that I actually would need to turn the bottle around when taking the picture!

In this next shot, I went directly to a light wash using the same Slimy Grime Dark. Putting a little of the grime on the brush and a quick dab in some white spirits to thin, I lightly washes the area. Taking care not to disturb the leaves, but applying some of the grime to them as well.

069.jpg

And as she lies tonight. I will let this sit for a day or so to dry completely. After a little cure I will be ready to add a few more steps

074-1.jpg

075.jpg

078-1.jpg

At this point you begin to see the "aged" weathering begin to show. Up next will be some more streaking and washes.

Thanks for stopping in!!! ;) More to come soon!

Thanks guys, glad to see your hanging in there! Hope to have more soon!! ;)

Stunning. It's crazy that only now you are starting to use the Ak stuff and it just tie's everything together so beautifully.

Thanks John!! Funny how that works out. I am thinking a good prep before the weathering products helps a lot! I did begin a little of the Streaking rust and some other stuff tonight. THe wife went out earlier and took my camera!! I tried to take some shots with the I-touch....yeah.....nope!! I will have to play catch up later and try to explain how I did what I did by just adding some more layers!!! :eek:

Back again folks!!! I need to apologize first for the lack of actual SBS pics on this update. The wife borrowed the camera last night when she was out. I thought I was doing good and used my I-touch.....yeah, I will stick to the real camera I think.

Sooooo, I took some shots tonight showing the first of a few steps to more weathering. I added some streaking Rust and Grime from AK.

Sportsrecsoftball008.jpg

As you can see in these pics, the light streaking rust is added to the chipped rusty sections.

Sportsrecsoftball009.jpg

Sportsrecsoftball010.jpg

Sportsrecsoftball012.jpg

Sportsrecsoftball014.jpg

Sportsrecsoftball016.jpg

On the next step of this SBS, I will be sure to use my camera and take pics of how the streaking effects are applied.

As always, thank you for popping by!!

Thank you fellas!! I hope to have some more on this, this weekend. Somethings cannot be rushed. I wanted to let everything dry for a day. ;)

Thank you Sam!!! Appreciate the kind words...glad you could stop by!!! ;)

Latest posts

Back