1/72 Scale rear are stowage on an Abrams, how to scratchbuild

printables

What it says on the tin. Does anyone have any advice on how to scratchbuild the metal bars that keep everything in? Thanks in advance.
abrams.jpg

Old-school would be to use styrene rod, heated to bend it to shape. Or brass rod, bent to shape and soldered together. I'd make a jig from a a block of wood, to use to get the right size. And pieces of styrene strip or card stock cut to size, for the support brackets. L-profile angle stock, for the bottom frame.

Welcome. Show a picture of what you mean, if you would.
Sorry for not being clear enough. I've circled it in the attached picture, but basically I'm trying to 3d print an Abrams and I don't think my printer will be able to do fine details like the rods on the stowage rack. I was wondering if y'all knew any way to scratch build that at 1/72 scale.
Hi and welcome to the forum. Pantherman
Happy to be here :D
Old-school would be to use styrene rod, heated to bend it to shape. Or brass rod, bent to shape and soldered together. I'd make a jig from a a block of wood, to use to get the right size. And pieces of styrene strip or card stock cut to size, for the support brackets. L-profile angle stock, for the bottom frame.
Interesting, I'll definitely give this a looksie. You have an recommendations for tutorials? Or just what size to use of brass or styrene rod for 1/72 scale? Thanks.

I figure that I can use fine wedding tulle or something for the grate on the bottom.

Attachments

• abrams stowage circled.jpg
    abrams stowage circled.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 10
Sorry, no, I can't recommend any tutorials. I really don't use any myself. It's trial-and-error for me. I'd just eyeball the brass or styrene rod stock, for example. As far as references go, I still use Shep Paine's "How to Build Dioramas" for a lot of things.

Why don't you put some junk in there and cover it with tarp
I could do that and I might end up doing that, but I would prefer to be able to see things like the stowage and AC unit. Do you have a preferred way of doing tarp covers?

Latest posts

Back