66 Nova

Started working on the front end. Just thought I'd post a progress photo. Still a bit to do yet.

Usually car without inner fenders use fender well headers. So I thought while I was at it I'd redo the engine. Clean it up a little. I will reuse the manifold and carbs as is.

Thanks Scott. Got the engine in some Simple Green to see if I can loosen up the paint for a fresh start. Also trying to clean up the front chassis add all the doo-dads.

Thanks Letsgobrowns.

You'll see here a few changes I made to the chassis. I attached the frame to the firewall the more typical way. Added some hex styrene for bolt detail and added the kit steering box. I also made the spring perches and the springs. Not all springs have the curve and I left mine straight to the front end wouldn't be too high.

I just remembered the rear rims. I forgot to take a pic. Maybe after some primer.

Finally got the chassis finished. Well, not quite, still need shocks and traction bars. I used stick pins for the suspension joints and now I can pose the wheels the way I want to.

Made some big fat rims.

Thanks for looking guys.

Thanks for the comments guys. I have the front end pretty well done. I will make shocks, add master cylinder and a radiator after paint. Here it is in primer.

Thanks guys. Got some paint on it. Got some detail painting to do. It is gonna be nice to be able to pose the wheels how I like. The hardest part of all this will be making headers.

noname said:
Thanks guys. Got some paint on it. Got some detail painting to do. It is gonna be nice to be able to pose the wheels how I like. The hardest part of all this will be making headers.
Solder?

No, I usually use styrene. Solder is great but I have nothing at hand to fit the bill. Styrene is nice and light. Here is a set I built years ago.

In reality some guys use to use upside down boat headers. How cool is that! They sure were ingenious back then.

That's awesome Matt! Yea, I miss the originality that the old hot rods and gassers had back in the day. "The Good Ol Days"

Yup,"The Good Ol Days". As far as cars go anyway. ;)

This build has been quite a bugger. A lot of little snags. The last thing I did was the traction bars. Glued them on with holes drilled in them for brackets etc. before I realized one was taller than the other making it hang different than the other side. So I had to adjust that. A lot of messing around like that with this build. Here is a pic of the shackles, shocks and kit traction bars.

Painted the front end with Alclad steel and made the shocks. I will do a bit more painting here. Maybe a bit of rust. I added some silver colour paint to some joints as if recently welded. A few do dads to add and then it's engine time. Yahoo scratch built headers. ::)

The tires above were looking horrible in the backside so I repainted those.

Had to open the wheel wells.

I've done this plenty times before but this time was troublesome. Had to add a bit back to this side. If all else fails I have another body to make a fresh start.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Latest posts

Back