2014 BSC Categories

Honestly, with everything you have going on, and the prospect of moving, I would be going the route of the KISS method.

Keep it simple, Tie or X OOB and be done with it.

As far as the gloss paint goes. Do you sand your primer? The '69 Dodge I did in Butterscotch (Scale Finishes paint, which I believe your Gremlin is also SF paint), over Vallejo grey primer. Wet sanded the primer with 2400 grit, then shot the paint. Still some minor orange peel, which if not for the dust in the paint, could probably get away with just gloss over the paint (even though the paint is one of SF's gloss paints).

As far as the dust....I think you could spray in a vacuum, and still manage to get dust in the paint. Just have to polish it out. I am sure if I had of washed down my paint booth, it may have lessened it, but I think it is one of those things, we paint is like a magnet for dust.

Scott Girvan said:
I'd say build the Fine Molds. Don't get me wrong the studio scale would be great - wish I hadn't sold mine.

But realistically, 3 months...you own a business and work it...you got some family stuff I'm sure...and you're MOVING!! and BUILDING A NEW HOUSE!!! Congrats BTW.

Seriously. Forget the CC X-Wing...go for a nice fun fall together build with the fine molds.

JohnSimmons said:
It's gotta be an X-Wing, preferably the Studio Scale one!

Star Wars fight!!!

Just kidding this is the debate I have had for a while now. I talked with John about it with email a while back. I am still debating this.

The fine molds kit is probably a very nice kit, and that Studio Scale one is one of the better resin kits I have had my hands on. I know I can build it in the time frame we have, and do it justice or it would not be on the list.

Last year I stripped the paint off of the Honda model five times and still finished it....

Elm City Hobbies said:
As far as the gloss paint goes. Do you sand your primer? The '69 Dodge I did in Butterscotch (Scale Finishes paint, which I believe your Gremlin is also SF paint), over Vallejo grey primer. Wet sanded the primer with 2400 grit, then shot the paint. Still some minor orange peel, which if not for the dust in the paint, could probably get away with just gloss over the paint (even though the paint is one of SF's gloss paints).

I am using the scale finishes paint on the Gremlin. And that is what puzzled me at first, I did spoon test with it to see if I can get rid of the orange peel, never put a primer on those spoons. Then I put a primer on the car body and what happened? Orange peel. So I did a spoon test with half primer half no primer and bob is your uncle, no orange peel on the un primered side.

I did not wet sand the primer, just shot the gloss over it. That is probably part of the problem. I was using the Tamiya fine surface primer too.

The primer that did the least amount of orange peel was the alclad primer. Not surprised both primers from the airbursh had less orange peel than the rattle can primers did.

For this contest, I don't know what to build. I have 2 kits in mind. Either the 1/35 Tamiya M2A2 Bradley ODS with Legend's ERA set.
ZnMmNUT.jpg

Or, the Tamiya 1/35 Panther G with Cavalier Zimmerit. What do you guys think?
Flgw7uc.jpg

deffinitly the bradely

As for my ideas I have now figured out the prototype and as a second just in case Airwolf at least this time around I have the time to devote to my build unlike last year where things went down hill.

T: -35h; 50min (according to Central Eurpean time)

I got my stuff figured out: Armor this time around.
Last year: High seas. This year: Deep desert.
Big project, lost of learning ahead!

Can't waiiiiiit! ;D

Cheers,
Guido

The votes are in, looks like I am building an X-wing.

The only question that remains is fine molds or studio scale. They both have their pluses and minuses.....

I guess I need to come up for air from my Power Loader and begin to think about this...

Grendels said:

The only question that remains is fine molds or studio scale. They both have their pluses and minuses.....
Studio Scale! FIGHT!!! The sensible option is Fine Molds but how sensible are you G? I've seen an orange octopus on your head before.......

Grendels said:

I've got to agree with Scott on this one - Fine Molds is the way to go. Keep the contest build fun (considering everything else you have running in the back ground). No matter how you slice it, the FM kit will be easier to put together. With the FM kit you can build it quick if you want, or really pour some love into the finish. You'll also build up experience and references to support building the studio scale kit later, pushing that kit into the stratosphere of awesome when you have the time and energy to tackle it.

Just my two cents.

Latest posts

Back