2014 BSC Categories

Junkie

HOW TO ENTER
To enter simply start your build. Before you start take a photo of the kit with a datestamp in the photo. You can post a WIP thread or not, your choice.

The entry free button will be added to the site soon. No worries.

Get crackin' and have fun.

The 5th annual BIG SPRING CONTEST runs from:

March 1, 2014 through May 31, 2014.

NEW BUILD CATEGORIES
All entries in the following categories must be new, unstarted builds as of March 1, 2014 at 12:01 A.M. - your local time. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place will be awarded in the following 5 categories.
ARMOR
AIRCRAFT
AUTO
SCI-FI
DIORAMAS & VIGNETTES

SPECIAL AWARDS
BEST JUNIOR
Juniors compete just like everyone else...no special 'Junior' category. Single best junior entry will get a special award.

BEST REPRESENTATION OF THEME
This years theme is PROTOTYPES.

"A prototype is an early sample, model or release of a product built to test a concept or process or to act as a thing to be replicated or learned from. It is a term used in a variety of contexts, including semantics, design, electronics, and software programming. A prototype is designed to test and trial a new design to enhance precision by system analysts and users. Prototyping serves to provide specifications for a real, working system rather than a theoretical one." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype

Single entry, from all new build categories, that best represents this theme will win a special award.

BEST OF SHOW
Single best overall entry from all categories.

ALL OPEN
As per previous years there will be an all open category where you can enter a previously completed build from any genre.

Prizes, Entry fees and Awards to be determined.

Thanks for posting the categories Scott. I love the theme, already checked out the stash and I've a few kits that fit the bill.

Are you going to post the official rules closer to March?
Fees the same as last year?
Bases?

Jason.

Scott Girvan said:
Not this year unless entered in dioramas or all open.

Ok... that is a challenge! Scoring in Dio will be quite a feat, as creating a "strong Story" with a ship at it's center is pretty difficult. OK... Enough time to think about it.
:p

Cheers!

Now out of curiosity. Is it possible to build a kit and enter it in certain category make photos and such and then putt in on a base and also enter it as a diorama? ;) It would be very tricky to do but also challanging :)

I would think not because it wouldn't have been an 'un-started' kit when you enter it in dio. IE every catergory you enter the kit has to be a new kit (taking the sprues out of the bags and inspecting the parts, reading the instructions etc is ok just no cuttin & gluin!).

But when you start the kit for other category for example armour. And at the same time start building a diorama? Then all the kits are un-started before the 1st of March. So they do meet the required criteria the only thing is if it's possible to use that kit on a diorama after you enter it separately in other category.
Cheers
Lukasz

Biskup said:
But when you start the kit for other category for example armour. And at the same time start building a diorama? Then all the kits are un-started before the 1st of March. So they do meet the required criteria the only thing is if it's possible to use that kit on a diorama after you enter it separately in other category.
Cheers
Lukasz

If my memory serves me right, one category for each build. No double categories.

Hey guys.

In the past, and in this current contest, I have allowed exactly what Lukasz is describing however it's 2 entry fees.

You can build a tank, take photos and enter in armor, then proceed to place it on a base and make a diorama.

+++

All normal categories other than diorama will be like last year; no base. Just the model. You are welcome to place it on a base after taking final photos for the contest.

+++

Fees won't be more than last year for sure. Still working that out.

+++

Complete rules will be published sooner than later.

Hi Scott,
Thanks for clearing it up ;D As for fees it's just fair to pay for each category.
Cheers

Sounds interesting. As a fan of Paper Panzers, the focus on prototypes is certainly welcome... ;D

Must it be real-life functioning prototypes, or are speculative what if prototypes/mock-ups also part of it?

Out of curiosity, may I ask why ships were removed?

Mikey_W_1980 said:
Could there be a category for 'Best Newcomer' ?

While I encourage new members, and those new to scale modeling to participate there is no distinction among the categories of this purpose.

f2k said:
Must it be real-life functioning prototypes, or are speculative what if prototypes/mock-ups also part of it?
Speculative, sci-fi, paper panzers, prototype jets, cars...whatever. It's wide open to interpretation.

f2k said:
Out of curiosity, may I ask why ships were removed?

For no other reason than choice. I want to keep things simple and limit categories. Last year we didn't have dioramas, this year we do....next year things will again be different.

Hi Scott, would this count as a prototype?

images

Kind regards, Sven.

I think so, yes.

Keep in mind prototype is NOT a separate category. You would build this for the ARMOR category and when you enter it you can check a box to indicate that you also want it to be considered for the PROTOTYPE special theme prize.

We will be selecting ONE winner for the special theme from ALL CATEGORY (except all-open). The basis for this selection is made by finding which entry BEST REPRESENTS the theme...

+++

If..I repeat IF we find there to be ALOT of (like more than 20) entries that are trying for PROTOTYPE we MIGHT choose to select 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Re Prototype, will you want some sort of reference material, blueprints, 3d design type thing or is this a chance for us to take an existing theme (race car/tank) and scratch build what we think would work?

Honestly I'm looking for creativity, or a really cool historical referenece, even if total fiction. I want to look at the piece and have prototype instantly be a keyword I associate with the model or diorama. The deeper you can portray the theme, the better.

Im looking for clever art.

And Webby, all your angles could work.

My build will be for this theme, and I intend to incorporate fiction, blueprints and scratchbuilding.

LOL. Clear as mud.

Be creative, have fun, push your boundaries.

Latest posts

Back