1969 Nova SS

Junkie

Started on a 69 Nova SS this evening. My son has one 1/2 built and I'm going to catch up to him, then we'll finish together. The Firebird will be after this. I have never built a car kit before and thought that an OOB build would make sense before trying to drop the suspension on something.

Basic assembly, cleanup so far.
4194.jpg

If this is the Revell I hear they build up nicely. I have one in the stash.

Nothing beats doing a build with your children. My daughter is working on building her first kit as we speak. Will post pics of the completed build. Of course its a Nascar kit. Shes done everything herself to this point and its been a load of fun supervising. Hopen for lots of pics during this build Scott. Perhaps even a video of you and your son displaying the final build. That would be wicked cool Mate!!!!!

I have one of these Nova kits. Been saving it. I love these 68-72 Novas.

Same here. I'll be shooting some video for sure. This will be a fun way to get back into it...build one OOB.

Scott,

Will you be building the sub assemblies and then painting it or how are you doing it ? Do you put all the parts of the engine together you can of the same color until then paint that color, and for the remaining pieces of the engine you brush paint them then assemble to the solid color pieces of the engine ? I'm kind of confused as to how you guys that build each sub assembly then paint it do this. Is it you have that great of control with the airbrush that you can paint each individual piece of the engine with the color it calls for or do you mask and paint piece by piece by color or ??????

I'm going to build like colored sub assemblies and then paint them. So odd colored will be painted separated an attached but where masking will work I'll assemble, paint then mask and paint. Just depends.

Again, my first car, so I'm just figuring it out too.

Here's a couple pics of todays progress:

4195.jpg

4196.jpg

Would someone please point out to me where the plugs go on this engine. It's a Turbo-Fire 350/300hp.

in between the exhaust ports, something like this:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ooooh nice work there, reminds me of my old boat engine. I apologise all ready mate that I will have zero helpfull input apart from "that looks awesome mate!" I literally know nothing about car kits (and 1:1 cars for that matter lol) but I'm definitely along for the ride and I think it's so cool that your doing this with your boy, that's something I hope to do when my lad grows up ;D

Two plugs go in between the exhaust manifold on each side of it. Sorry about the crappy arrows but all I had was windows paint to use. Hope that helps ;D

Thank you both! and you too MJ....you are awesome mate!

There will soon be more 'where does this wire go' questions. Please bear with me.

And if you want to get technical about it:

2007-11-26_021042_1.gif

P.S. I usually don't ;D

Sweet reference. Thank you. Yeah, I'm undecided about the firing order...not too concerned actually.

I just finished my first DIY Distributor. Now, boots.

4197.jpg

OK, so here's another question.

What are the wires, as seen highlighted in my attachment. Where do they go etc...?

They seem like major players to me. lol...

In the circle?

It would be a breather, sometimes it's attached to a vacuum line, sometimes they were just little stubby things with a small filter.

2623161646_fbd7da6966.jpg

129_0402_05z+1971_chevrolet_suburban+valve_cover_breather.jpg

Scott Girvan said:
OK, so here's another question.

What are the wires, as seen highlighted in my attachment. Where do they go etc...?

They seem like major players to me. lol...

Scott, Ken is correct...breather...in your pic the wires actually are in a loom, clamped to the valve cover. Same clip can be seen to the top left of the oil fill cap. Kind of deceiving as the black rubber hose leads into the PCV (breather) and the clips are the same color of the valve covers. ;)

Latest posts

Back