1969 Nova SS

Me thinks I'll be placing another order soon Scott! ;)

Hooter - I'll have a video up soonish....and I'll run through what I did here. I'll have it ready around the end of the week or so.

Scott Girvan said:

Hooter - I'll have a video up soonish....and I'll run through what I did here. I'll have it ready around the end of the week or so.

NP, let me know what you are looking for and I can order it in.

Usually carry the Parts by Parks distributors in stock, I know you made your own, but they take all the work out of it! LOL

To a begining modeler who knows nothing about engines, this thread is invaluable. Thanks for the info!

I have always liked the look of the muscle cars and want to build them but I am not knowledgable in the inner workings of a car at all. This is great.

Scott Girvan said:

Awesome Scott!!!! Thanks.

Sweet build, Scott! Are you fighting the urge to weather the heck out of it? ;D I felt that way, with the first car I built. I did compromise a little and stripped the chrome off some of the parts, because I didn't like the look in scale.

Some of the rest of you mentioned you've never built a car, or that you might have some apprehenions. I looked at it this way--I can build any kit, using the same skills, so I didn't think about the subject. I recommend trying one, if you never have.

Thanks MJ!

Guys another quick question. If I'm modeling something like this:
383IntakeCarbs6.jpg

Why am I leaving them 'kit' chrome? Don't look chrome to me. Looks like a filter. Same for the carbs...not chrome at all?

I am going to dechrome these, and substitue the filter with a print I just made. Worth a try at least...

Spud, just incase, that's real. Not a model.

When I was a kid I loved all the chrome parts. The more chrome the better. As an adult model builder I'm like "Man, too bad I have to dechrome all this crap". LOL!! There actually are chrome carbs on some 1:1 cars but they are usually show cars that never get driven. I can say I've never seen a chrome air filter though. Don't think much air would pass through that. LOL.

Great vid Scott!! Glad to see you back up and running!!! Footage looks top rate!!! Now get back to the bench!!! ;D

Thanks for the comments.

Tonight I've dechromed everything and tried Alclad for the first time. I have their black micro filler/primer, Chrome and Aircraft Aluminum.

Here's the first try out using Chrome over Black:
4200.jpg

It's not as shiny as I expected...what do you think?

Well, personally I like the dull chrome look!! So yeah, it nice!!

If you were looking for the shinny side of things, it looks like you a bit heavy on the application. I lay down the same Gloss Black Base 1st ans then dump the psi on the comp. down to 10-12psi and from about 2 inches...ooops....50.8mm away ( ;D ) mist a coat covering the entire surface and let dry....5 to 10 minutes. Should look black, shiny with a silvery shine...mist a second...let dry......should look sweet...sometimes you could get away with one more quick mist, but, the more you put on the more dull it gets.

But like I said, looks good!! I be a mill finish fan!! 8)

Ahhh! OK, thanks. I don't mind it. I like it too. Now I 'get' how it works.

In other news. I can't find the pins for the 'axles' anywhere. Where the heck did those go?!?!?!?!

I agree with T. I think this style wheel came in brushed aluminum anyway. I think the look is spot on Scott.

Cool. I just watched their vids...great stuff to spray. Didn't get much done tonight...but I'll have another short vid up tomorrow.

Ok Scott, me being a car guy I have to correct myself. The wheels in this kit are Centerline Convos. The center of the wheel has the brushed aluminum look and the outer part is chrome. ;D

mag-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back