1969 Nova SS

Cool! Nice wheels. I think ill just leavem as is though. Gonna try and really shine up the bumpers...Alclad tryout #2.

Thanks man. And thanks for all your help. I'm gonna need lots before I'm done.

I have Alclad chrome and aircraft aluminum. What other colors should I consider getting? Say if I were to buy two more, for now, which ones? If I need anymore at all.

Colors.....brass and burnt steel!!! Effect that are sweet are burnt violet and sepia!! These last two misted over the chrome......yummy!!!

I've only had experience with the chrome and that is limited. I'm not very knowledgable with the stuff. I also like Testor's metallizing laquers. They come in buffing and non-buffing. They work great for a stainless or aluminum looking finish.

TRM said:
Colors.....brass and burnt steel!!! Effect that are sweet are burnt violet and sepia!! These last two misted over the chrome......yummy!!!

I'm getting hungry now...

We could try some Alcad on that Cheeseburger you had tonight??? :-X

"Beef, it's what (was) for dinner." hahaha

I actually had ketchup and provolone on the burgers...

LOL......

OK taking this back on topic!! Soz Scooter!! :p

You must be done with the bumpers by now ey? ;D

Scott Girvan said:
Thanks for the comments.

Tonight I've dechromed everything and tried Alclad for the first time. I have their black micro filler/primer, Chrome and Aircraft Aluminum.

Here's the first try out using Chrome over Black:
4200.jpg

It's not as shiny as I expected...what do you think?

The reason the chrome didn't come out as shiny is because the black you used was their black primer, and not their Gloss Black Base. Doesn't have to be their gloss black base, can be any enamel gloss black, but you won't get the chrome look putting it over a black primer. Something about the glossy black that reflects (refracts?) the light on the chrome making it shiny.

The wheels do look good dull like that. Run a black wash to bring out the details, and maybe a silver/chrome on the lugnuts, and you would be golden!

AHHHHHHH! THat's it! I'm using the black primer, not the gloss black base.

DUH.

I"ll need to get some. I don't have a gloss black enamel. Only thing close would be Tamiya....and that's not enamel.

I just shot everything with the black primer.

Can I go over that with the black base, then chrome and not loose detail?

Scott,
You are a few steps ahead of me on my entry into model building (coming over from painting wargaming figures). I purchased my Alclad chrome and Alclad gloss black the other day. Following along on your project is a great learning experience.

Thanks to all the car guys out there lending a hand on this!

Cool Mike. Just right in man. That's what I'm doing. It's the only way to learn.

I appreciate all the advice and help too. That's why we're here.

Just placed a nice order at ECH! Thanks Scott.

Gotta vouch for his service man. I pick up the phone, we chat and work out what will work. A quick online transaction and it ships today!

So, while I wait for the high gloss black...and a range of Alclad II colors to arrive, I"ll build some simple steps, finish the closet shelves and then get back to some videos.

I do have another that will go up later today though.

Scott Girvan said:
I just shot everything with the black primer.

Can I go over that with the black base, then chrome and not loose detail?

It's all extra layers of paint, mind you both the gloss black base and the chrome are very thin paint, so you might not loose as much detail like you would with maybe another coat of primer and regular paint.

Cool. Too late now to do it any other way. Just bumpers, license plates, carbs and cleaners.

So..in the future, do I still primer then gloss black, then chrome?

Parts to paint chrome....I usually just strip the existing chrome, gloss black and then chrome....less layers means better detail once the chrome is laid down.

Only time I might lay down a primer before the gloss black, is if the part was resin, but that is more or less just to act as a barrier between the resin and the Alclad.

Latest posts

Back