1/48 AT-ST

Thanks guys. Glad you are all enjoying it (it really is a fantastic kit).

I glued the cockpit together today, at least the major parts (sans the top). A few notes: If you remove the mounting points the big arrow is pointing to, then there's less of a gap between the roof and the front (Scott Girvan pointed this out). One small seam on either side to fill in. And if you remove the mounting plate of the visors (remove the plastic down to the notched rectangle in the pic), you can position them at almost any angle. They pop of easier, but they can stay in place without glue.

wip-at-st17_zpsptga2dkc.jpg~original

You can see the gap is still there, but not as prominent. Plus, I want to be able to remove the roof. Also used 1.1mm rod and putty to cover the mounting holes for the handrail. And I drilled out some more rivets on the roof.
wip-at-st18_zpscbze7eut.jpg~original

You can see the new position of the modified visor.
wip-at-st19_zpsxhbp750l.jpg~original

I didn't realize the cockpit was so detailed. Great paint job on the interior. I would really be temped to kight
the interior so you could peek through the windows and see the detail.

Well done so far!! You've done some great detailing in the office!! ;D

Thanks all. ;)

Minor update. I added a thin strip (and then sanded it even thinner) to the front of the roof to close the gap. The side gaps are still there, but I want the roof removable, so those gaps will stay. If I do another, I think I could add the strips to the cabin walls, and then sand the roof to fit (might be a better option). Also, I drilled out the rivets along the front of the roof (.3 mm drill bit or smallest available).

wip-at-st20_zps3sl4hlfe.jpg~original

JohnSimmons said:
Nice man, taking notes.

Thanks. I haven't mentioned it, but I'm combining all the pics/text on my website for an easy to read review/reference: AT-ST. Having some host issues right now, but I hope to get those resolved in the next week.

Scott Girvan said:
You are killing this. Fantastic work man.

Just so long as it doesn't kill me. So far (knock on wood), I haven't shed any blood for this project. Usually, I'm a pint deep by now.

Well, another day, and I finished what I'm calling the "base" AT-ST modifications. Anything further will be for the particular picture I'm trying to copy. The fo

Using my punch set, I punched .8mm holes into thin styrene strips (.8mm being the diameter of the brass rod used for the handrail). I then aligned the strip and punched 2mm holes centered over the other holes, which created 4 little donuts. Now, I had to do this many times to get 4 that were near perfect. Using my modified Chopper, I cut 2.5mm width (Evergreen 105) strips into 8 4mm planks. These were hand-cut again to create an angled edge. I used the flush-cutters to cut the angle, using one piece as a guide for the others.
wip-at-st21_zpsmwenxam7.jpg~original

Using 1.5mm strips (Evergreen 103), I cut 3mm planks, and glued them to the inside of the larger planks. I would then sandwich them using the other planks.
wip-at-st22_zpsfygrlwps.jpg~original

Here you can see the finished sections. I also cut out little divets in the circle. The idea here is that I would slip the circles onto the brass rod, then attach the circles to the angled support pieces.
wip-at-st23_zps4j4a2mmu.jpg~original

Here you can see the circles attached to the handrail. The cut out would slip into the angled parts and be cemented in place.
wip-at-st24_zpsjfl6c31r.jpg~original

Finally, here is the end result. I think I would have been better off gluing the angled supports on the roof, then attaching the handrail. But it worked pretty well my way. I took some liberties granted, but I think it looks pretty Imperialistic.
wip-at-st25_zps0htlkvwy.jpg~original

Latest posts

Back