1/48 AT-ST

Really interesting stuff...and kinda annoying that the plastic doesn't like the washes.....

astroboy said:
I normally do my washes with odorless turpanoid and oils. With that hold up?

I would hold off or use it sparingly. I hope to upload some more photos tonight or tomorrow regarding what I've encountered and how I weathered it.

OK, so I did have some trouble using enamels on the walker. Specifically, I noticed the upper hip hinges had cracked as you can see in the picture. They didn't crack in the front, only in the back, but it loosened the tension in the joints and I ended up gluing them. I believe any time enamels/spirits pool in the joints, it can cause the plastic to stress fracture. HOWEVER, if you are careful in using only a little enamel at a time and only a slightly dampened thinner brush (for stumping) you shouldn't have a problem. Just don't let it pool and maybe stick to something clay-based for washes (if you like applying washes thickly.
wip-at-st40_zpswgx0jidb.jpg~original

For the filter, I used Mig AMMO Blue-Grey wash. It is semi-mild, and I was careful to lightly apply it. I then added light grey paint chips via a sponge. I then came back with Abteilung oils to create all kinds of streaks, highlights, shadows, etc. You can see I hit some of the panels with the off-white oil to add modulation. I used the darker oils to add mud/dirt. There's even a Starship Filth color that was perfect for...well...starship filth. Then to add variation, I used the light tan to add some color in certain areas. Specifically, look at the row panels on the inner hip joints and how they are different shades.

wip-at-st41_zpsz5hcy4es.jpg~original

More streaking on the cockpit. I painted the figures (even did the black piping on the helmets). And for the markings, I used part of the "M" on a USMC stencil, which I modified somewhat. I don't build modern armor, so I didn't mind cutting the M a little. In my mind, this is an Imperial way of counting. Each marking is a composed of 5 lines, except for the last one, which is only 3 lines. So you could say this unit has 18 kills or has gone on 18 missions...or maybe squished 18 Ewoks. Finally, I added a small decal that looks like numbers underneath.

wip-at-st42_zpsaugpzykd.jpg~original

I will get some more photos up, but for now, here's a finished shot:

at-st-command1_zpsqqj9y1hv.jpg~original

That looks fantastic. Really quite nice.

As for the white spirits eating the plastic a few sites have stated that the plastic is polyethylene instead of the more common polystyrene or abs. Might be what's causing it to react badly with the solvents. Does this happen with other Bandai kits?

Thank you everyone.

Quick question, do you think it needs some more streaking/weathering (mainly on the head)?

I'd be inclined to say 'yes' more weathering. But what's it's story you have going on? The Snowtrooper says 'Hoth" to me, so weathering might be on the light side any way. As of now, it looks great, and I'm sure it'll look just as good with a little more grime on it.

Thanks guys. I went back and added some more weathering, mostly around the head. It's almost all oils creating streaks, modulation, shadows, dirt and built-up crime.

wip-at-st44_zpsfrzjevvq.jpg~original

Cheers

Latest posts

Back