1/35 X-wing - Forced perspective Diorama

Scott looking fantastic love the look the pre-shading gave,
are you happy with it? I think this is the best green version
I have seen painted up great job! ;D

Coming on great Scott ,loving the paintwork on the x wing ....super stuff :) never seen one with green stripes before ,but I dont watch much sci fi stuff .....I'll go and hide now ::) :p

Chris.

Wtih all the Red Fives out there it nice to see a different colour scheme. The green looks awesome! Excellent work!

Thanks guys. I'm really digging this build. Tons of fun to be painting.

I've started with an 'experiement' in paint chips on the lower side. I've used 2 colors for the chipping, white and a dark grey. White to chip the top layer of green and grey to chip the white down to a color exposing the bare metal of the ship. Both would be caused by wear and space debris...

I will give this a few layers of filters and then washes after the chipping to unify it a bit and remove the major stark contrast.

Not an ILM'77 technique necessarily however I want to try an paint this with a 'realistic' look. What do you think?

3644.jpg

Scott, fantastic job on the realistic chipping detail. Did you use a very fine brush to create the chip detail?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback on this. Honestly wasn't 100% sure about it.

Yes, the finest brush I have is what I use....and a really, really, light touch. Almost 'dancing' the brush where I want the chips. It's not hard to add more if you don't have enough but it's kinda tricky to remove it if you have too much.

Think your nailing the chipping Scott!!! Very realistic!! I'm not a builder of Sci-Fi, but certainly enjoy a great build no matter the subject....this one though, you almost got me interested in picking up an X-wing at some point myself!!! ;D Rock on!!! 8)

At first i wasn't a fan of the green look. But the more this progress the more i'm liking it, the chipping is a really cool touch.

Great work Scott

The Gag

Thanks guys.

Do you think there should be some aluminum revealed under the chips?

I really wish I would have sprayed some AK Chipping Fluid before the green stripes. I have no idea why I didn't do that....Too late now, next time.

Scott Girvan said:
Thanks guys.

Do you think there should be some aluminum revealed under the chips?

I really wish I would have sprayed some AK Chipping Fluid before the green stripes. I have no idea why I didn't do that....Too late now, next time.
The chipping effect you're using looks great!
As far as bare metal showing through the chips, I'm a fan of the "less is more" approach. For instance, the raised panel on the lower part of the wing might benefit from some bare metal showing through. Access panels look good with that kicked around and abused look. Too much metal showing through the chips doesn't look realistic to me unless the whole paint surface is seriously damaged.
3644.jpg

Thanks Splashcoat. Less is more for sure. I was starting to feel this becoming 'more' so I stopped.

Here are some pics. I still have to touch up the chipping on the green areas. I used white to do this and found it harder to get small tight chips. The washes, grime and streaks will help to smooth it out.

3645.jpg

3646.jpg

3647.jpg

Scott, your chipping looks spot one. I just tried it on my Pz. II, it's not easy getting it to look real. Yours looks very realistic, well done.

Thanks wyoroy. It's tricky at first but you'll get it. I practiced alot before this kit, which is just more practice.

Use the sharpest, smallest brush you have. Don't put much paint on it. Stick to painting the chips on the edges...places that would get hit, bumped etc... Don't try to make small dots but very random tiny shapes. Keep are really light feel and build up the chips. You'll get it.

Looking sweet Scott!! Can't wait to see some filters and wash hit this one!!! ;)

Thanks Todd. Here's bit of an update.

A bit of paint and lots of gluing. I also couldn't resist and removed the masks. Next up is a Satin coat and then on to oils and enamels.

3648.jpg

Latest posts

Back