1/35 X-wing - Forced perspective Diorama

Junkie

Yo.

In my insanity I have started another kit. The AMT Electronic X-Wing. It's 1/35 scale. Nice and big.

Some guys over at starshipmodeler are having a summer group build and I decided to join in with 'em on it. I still have work to do on my contest entry however I decided tonight to start this kit too - always fun to have 10 or 11 kits on the go! ::)

xpro-001.jpg

Gonna model a landed version - bit of a hangar scene maybe....I'll see once I finish that firebird for the contest.

Re: 1/35 X-wing

That is a nice size kit Scott. What year did that come out. I see you have the metal tubing all cued up! Keep us posted.

Looks nice and big.
could prove an interesting build, especially to do her landed

Should be fun. Not sure what year....90s I guess. I got this one on eBay. Tubing all ready for new guns and scratch built landing gear.

Nice.. I had no idea this kit existed before Scott started this tread. Cant wait to see what you do with it Scott.

nice i had that kit when it cam out and screwed it all up of course. but i just fin ishd this studio scale. wethering done yesterday..ALL DAY.

[attachment deleted by admin]

So !!! Scott is going all Sci Fi on us hey ? ::)

Again !

nice to see you Sticking to your ROOTS !!! Wasn't it "why" SMA got off the ground ?

Anyway ! I was never sure about this kit !!! Due to the electronics and mainly the Little motor
that moves the wings... lots of AM stuff came out for the 48th scale ones but not too much for that one !!! always wondered why ?

Are you going full throttle on this build? or just going for a Kool looking X-Wing ? those on SSM are going loony on this... is it to be considered one of the best reproduction out there... after the FM kits ???

its over 20 years old... can't be that good right ? wrong ?

what sort of Sounds is the E box suppose to give you...? I have seen them on line but I didn't score one at your price... yet... they always pop up in the 40 and 50$ range....

I can see you have the Hair Spray bottle already out... are you going to do some of that as well..?

I will be following this with great interest... as I have been looking at my AMT and my FM Xwings... but the paint work and all that weathering is... challenging at best !!! very intimidating for an X wing VVergin like myself....!

I wont' use any of the kit electronics at all. This one will be landed.

As for modifications - just going for a good looking X-Wing. I want to try to sculpt Mara Jade too. It'll be hers.

It's a really decent kit. Got this on eBay for .99cents - plus $20 shipping. The fit is quite excellent and the detail is good. With a few modifications it'll build up into a nice kit.

well after seeing the OOB review... I might be on the look out for it ??? don't know.. ! it looks BIG !

Humm ! I need practice first thou !

I'll be taking notes.... should be interesting to see all the different one that will pop out !!! of that group build ...

later !

and let me know about those PIPES you guys are swapping around....

NORM.

Norm, the back of the wings are as Robiwon said, not to well defined with blobs at the inner section closest to the wing root. The pipe is supposed to be embedded into the form of a trench that runs the length of the wing. I sanded off this detail and replaced it with styrene channel, a resistor to mimic the "blob", and a straight piece of brass rod to represent the new pipe. When painted this modification will add much needed depth to the back of the wing as well as another focal point of interest. It will "pop" as we have been saying.
Hope the pics help. ;D
I'm currently working on part 3 of the video build up and should have it up in the morning. I'm doing that tonight rather then model this kit so my finger can heal a bit.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ahh, that rod detail is missing in the 1/72 FM X-wing trailing wing edges. Already got mine painted, Wonder if I can still add it in there.

Good to know! Thanks for the info!
When I practice on the AMT 1/48 ish.... One I'll try to remember to do that!

Got some more kitchen table modeling in tonight.

Clockwise from top left:

1. Removed inaccurate vertical bar from intake.
2. Chopped R2s head off so I can pose it. Removed his 1/2 legs so I can build full legs. He won't be in the X but on the ground.
3. Almost finished the brass cannons.
4 & 5. Removed inaccurate detail from wings. Even though this will be modeled landed with wings closed I still feel to do it right. I think I'll have one wing damaged and therefore you'll see some of this work.

Not pictured but I have the engines assembled and the cannon main part that attaches to wing tip assembled too. The rest of the parts are cleaned up.

prox002.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Latest posts

Back