MPC 1:48 A-Wing

stevethefish

My name's actually not Steve
SAM_5794.JPG

SAM_5795.JPG
SAM_5798.JPG
SAM_5799.JPGSAM_5800.JPGSAM_5805.JPGSAM_5809.JPGSAM_5821.JPGSAM_5828.JPG
Here is my finished MPC A-Wing. This is the old kit from the '80s with the tinted canopy. Fortunately, the triangle decals still work fine. The tiny pilot figure that comes with this kit is complete crap and I tossed him into my Sarlaac Pit (trash can). The pilot I used instead came from MPC's TIE Interceptor, which is completely inaccurate for the Imperial pilot figure but looks rather appropriate as an A-Wing pilot!

The kit is nice, but I needed to use putty to fill in the huge holes where those landing gears plugged into. I used some copper rod and other parts to cover up the area where the central landing gear hole is.

I used Oyumaru and UV resin to drill out holes for the cockpit console to light up the instrumentation.

Since this is an older kit with raised panel lines, I first primed the A-Wing black, then used a pre-shading technique for the panels using Mr. Color 307 is the main base color. I then went over it with Tamiya LP-35, Insignia White. I used Mr. Color 66 Bright Green for the trim, which I think turned out nicely. I used masking solution to achieve the paint chipping. Gaia Notes 43 Clear Black was used for the smoke effect.

Lighting this kit was fairly easy, except for the cockpit interior. Holes were drilled for the engines. For the central cluster of engines, I used fiber optics, but in retrospect using SMDs would have provided a far better effect.

I'm curious if Round2 has plans to re-tool this kit and re-release it.

Link to my Tumblr post for this kit.

Excellent work. Nice too see it finished

I love the green color scheme

As far as a Round2 repop, they have not announced one, but if they did, I would love to see them modify it to have scribed panel lines and a new pilot figure

Excellent work. Nice too see it finished

I love the green color scheme

As far as a Round2 repop, they have not announced one, but if they did, I would love to see them modify it to have scribed panel lines and a new pilot figure
Definitely a new pilot figure! The cockpit interior is fairly accurate, but they just need to provide a floor and details for the tub sides.

BTW, we haven't been Skyping on weekends much as Gary keeps working weekends. If you'd like, I can text you and let you know whenever the next time we chat.

Definitely a new pilot figure! The cockpit interior is fairly accurate, but they just need to provide a floor and details for the tub sides.

BTW, we haven't been Skyping on weekends much as Gary keeps working weekends. If you'd like, I can text you and let you know whenever the next time we chat.

Definitely!

Latest posts

Back