[WIP] Tamiya T72 M1 Russian Tank 1:35

Yeah, could do that. It will need heavy weathering for sure. Could have got snagged on something and tore off, or it got bent back into the tracks and the crew ripped it off - battle damage I suppose.

Shouldn't have torn it off though. It looked pretty good the first pic. did you try to do more on it or something and really pull it out of whack?

No. I was so [disappointed] that I got out the dremel and cut it off. It was literally on fire. It looks half decent in that photo but it was a real mess. Nothing that would have happened naturally at all.

The skirts are my favorite part of the tank. ARGH! I suck. Oh well. Maybe I'll just remove that front fender altogether.........eh?

Scott Girvan said:
The skirts are my favorite part of the tank. ARGH! I suck. Oh well. Maybe I'll just remove that front fender altogether.........eh?

Yeh I like the skirts on tanks too. :/ I would just try and disguise it as damage. The piece you threw away, still go it? I'd try and to a glue back on using putty to fill in any thing needed and make it look like torn metal.

I think so. I was kind of seeing red. I could probably scratch build it, maybe with pop can tin. I'm gonna go try something...or paint the Spitfire.

*whoops, hit edit instead of quote :-X

Scott Girvan said:

Why not forge ahead and stick with your original idea, that battle isn't lost yet.

Remove the melted plastic fender where the natural seams on that part are in real life. Look carefully in that photo, you see a hinge where the crew could fold the fender back for maintenance. Remove it all clean to there and then scratch a new fender out of some soda can or other thin foil. You can probably emboss those raised ribs with a ball point pen while it's still flat (before you bend it to shape), then make a simple 'hinge' with some plastic rod or something, bend up the tin fender how you want it (much easier than bending thick plastic) and glue it on.

Once it's painted you'll never know it's another material.

I bet you'll like it so much, you'll think about doing the same to the other side. ;)

Scott Girvan said:
I think so. I was kind of seeing red. I could probably scratch build it, maybe with pop can tin. I'm gonna go try something...or paint the Spitfire.

:eek:

Oh jeeze... I missed that completely...

*sigh

So I just performed surgery a bit.

Cleaned up the mess.
fix1.JPG

Made a replacement.
fix2.JPG

fix3.JPG

Primered it to feel better about myself and the world in general.
fix4.JPG

Overall I think with lots of dirty, rust and a dead soldier slouched over it it should look alright.
fix5.JPG

Whoa, that's some good rebound work. did you recast it into a mold or something? How did you get the details back?

Thanks. It's just sheet styrene and strip styrene for the embossed part. In person it's rough but once painted and weathered it'll do.

I did try (after doing what I did) a test using pop can tin and a pen to emboss the detail. That works too and I think with careful measuring would look better but I'm over it.

Got the big gun assembled and some of the turret. I'm moving on.

Thanks for the link Jeep.

Man! The first pict. Looked ok!..... The rest. Oh god! What's the rush???
You must have [€ursed] or maybe not?

The replacement fender is a piece of work!!! All those X wings mods came in handy!
It looks right! You saved the day....

Take your time.....man! A year is a long time!

Norm.

Thanks.

I"m not trying to rush but I'll be done this in a few weeks for sure. It's fun. I'll end up building a few for this GB. Why not?

I've been trying to think of a good think to 'plow' the front end of this tank into. A snowbank? Bushes? The river? Any suggestions?

Scott Girvan said:
Thanks. It's just sheet styrene and strip styrene for the embossed part. In person it's rough but once painted and weathered it'll do.

Well damn, it come out damn good! Anything else you can cover up with paint and weathering :)

Chechnya, Summer of 1996. 1/7

hey Scott, how about detailing it for Chechnya? Its NOT well known here in the west. I don't understand a lick of Russian but the heroism of this interview crosses the language barrier. Keep in mind that a T72 has a three man crew. This guy, pulled two burning crewman out of a burning tank. Extinguished a burning tank, gave aid to his comrades and fought that tank solo. Pretty incredible stuff, and humbling in a way.

Wow, that is moving man.

Thing is, the kit doesn't come with the reactive armor, not to mention any other details I'd need. I don't want to spend any money at all on aftermarket for this. It's a great story and could make a great model....

Latest posts

Back