[WIP] Tamiya T72 M1 Russian Tank 1:35

Junkie

YeeeeeeHaaaaaw! Gonna get in on this action. I have chosen the T72 M1 Russian Tank. Going with an OOB Build on this guy and I have some plans for a diorama, but more on that once I get too it. I am not going to youTube this build - just a fun project without the 'work' of having to video everything.

Here are some pics.

Nice and big! Great artwork too.
box.JPG

Lots of parts and the usual Tamiya sweetness.
sprues.JPG

Cool cast detail on the turret.
turret.JPG

A few extra goodies to boot! A bit of PE, mesh, wire, springs. Looks like a Ma.K. kit.
media.JPG

Cool. Thanks for the cheer leading! Really looking forward to this build. Hopefully I'll start a bit on it today while the paint dries on the spitfire.

Can someone tell me what the white is on this pic? Is is paint or a tarp???

1084365123_01.t-72m1_200.jpg

The white on the barrel is paint but that white on the turret looks like a tarp.

Yep! Hasty cam paint on the barrel thermal blanket, and a superb winter cam net.

They now sell them! Looks like a huge decal sheet! You soak it and while it's lifting off the
Carrier film, you flick a few pre cut parts to give it form.... Canadian and German tank
Luvers will go nuts on this stuff!! Russians too!

Can't remember the company name but will come back later if I find it!

I ordered that very same kit 2 weeks ago, for this build and still not here! I guess i'll have to use a different Paint scheme.... Or pick something different? Too many kits...

Good luck with it!

Probably Echelon decals....they do a 3D decal for Barracuda Camo net to replicate the ones on the Canadian Leo2A6Ms in Afghanistan.

Cool. Thanks all.

Yeah, I'm gonna winterize this a bit being Russian and all. Mostly like that pic I think. I don't think I'll do a white wash though. I'll save that for another tank - maybe the T34 I have. The Olive Drab vs. Matte Black are too cool to cover up. Gotta find some more reference for that tarp.

Gonna be a fun build.

Got a bit done on this today. Nothing much to look at yet but it's a start.

Step 1
step01.JPG

Step 2
step02.JPG

No kidding. It's insane how easy a build this is and looks to continue to be. These must be computer engineered eh?

I could be wrong, but i think i heard that Tamiya redid the kit a few years ago.....(Elm City might know) But compared to the Tamiya tanks I've built in the past, that lower hull is CRAZY detailed!

I wouldn't know but yes it's detailed. I'll get some close ups posted later tonight to show the kit a bit better.

Pace Yourself Scott.... or you will be done in 2 nights.... LOL !!!

That's How fast I was done with my Leclerc MBT....

Looking good.... Tamiya is putting a lot of time in the engineering of their kit details and FIT !

You will enjoy this build compared to others you did !!!! trust me !

take lots of pictures... if you don't make a movie about this !!!! LOL

I'm lovin it! That would make a good slogan. I'm gonna fly through the build and then try to take my time on the finish and dio. I think from now on I'll have 2 builds on the go. It's a nice way to keep interest.

No video for this...maybe a few updates but not the usual. Here are some pics of the detail on the lower hull as mentioned.

detail01.JPG

detail02.JPG

detail03.JPG

I'm going to take a few chunks out of the rubber road wheels but not too much.

Did this tank see a lot of action?

Nope....same kit that Tamiya has had for years.

I think they might have added a few parts and a set of decals to make an Iraqi version, as I think they re-released this kit around '92ish to cash in on the first Gulf War, but otherwise is the same as the original release whenever it came out.

Tamiya armor kits were the origination of the term "shake and bake"

Having a hard time deciding what it is I want to build. I have enough in progress, that I really shouldn't start something new.....but considering this GB goes for a year, I guess I have lots of time to decide! Lord knows I have enough Tamiya kits alone here to choose from (including this one), but might settle on something right out in left field.....gotta be different!!

This is kind of an odd feature (at least to me). The deep wading (fording) snorkel. Could be interesting trying a diorama with this tank exiting the water...but then it would be so clean. :-\

t-72_7.jpg

Moving right along on this one eh Scott?

Gotta love a shake and bake. 8)

Ken man. I think I'm getting to love armor here. Seriously. Did I just say that?

But all kidding aside. 1:35 is a NICE scale. First time for me. And the weathering and diorama possibilities are endless. What have I been waiting for? I don't know.

For sure the King Tiger will be on the bench after this. And I have a Revell Huey that I've wanted to build for a while. But I digress, 2 at a time are enough.

Latest posts

Back