[WIP] Tamiya 1/35 M1025 humvee

TiM

I hope this one fits the rules, having had a look around I wanted to try a scale model but thought I'd best keep it simple...

Then I bought it and opened the kit, more to it than I expected but it should be fun.

hmvee%20box.jpg

hmvee%20open%20box.jpg

uh oh, mistake no.1.

I've never used photo etch so I decided "why not, can't be that much to it".
hmvee%20etch.jpg

However, in the haste of enthusiasm, I didn't realise that there was more than one Tamiya humvee M1025 so got the wrong one by mistake. Only finally dawned on me when I go couldn't figure out the instructions as the kit reference numbers didn't match. I don't want to have to buy the 'right' one so I might use some of it to make some additions, not entirely sure.

Cool. Man just go for it - with the kit. The PE might not fit but like you said, some things could be used to add detail.

Being a Tamiya kit, it should go together well for you. But above all, have fun, don't get all caught up in the details.

i bet it will look great i havent tried photo etched parts myself yet looking forward to it let me know how your expirence with them goes 8)

Ok, so I did some more looking around - I've found that the PE set I got is for an older Tamiya kit which is not as detailed as the one I have. Some of the parts are for details that my kit does now incorporate but I think I'll still use it as a learning experience and save the other bits for something else.

The kit I got has details on the side produced by more modern mould technology - 1 piece body shell;

hmvee%20sprue1.jpg

and the other sprues;

hmvee%20sprue2.jpg

hmvee%20sprue3.jpg

hmvee%20sprue4.jpg

hmvee%20clear%20sprue.jpg

First thing I noted is the incredible level of detail compared to anything I've done before - probably because the plastic is much harder than wargames kits so I have to be careful clipping it off the sprues. Higher quality styrene = more detail, which I'm impressed by!

TiM said:
However, in the haste of enthusiasm, I didn't realise that there was more than one Tamiya humvee M1025 so got the wrong one by mistake. Only finally dawned on me when I go couldn't figure out the instructions as the kit reference numbers didn't match. I don't want to have to buy the 'right' one so I might use some of it to make some additions, not entirely sure.

You should be fine. Just the matter of trying to figure out where everything goes. Hopefully the PE you got isn't to far from the current kit. :)

Yes, quite right.
I looks like the newer model has much better detail than the one the PE is for - some of the plastic moulded details are better than the photoetch.

So, progressing along, I now have an assembled chassis, subframes and transmission...

Almost didn't, I wondered how long it would be before having a beige carpet would be my downfall. Luckily, I noticed the handbrake was missing from the pot of trimmed pieces in time to hunt for it. ;D

hmvee%20chassis2.jpg

Now I'm sticking some of the cabin in.

I do like the way the body shell sits onto the chassis like a proper vehicle, I intend to keep it in sections to paint, only thing I might do is paint the interior before the doors and roof go on.

So far, so good... tempting fate a bit there. :-\

wow looks like quite a bit of detail just there in the chassis, beige carpet lol i speaking of dropping parts i seem to do it a lot i need to invent somthing to catch the items befor they hit the floor

I'm quite surprised myself;

Front closeup - steering rack and anti-roll bar behind wishbones, struts and diff with inboard brakes

hmmvee%20front%20diff%20closeup.jpg

Rear closeup -

hmmvee%20rear%20diff%20closeup.jpg

very precise, no problems putting it together ... I just took my time. ;D

Well I finished sticking everything together as far as I though wise, then undercoated it

hmmvee%20undercoated.jpg

Couple of things I still need to do; I forgot to paint the back of the wheels :-[
and while I'm at it, I thought I could add some valves as theres a small depression in the wheels where they should be.

In the end I decided to forego the photoetch entirely as the few little pieces that do fit wouldn't even be seen on the finished model...

Looks mighty fine !

If I find one... I might try it ! when they sold those for 50$ I cringed at the price...
but sometimes on ebay or HLJ is a sale is on... I'll keep my eyes open !
oh... their new 1/48th Hummer is also... about 48$ pretty incredible hey ?

Your kit looks nice and detailed ! as Scott mentioned ! being Tamiya... it must fall together nicely ?

Glad you are getting ahead with the build ! Can't wait for you to start painting it !

Looking forward to your next update !

Norm.

OUT !

Thanks for that Norm,

It wasn't cheap by any standards, £25, but I thought it'll be worth it for the ease of putting it together and quality as I read Tamiya are pretty good.

I must say I'm impressed with how well it all fits, dry fitting the roof and doors etc. and looking at the pannel gaps - pretty good all round!

Next step is a big one - I've got an airbrush and some paints... and never used one before!
Might have a go later this evening. ;D

Good luck with the air brush!

It may sound weird but "sometimes" the first air brush jobs are the best ones!

Make sure you mix your paint just right. 50/50 for starter! Or more thinner 60/40' it has to have a consistancy of "milk"

Use that mixture at a pressure of 20 psi for starter!! on a piece of paper or scrap styrene and do some
Tests run and get the feel for it.... Adjust the air pressure or the mixture.

Not both at the same time!

Once you like what's coming out! Then move to the model. Keep a wet Q-tip close by to periodically wiping clean the air brush tip....

Happy spraying! Hope you have a mask and spray booth? Health comes first!

Ok, my mixture isn't the key to success but its a start!

Hey TiM,

This was my first look over here, you're building up a sharp looking HumVee. It'll look great once you get some paint on it.

Good tips from Schweinhund227. When I practice with my airbrush I use a scrap piece of corrugated box cardboard with a sheet of white paper taped to it, cheaper than using styrene, and more rigid than spraying a sheet of paper alone.

Good luck.

Sounds like a good idea - there's some cardboard in the recycling box I can practice on 8)

Plan is to paint the chassis first, so any umm... learning experience is underneath! ;D

I have slipped a bit this week and not actually got the paint out, but I plugged a compressor in and that works and the air goes through the airbrush so that's tested.

well that went ok-ish...

Paint didn't clog the airbrush and I only got one little run by putting too much paint on in one spot...
and there might be a fingerprint.

Good to know you finally "broke in" you air brush! Remember, by practicing on cardboard or paper or some old kit you don't care about.... You will find out a lot of "not to do things"

Always start your paint stream... Outside the zone you want to paint.... Always finish you stream on the other side....past the model.

Don't linger in one spot! And don't stand too close, you will get spider webs and runs and don't
Stand too far as the paint "may" land dry onto the model.

Take your time and practice.

Take care.

Good advice thanks.

I have got a small spot where it lingered and made a blob that then created a run...
I didn't notice that there was a pool collecting behind the bit I was trying to paint .

Nice thing about "dull" or Mate paint jobs! A little sanding will enable you to fix that in no time! Just make sure it's nice and level or a small ridge might appear! But it should be easy for you to fix it!

Feel free to share pictures with us.... That's how we all learn

Take care

Latest posts

Back