What Air Compressor do I get?

Bouryaki

Remember, "Lifes the Journey, Not the destination"
G'Day all,

I feel the need to get a new air compressor for my hobby spraying and I squarely blame this forum for this urge due to the high standard of builds being done (yes I'm jealous). My current compressor is a domestic unit from Bunnings (Hardware store) and it's loud, so loud my family won't come into the garage when I'm using it, although some might think that is good. It doesn't help me get my son involved in 'our hobby'.

Anyhow can anyone give me advice on what to look for in a 'hobby compressor'. Noise is a huge issue shortly followed by 'bang for buck'....

I've been looking at the AS18B (see attached photo).

Any assistance or direction would be appreciated.

Regards,

Craig.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bottom line is that noise (or lack thereof) is inversely proportional to the price of the compressor. Without getting into exotic (albeit legitimate) air sources like CO2 tanks etc, or the truly silent compressors (which cost 4 figures easy) any of the basic piston compressors from Badger, Paashe, Iwata, H&S (to name but a few) are going to be relatively quiet: You can carry on a conversation with one running, but it would annoy the heck out of someone trying to watch TV (if they hypothetically were in the same room). I have Badger T&C AirStar and with the door closed the sound is such that my wife knows that I'm using it but is otherwise not at all bothered by it.

Prices for these kinds of compressors can range from $100 on sale to $350+ depending on features such as regulator, gauge, moisture trap, pressure tank etc. Bare minimum in my mind is a regulator, followed by gauge and moisture trap (generally you get all three together). A cooling hose is nice if the unit doesn't have a pressure tank which of course is sort of the ultimate.

I'll be doing a full review of a brand new model shortly which promises to be a winner... stay tuned!

Jeeves,

Jeeves said:
Well...if you ask 10 different people, you'll get 10 different answers ;). I have had this one from Harbor Freight for a couple years and love it. It comes with the regulator and gauge, moisture trap, and despite a little vibration, is pretty quiet.
Thanks for the quick response, the link and the comment.

sunsanvil said:
I'll be doing a full review of a brand new model shortly which promises to be a winner... stay tuned!
Sunsanvil,

I look forward to your review..........

Thanks again fellas.

Latest posts

Back