W.I.P. - Moebius 1/32 BSG Colonial Viper MKII

Your build's looking good, Splash.

And, in Moebius defense on the thrusters being decals, the full sized props didn't have the RCS on them at all.
I think the decals were a compromise in case someone wanted to build the 1:1 instead of the cgi versions

Quaralane said:
Your build's looking good, Splash.

And, in Moebius defense on the thrusters being decals, the full sized props didn't have the RCS on them at all.
I think the decals were a compromise in case someone wanted to build the 1:1 instead of the cgi versions

That's a fair argument; Moebius did go to great lengths to include research and options for building whichever version the builder wanted. I'm just comparing this kit to others I've built, a Hasegawa aircraft kit or two come to mind, where entire fuselage sections were marked on the inside of the kit part to indicate areas that needed to be removed, drilled through, folded, spindled or mutilated. All in all this is a great kit... maybe I'm just nit-picking when it comes to little details like the RCS thrusters... and, if the extra tooling raised the overall price of the kit I'm sure there would be much more numerous and louder complaints.

Cheers.

While the paint dries...
Scratchbuilt launch hook for the front landing gear leg.
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

And hollowed out the pilot's helmet.
scaled.php

Braver man than I am with that helmet.
When I did my MK3 build, I just cut the helmet free and pinned it down so no one could see it wasn't hollow

The goofy thing is that I'm probably just going to place it open side down... no one will know it's an actual hollow helmet but me. :p

The mad thing would be to hollow the face-mask to replace it with a clear plastic (thermoform it before doing anything) :D

Splashcoat said:
The goofy thing is that I'm probably just going to place it open side down... no one will know it's an actual hollow helmet but me. :p

SPLASH ,

If you are gonna go that far, why not cut out th Visor & replace it with some Clear Styrene ??

Keep on gettin' it !! She's lookin Hawt !

\m/

I was going to cut out the faceplate; but some exploratory surgery on the pilot's arm revealed that the resin used to cast this figure is far too brittle to allow the 1/16" wide chin area of the helmet to remain intact. If I get around to it, I'm going to cast the helmet in clear resin, hollow it out, and paint the rest of the helmet around the faceplate. Probably not for this build, but I have another MK2 in my stash for later.

That might be a better plan, Splashcoat.
I thought about something similar for one of mine, but decided against it

I agree, that is a very good idea.
On the model's progress: simply looks great! You've done a remarkable job with drilling the thrusters, accurising landing gear, painting and everything. Can't wait to see it finished! :)

First decal problem.
The yellow Colonial symbol to be applied over painted-on red stripes disappears when applied over a painted-on red stripe.
dsc0010aq.jpg

There really is a decal there.

Sorry to see that it's still happening.
And I regret not warning you about it.

For the ones where I painted the stripes, I would up cutting the emblems out of the stripe markings. Those, apparently, aren't translucent.

Latest posts

Back