Trumpeter 1/32 P-47-11-RE Razorback

I

Ialarmu

Here's a P-47 That I've started for a group build on another forum.

2262bt-1.jpg

Sprue Shots:

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3013.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

Kit Decals:

IMG_3026.jpg

Replacement:

barbc32002.jpg

Paint scheme will be 1st Lieutenant Frank Oiler's "Eileen" based at Duxford England early summer 1944.

Started the engine first. This is all OOB.

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

So far I'm really impressed with the level of detail this kit has to offer. 2 engine types to choose from is really nice...if I knew anything about the radial engines of this period I'd probably be ecstatic LOL!

I used Alclad aluminum for the pipes,Citidel Mithril silver for the cylinder heads and Tamiya acrylics(Hybrid mix's) for the engine mount.

I got a good start on the pit,

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

I somehow got the idea that I would try "lighting" the gauges so I drilled the lenses backing to make way for that but, looking at what was involved I chickened out.

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3067.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

Maybe next time....., I tried to make the gauges stand out more but I think the panel is too thick so I just filled up the holes with white and gave the gauges the future treatment.

IMG_3105.jpg

They don't stand out as much as I'd hoped but I'll live with it.

IMG_3108.jpg

That's one hell of a kit, and your off to a great start.
A very nice clean build there Ialarmu.
I will be watching this one mate.
Joolz.

Im with Joolz on this one Bud, Great looking kit great looking start there. your not building for the build off at P-47 Heaven!!! Paul..

I'm with speedser who is with Joolz. I saw some big birds at the Shearwater model show today and it really got me wanting to build one, then I come home and see this. Great start to what's sure to be an amazing build.

She is massive in 1/48th I can only imagine how Big she must be in 32nd...

Great details so far !!!!

Keep up the good work !

Thanks for the kind words guys, I've been hitting this build hard this week, I only started it last weekend.

Another update,

Trumpeter has done something interesting but, unusual here.
They have designed this kit with the entire intake/outake manifold completely intact. I was not going to build it but had to as it's integral to the fit of the cockpit, and the fuselage.

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

Much, Much dry fitting here, I would be lying if I said the fit here was good, I had to take a lighter and gently warm and bend some of the air pipes to fit the cockpit. we'll have a fight with putting the fuselage halves together tonight.

IMG_3104.jpg

Wish me luck....

IMG_3103.jpg

Had a go with the engine cowling, I also had to redo the wiring for the engine as I broke a few of them off during dry fit.

I have checkered decals for this paint scheme but, I tried the first one and found right away that not all 1/32 kits are created equal. Universal decals of this ilk can have real fit issues so, I decided to paint the checks on myself.

IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3124-1.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

After paint was fully cured Approx 48 hrs or so, I distressed the paintwork with a fine sanding stick for a real "HEY I'm in theater and gonna Kick your butt!!" worn type look.

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

I also got the fuselage halves together, fit wasn't the greatest so I had to use a fair bit of CA and Kicker to get it right.

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

Thanks for looking guys!!

So freaking cool. It's a huge kit. I have an issue of FSM here that has a feature article on that kit. You are doing a great job.

That's the first tiem I've seen one of these being built, I must say that I am impressed, not only with the kit, but the build as well. Keep up the great work.

Well group, another update we had some crummy weather here this weekend so I could only work on my P-47....DANG!!!

Anyways, I got the wings all together and sanded, I did a lot of dry fitting as the wingroots were terrible.

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

This is where I'm at right now, I still have some filling, sanding, scribing and rivet replacing to do, we'll see how the week goes I may be painting by the weekend, Man I love 9-5...!!

IMG_3148.jpg

I had a yearning to paint after all that wing buisness so I had a play with the flaps. These will be shown on the model extended.

Decided to paint on the red portion on the flaps myself.

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

I mixed my own RAF sky colour, Is it close?

IMG_3153.jpg

Wow, very impressive! That's a great kit, and you're doing an excellent job with it. I'm really impressed by your home-made checkerboard on the cowling, very meticulous and clean masking, and it turned out great.

I'm with the others, you're giving me the itch to break out one of the 1/32 kits in my stash and end a 30+ year drought in building large scale ;D

Oh great! Now I don't have any drool left! I used all mine looking at your T-bolt!

Does anyone have a cup of drool I can borrow? I want to look at other builds on the site and I am fresh out of my own. :D

Very cool indeed sir.

Update, I finally got some paint down. A lot of surface prep, I must have puttied,CA'd and painted the belly seems 5 times. It just kept cracking.

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

Primer coat on, It revealed even more things I had missed so back to the sanding sticks.

IMG_3164.jpg

Alclad Aluminum...

IMG_3165.jpg

2 coats of future (brushed on)

IMG_3167.jpg

Preshading

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

RAF sky applied to the belly section

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

Next will be Invasion stripes on the wing bottoms.

Latest posts

Back